Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Expenses on a weekly basis....

Damo

Trying to work out expenses on a weekly basis to run a WC business.

So far

Fuel

PLI

Van insurance

Water

Van Tax

Bank fees.

I don't mean like buy a pole. It last a 3 years. Then work out what it costs per week. Just like core expenses really?

What are the obv ones please.

Rubbers, scraper blades, cleaning chemicals.

I'm planning on upping my price by a few dollars for all consumables used to clean my customers windows - soon as I spreadsheet it all up and figure it out.

The tools themselves (handles, channels, poles etc,,.) I won't try to spread across customers because (a) they don't need to be replaced and (b) I'll just keep buying **** I don't need because I'm a stupid consumer, and customers shouldn't "foot" the bill on what are really just toys I don't need to buy at all.

But rubbers, blades, chemicals, and travel costs are depleted each job, so it's only fair the customers split the bill between em. It'll only come to $5/£2 extra per customer, but I do a good job so shouldn't be paying for that stuff out my own money.

Oh, freight for online orders too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A % of council tax if your running it from home and use 1 room as an office, plus I think you can claim for food whilst your working within reason I don't do it personally as I don't stop for lunch as done by 3 anyway

Uniforms. You should also have a universal tax rebate for laundering work clothing (not worth much but still entitled to it). Stamps, envelopes, computer, every van expense (purchase cost or depreciation, fuel, tax, servicing, spare parts, mot fee, insurance etc). Bank charges (if you have them for business account). Advertising. All consumables and equipment costs.

I don't really consider the costs when it comes to calculating my prices....I usually base that on what I would like to earn and what the market will accept. I do keep all receipts for every purchase though, stick them in a folder, add them up and deduct from my income (apart from the van that I plan to claim as a depreciating asset over three years if HMRC still allow this). My income for the year minus these expenses is what I use to calculate my profit (or loss) every self assessment.

Back