Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ladder spikes!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mufcglen

was on a clean today and got chatting to anouther windie who took a look at my ladders and said i best get something for the base in case they slip as the h&s guy will have me for not having anything other than the ladder rubbers, then he shown me some ladder spikes that basically are two pointed strips bolted to each side and the ladders stand on them, he said theyre great on things like decking and digs in on floor good wothout leaving too much of a mark.

anyone heard of these as i cant find any for sale anywhere?

mine have been on permanent last 3years, actually ever since i had a ladder slip out on on me at which point i bought spikes . they grip very well on hard surfaces , catching on even the smallest lip

every now n then i sharpen the spike edge with a file

the only surface they wont grip on is a quarry tiled path because the gap between the tiles is too small for spike to get a hold in . in winter spikes dig in thru snow /ice very well ,excellent grip -times like that when i wouldnt dream of using a rubber/plastic ladder foot.

well after typing this question i actually fell off the ladders today!!!!

was on some bone dry decking not slippy and as i kept moving the ladders to each window,there was one window rght at the side of the house and i didnt check the decking but ladders felt solid, i just presumed it was dry like rest of deck but it was wet and slippy!

got to the window ledge before the ladders went down just the guy on the compo advert drilling the wall every day lol

felt a right tit,was lucky though it wasnt that high.

after i did the job i went straight to the window cleaning shop and the guy said he wont sell spike as theyre not health and safety being sharp spikes and said theyre not very good but this windie i spoke to yesterday been doing it for 16 yrs and swears by them saying you can put them on any surface pretty much.

i ended up buying these little alu things called footee by laddermat, they dig in the grass and on decking they go between the boards and look pretty sturdy so gonna give these a go but thats the last time i risk it on decking that i should have known better on!

oh think the guy said the spikes are made by a company called moxon or something like that

Glad to hear that you are ok @cheshire window cleaning after your ladder fall.

Just goes to show how easy it is to take a tumble that's why after a scare or two myself I use an ankalad stabaliser now.

What you just bought I've had for a couple of years now & swear by them on decking. You can also use em when the decking is laid the other way (longways). Good on the grass to & leave no marks. Have used em loads of times on wet decking & so far so good.

I use them to. 4 mats so enough to get most places level. Use them on shingle & slippery surfaces & been good so far. Also they protect people's grass when the ground is very soft & good on soft soil, stop yer ladder digging right in.

got it!cant wait to use them, anyone used the ladder mat that levels out the floor and do they grip well?
dont use them if its slippy and by that i include damp. i fell the full drop when laddermats slipped out on me on a pathway in October a few yrs ago

later i learned of others this had happened to so beware

Crazy tests to show foot the ladder works on flat none sloping ground.

Downside I'm thinking when out working it will not be anygood on uneven surfaces. Also when there is a none removable obstacle in the way or when you need to set the ladder on sloping ground whilst using ladder leveller type devices.

Still looks a handy device though to help stop backward slip on flat/level surfaces whilst working on your own.

Example pic of slippery decking laid the other way which also had approx 3" fall (slope) from the wall of the house to the grass to boot.

View attachment 2415

Customer told me he has slipped on it a few times and the last time he came out of the patio door he slipped and fell back inside pulling his curtains down as he fell. Now that made me chuckle :D

I have ordered ladders yesterday from midlands ladders and they are giving free fitted feet which look the business but wont know until they arrive in January

I would like to see someone say clear the guttering and/or clean the windows on this one just using normal ladders.

The decking was so leathal even the landlord had put caution signs up inside the back door and on the deck railing down the garden to warn everyone :rolleyes:

View attachment 2455

I have ordered ladders yesterday from midlands ladders and they are giving free fitted feet which look the business but wont know until they arrive in January
dont want to rain on yer parade but on a diffrent forum a lad wrote those feet let go on him, just saying .

if theyre rubber,remember that rubber loses its grip on damp or dusty ground . i used to think rubber gripped good (on damp or dusty surface) until my laddermat fall incident and then later read about and learned it doesnt and is known not to

That reminds me that job the landlord hasn't paid me yet so I better chase him up /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back