Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Making pure in house,

johnny bravo

what is the cheapest route to making pure apart from my 300 RO + 10 inch Di vessel.

taking me around 8 hours for 220 litres, mind this is without a booster pump.

does an extra RO membrane added make more pure ,

at the moment doing it from kitchen, pure going through RO tubing through kitchen window into a 220 garden butt, all water pipes are based on frontal side of property,

as im doing more wfp work i need more water.

i dont want one in van.

im going to sort something in small out house near front door, not as big as a shed but can be done if planned right., then drain it into a bigger tank to transfer into van

There is no cheapest route to making pure with an RO/DI setup really as once you start wanting to produce more pure your costs will go up. However if you after saving time then using a 4040 or 4021 RO/DI set up would help.

If you have a RoMan type of filter with 3 x 100 GPD membranes, replace those with 3 x 150 GPD membranes.

If you have an r/o with 2 housings, each with 150 GPD membranes then get a 150GPD upgrade kit. RoMan used to sell them. Daqua also sell them. This will take you to a 450GPD r/o.

In both cases you will have to upgrade your inline waste restrictor if you have one.

If you have one of the single 300 GPD membranes, then I think you can add another to make it a 600 GPD. I have no experience with this make. I think Vyair sell them amongst others.

You will also need to upgrade your water butt to an IBC tank. If you are using a small r/o, you need to have a reserve of water which a 220 liter water butt won't give you. We found that we needed the weekend to build up that reserve. We would start the week with a full IBC tank and full vans in order to get through the week. Sometimes a day of bad weather was a blessing as it allowed us to catch up with water production.

My advice is to get a 4040 and be done with it. I wish we had done that years ago.

Actually Smurf's got an idea. The TDS in Teesside is around 115 - 125ppm. I know of a couple of windies that are di only as they need extra water and can't be asked with messing on with an r/o.

DI route only with a tap tds of 138 will cost roughly £80 (25ltr bag of resin) to produce 4,000 ltr of pure water so is not cheap in my book.

82 ppm coming out of my kitchen tap a second ago in Saltburn. It used to be 254 a few years ago (using same calibrated tds meter) before they relined the water pipes.

4040 works great with 50 psi and a flow of around 15 litres per minute using an HF5 membrane and no booster pump. Its not as fast as it could be if it was boosted but at 2 liters per minute pure, that's quick enough for us.

20" prefilters x 2 (1 x sediment as the water is full of sediment and 1 x Fiberdyne carbon block processing 78,000 litres per change.) With a pure to waste ratio of 55% waste to 45% pure we get around 35000 liters of pure. We change sediment filter every month depending on conditions and Fiberdyne every +- 3 months at the 78,000 liter mark when an alarm goes off. Water after r/o but before Di is between 1 and 3, usually 2.

The dedicated water inlet to the r/o is on a solenoid valve controlled by a float valve in the IBC tank. When water is drawn ( about 200 liters) the float valves activates the solenoid valve and fills the ibc tank again. The only planning I do now is to fill my van up with water at night. If the other vans take water the next day there will always be enough for my van the following evening.

I started wfping after doing trad for a number of years. I'm short so I had to carry another step ladder to reach the top of the bottom windows. I would only wish I was taller when I compared the speed of the tall trad guys against my own. A few in my situation used to stand on old milk trays/boxes to reach but I thought that wasn't giving a very professional business image. Once I went to wfp it took me a few minutes to decide that I was so much better off poling all the windows. So I needed the water to do that from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
you must not weigh much spruce, if you used to stand on old MILK TRAY BOXES, all because the customer loves milk tray,/emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/wink.png

what price would i be looking at to get started with a 4040. this may be an option to plan for..

i could only find 1 link on youtube . give me an idea of size and what else it involves to set one up.

atm 500 litres will do, but as i go i am cleaning more houses wholly with wfp.

Back