Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water for softwashing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Had a phone call today from ionics trying to sell me one of there thermion soft washing machines , the guy said hot water at 60-70 degrees and hypochlorite work far better than cold water mix , I was of the understanding that bleach didn’t work well with hot water , what’s your thoughts especially @kevinc250 , @Dave B , @Iron Giant and any other chemical experts on hear .

Had a phone call today from ionics trying to sell me one of there thermion soft washing machines , the guy said hot water at 60-70 degrees and hypochlorite work far better than cold water mix , I was of the understanding that bleach didn’t work well with hot water , what’s your thoughts especially @kevinc250 , @Dave B , @Iron Giant and any other chemical experts on hear .
I might have once been a chemical expert but that was a very long time ago :ROFLMAO:

As you know I'm no chemical expert. I recently told a customer of mine about my new hot water system. He instantly warned me against using Hypo. He was a former dairyman from your neck of the woods, after that he owned a farm shop where they sold Hypo. I believe dairy is the main use for Hypo. He said about the toxins it can give off if used with hot water.

As you know I'm no chemical expert. I recently told a customer of mine about my new hot water system. He instantly warned me against using Hypo. He was a former dairyman from your neck of the woods, after that he owned a farm shop where they sold Hypo. I believe dairy is the main use for Hypo. He said about the toxins it can give off if used with hot water.
That’s interesting, I think it might have been from talking to @kevinc250 that it was said dont use hot water with hypo. I have just been watching ionics videos promoting 60 degree water with hypo ?? I cannot imagine a firm like ionics making a drastic mistake about this but was a bit unsure .

When water heats up, its molecules move faster and bounce off each other more. This creates more space between the molecules that can be filled with dissolved solvents. As a result, hot water can dissolve much more material than cold water.
It will probably allow the hypo to give off more fumes especially using boiling water.

That’s interesting, I think it might have been from talking to @kevinc250 that it was said dont use hot water with hypo. I have just been watching ionics videos promoting 60 degree water with hypo ?? I cannot imagine a firm like ionics making a drastic mistake about this but was a bit unsure .
it would not have been me paul, i would have said say, ddac@ 45c but no way hypo,

Hi Kevin , so are you saying hot water with hypo is a no no ??
in all honesty paul, i've no idea, its something i have never considered however, ionics never "invent" anything off their own back its usually taken from another industry and adapted to suit. from a very quick look at one of there videos i think from there website or you tube i viewed a patio clean filmed back in 2019 ok many people were still in the dark even back then but, i did note-correct me if i am wrong that they stated the use of hypochlorite, this could be either sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite from there lack of ppe apart from the paper suit which looks good it might be calcium hypochlorite that was used the end result was shockingly bad.
have a look at the site department of health/the use of bleach.gov.uk ok maybe not the most concise answer ever but i'd personally give that thought a miss, it would be cheaper in the long run to buy benz.
spend your money on a new bike or a holiday would be my advice.

It’s an old wives tale that bleach breaks down too quick in hot water it only really affects it when storing in hot temperatures
It works effectively in hot water due to the short time it is hot
That is the only reason I can think of as you will still get the chlorine gas in the air so should wear ppe and if it’s working quicker you may get more gas quicker
Apart from that I see no issue as heat speeds up chemical reactions while cleaning

in all honesty paul, i've no idea, its something i have never considered however, ionics never "invent" anything off their own back its usually taken from another industry and adapted to suit. from a very quick look at one of there videos i think from there website or you tube i viewed a patio clean filmed back in 2019 ok many people were still in the dark even back then but, i did note-correct me if i am wrong that they stated the use of hypochlorite, this could be either sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite from there lack of ppe apart from the paper suit which looks good it might be calcium hypochlorite that was used the end result was shockingly bad.
have a look at the site department of health/the use of bleach.gov.uk ok maybe not the most concise answer ever but i'd personally give that thought a miss, it would be cheaper in the long run to buy benz.
spend your money on a new bike or a holiday would be my advice.
Thanks Kevin , I have no intention of buying one of there thermion softwash setups they cold called me trying to sell me one but Ime not interested in it but just had a chat with the guy when he said about using hot water I was a bit surprised as I didn’t think you should use hot with hypo ?? Thanks as always for your wise words

Thanks Kevin , I have no intention of buying one of there thermion softwash setups they cold called me trying to sell me one but Ime not interested in it but just had a chat with the guy when he said about using hot water I was a bit surprised as I didn’t think you should use hot with hypo ?? Thanks as always for your wise words
Kevin wise???

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of the subject but it's something I looked into briefly a while ago, and as I understand it hot water is detrimental with bleach and weakens it.
Should only be mixed with cold water.

I don't claim to have any real knowledge of the subject but it's something I looked into briefly a while ago, and as I understand it hot water is detrimental with bleach and weakens it.
Should only be mixed with cold water.
That’s what I thought , but opinions seam to differ saying either is ok ??so Ime really not sure ?????

That’s what I thought , but opinions seam to differ saying either is ok ??so Ime really not sure ?????
Thought I'd Google it because that's where I got info previously and a government website for gov.hk (Hong Kong???) says :
"Cold water should be used for dilution as hot water decomposes the active ingredient of bleach and renders it ineffective."

But as you say there are other opinions saying the opposite. I'd like to think government websites are accurate but there's no guarantee of that.

Back