How High Would You Go On A Ladder?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Window Cleaning Rayleigh, Feb 26, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Window Cleaning Rayleigh

Window Cleaning Rayleigh Well-Known Member

Just had a call from a client who lives in a large townhouse, so 3 windows tall! How many of you would use a ladder to clear the gutters? I've personally not been quite that high, I don't have a gutter vac unfortunately as all my gutter jobs have always been regular height houses which I have no problem with!! I have a bloke to foot the ladder as well!

Advertisement
  2. mark m

mark m Hero

When I was younger I would go up the highest of ladders but now I just say no or use the gutter vac

3. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

personally i would pass on it, even tho i can get hold of and use class 1 ladders and have someone foot the ladder.

dont mind going doing normal houses gutters.

4. Knoxy

Knoxy Well-Known Member

Even though I do a lot of rock climbing and I'm not to bothered about heights I'd turn it down.

5. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Personal preference to be faire, I would do it lol. In saying that maybe its a good idea to get a gutter vac now? Cant you go down price it but price it really well, enough to cover the cost of the poles anyway. Then could you buy the vac. Another 2-4 jobs and your in profit?

6. Window Cleaning Rayleigh

I'm torn between yes and no at the moment, I've got to ring her back tonight to tell her if I can do it. I've given her a quote of £120 for a 5m length at the front and she said that would be fine as it was high! What kind of prices am I looking at for a decent gutter vac, anyone got any links?

7. mr shine

mr shine Guru

how bad are the gutters,if theres sods of turf in them then its possible that the vac wont do the job .

8. TobySampson

TobySampson Well-Known Member

It'd do it by hand but use a ladder stand off, I don't bother at normal height. The cheapest gutter vac I've seen has been £400 on eBay that's for a 30ft reach. You'd probably need a 36ft set though for a gutter that high.

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Even though the HSE guide is 9 m max ladder height I would not go that high with a freestanding ladder to clear out guttering. :D

As an example I did this one using a 4200 watt guttervac and still struggled at the back to remove some sods but after a lot of fecking about just managed to do it.

Was not a full height 3 storey property either but the gap was ok and made it a lot easier as the gutters were half round.

View attachment 1867

If the gap is very small between the gutter and tile overhang then your are stuffed too as trying at that height to clear blocked gutters & downspouts in near on impossible to do

10. Window Cleaning Rayleigh

Just full so usual ****, moss, leaves etc, I've not seen in there myself, but she recently had solar panels fitted and they informed her they'd need doing. When I gave her a rough quote of £120 I was expecting her to say it was too expensive tbh lol!

Have seen some gutter vacs but been told to get at least a 3000w one or wouldn't be powerful enough

Advertisement