Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flocked sill brush

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Den

Have used four different brushes so far and without a doubt in my mind the flocked sill brush is my favourite,

These are how I rate them.

1. The flocked sill to me this brush as a large cleaning area the radius design gets into all the crooks and crannies for a good clean.

2. Super lite Medium mix quite a good brush feels more sturdy slightly more cleaning area due to the bristles being slightly longer than the ultimate flock.

3. Ultimate flock used this a couple of times now, I'm not liking as much as the flocked sill seems to take longer to clean than the sill brush maybe it's just me.

4. Cladding brush this is a small flocked brush duel trim havn't used much small trial own Windows. got a small conny roof due next week so getting tested then.

I know it's been covered before but for me the flocked sill is my go to brush what's your go to brush and why.

Iv just got the slx 35 with the flocked sill brush I don't like it it feels like it's draging on the glass wish I'd got the medium mixed now. I use the ultimate soft normally have one fitted on each pole.

Ultimate medium soft think that's the first time I have heard that mentioned just checked gardiner's brush guide look's a good brush.

Den.

The drag on the glass you feel with the flocked brushes is them doing a good job. Because the bristles are flocked/split there's more contact with the glass thus more friction. This can be a blessing and a curse in my experience. I love the flocked for easy maintenance cleans and leaded work, even first cleans, but when dealing with lots of plant or tree debris after a storm they quickly become loaded with a lot of muck and then their cleaning power rapidly decreases and a ton of rinsing is necessary. So when this happens I switch the brush for a good dual trim medium soft mono. My current favorite mono is the X-Line Evo-Lite. Seems to take a lot of abuse and keep it's shape

Ultimate medium soft think that's the first time I have heard that mentioned just checked gardiner's brush guide look's a good brush.
Den.
Might just give it a go when my EvoLite wears out. Mind you the way it's going at the moment that will probably be a fair while.

thanks Mark for your insight, after posting this I used the ultimate flock again today on my own house and found that I flew round in record time and checked back a couple of hours later and was really happy with the clean.

Funny how you can change your mind on certain days as the last time I used it I had the same effect as you with quite a bit of debris and found it clogged up a bit, think I still prefer the flocked sill brush as the bristle are longer and easier to unclog with a flick or two big learning curve for me but I'm enjoying it.

Hi Den, Good to hear you're getting stuck in there and enjoying it. Like you are already finding nothing is carved in stone in this job.

All of us will have the same basic bits of kit necessary for our business. There will also be a lot variations within those basic bits of kit and there will be other tools specific to your own business that will vary somewhat from other windies kits. You will probably find you have lots of good ideas or prefer one brush or pole over another, but down the line find you no longer have use for it or your opinion has changed as you have found a better way or your round has evolved in some way. I remember a time when I didn't think I could ever work without a scraper of some sort attached to my brush. I haven't had one on there for years now. Over time your kit will become finely tuned to your needs and will serve you well.

Re the sill brush, I've gotten so used to dual trim brushes for cleaning windows I can't get on with Gardiner's sill brush at all on glass. I've even wondered if it was designed for cleaning windows or just sills. Perhaps Alex will see this and enlighten us.

To me anyway, it's shape seems to defy all logic for window cleaning. I find it doesn't splay well due to the round profile (long bristles in the middle instead of short ones). Having no bristles at the ends I keep clouting the frames which concerns me as I can see it leaving marks on white PVC. It's great for sills though, which I suppose is not surprising. /emoticons/biggrin.png:D

However, all of this is only my experience with it and I know that for others it's their everyday favorite.

I actually got it for fascia and soffit cleaning where, due to it's narrow stock it works very well at getting behind fascia mounted gutters and between downpipes and cladding. I will probably have it for years if I don't lose it like I nearly did last week. Left it behind on a job. Thankfully got it back

Hello Mark,

Think you could be right mate, as this is a new round most of the work as been first cleans and probably why I have preferred the sill get into just about everywhere, but after using the ultimate flock yesterday on my own clean windows I must admit it cleaned really well in double quick time next week I will be doing my first maintence cleans and will mix them about a bit and see what how I feel then cheers.

Hi Den, Good to hear you're getting stuck in there and enjoying it. Like you are already finding nothing is carved in stone in this job.All of us will have the same basic bits of kit necessary for our business. There will also be a lot variations within those basic bits of kit and there will be other tools specific to your own business that will vary somewhat from other windies kits. You will probably find you have lots of good ideas or prefer one brush or pole over another, but down the line find you no longer have use for it or your opinion has changed as you have found a better way or your round has evolved in some way. I remember a time when I didn't think I could ever work without a scraper of some sort attached to my brush. I haven't had one on there for years now. Over time your kit will become finely tuned to your needs and will serve you well.

Re the sill brush, I've gotten so used to dual trim brushes for cleaning windows I can't get on with Gardiner's sill brush at all on glass. I've even wondered if it was designed for cleaning windows or just sills. Perhaps Alex will see this and enlighten us.

To me anyway, it's shape seems to defy all logic for window cleaning. I find it doesn't splay well due to the round profile (long bristles in the middle instead of short ones). Having no bristles at the ends I keep clouting the frames which concerns me as I can see it leaving marks on white PVC. It's great for sills though, which I suppose is not surprising. /emoticons/biggrin.png:D

However, all of this is only my experience with it and I know that for others it's their everyday favorite.

I actually got it for fascia and soffit cleaning where, due to it's narrow stock it works very well at getting behind fascia mounted gutters and between downpipes and cladding. I will probably have it for years if I don't lose it like I nearly did last week. Left it behind on a job. Thankfully got it back
This brush was designed as such to be a bit of an 'all-rounder'. It can clean windows and sills, but is also great for conservatory roofs, gutters, fascias, paintwork etc. Personally I would not use it for everyday window cleaning as I prefer a dual-trim brush such as the Ultimate or Supreme brushes.

My ultimate flock is single trim not duel trim is there two different sorts?
You're right!!! Only been using mine for about 3 months. :laugh::laugh: Must be because it's so nice to use. I know I didn't like the single trim monos I started out with because they didn't splay easily. Just goes to show, you learn things all the time.

This brush was designed as such to be a bit of an 'all-rounder'. It can clean windows and sills, but is also great for conservatory roofs, gutters, fascias, paintwork etc. Personally I would not use it for everyday window cleaning as I prefer a dual-trim brush such as the Ultimate or Supreme brushes.
Thanks for the info Alex. It is a good brush for sills, conny roofs, fascias and such, and I wouldn't want to be without it in my arsenal of tools. But for window cleaning it's not precise enough for me, if that makes any sense. I also was not able to master it on the swivel. The Ultimate flocked is my goto brush for most work. It's brilliant on the swivel and if I need to give the sills extra attention I normally turn the brush down with the angle adapter.

Back