how long did it take

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by jambo113, Jan 6, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

hi just wondering how long it took everyone to get to 100 customers, ive been going for a couple of months now and struggling to get a substantial round built up ive been trying all sorts im getting about 3-4 new customers a week and not even halfway to my target.

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

3 or 4 customers a week isn't too bad buddy, it really isn't an over ***ht thing building a round. I have been at it now for a about 5 years, and we have over 600 customers now. But I started out just like you, picking up a few new customers each week, and getting out door knocking and flyer dropping as often as I could.

Just keep at it!

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

I was just thinking the same thing laddergarder, 3-4 new customers a week sounds pretty reasonable to me!. Though i suppose if starting from scratch with no other income that may well seem frustratingly slow. I bought part of a large round off another window cleaner, thats how i got started, and because i then already had enough to pay the bills, i havnt really bothered about canvassing or advertising. More customers keep trickling in, mainly through word of mouth, and people seeing my van, so i aint complaining, esp given the current economic climate!. Keep at it Jambo!.

4. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

thanks. you said you bought a round to start with whats the price you pay for a round seen someone selling one on ebay for 900pound and its for 145 worth of work a month thats like 6x the monthly income is that right?

5. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

That, unfortunately, is one of those 'how long is a bit of string' questions!. It really boils down to whether or not someone is willing to pay that price, which in turn, for you, means sitting down and working out if it would be a viable option for you, from a financial point of view right now (i.e, can you afford to pay out £900 right now). In the long term, if you can afford it, and as long as the work being sold is 'good', that is, reliable good paying customers, then yes it would be worth while buying it, as thats going to work out at £1740 per year, or a little more if it is per 4 weeks. For what its worth, bearing in mind i am no expert on the going rate for work, it seems a little steep, i would have thought 4 x monthly income a better price, so if you do go for it, try to knock the price down a bit. Have you been on www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk?, they have a work for sale section, might be worth a look?.

6. you will find as you become more experienced and find what your customers are looking for your finger will be more on the pulse and you'll pick up customers quicker than before, my advice keep changing your leaflets, canvassing technique, and areas until you find out what works best for you there are so many variable that you need to constantly adjust your stratedgy, it does become easier with time just stick at it. to start with i literally put leaflets out 8 hours a day every day for a solid month come rain hale or shine then cut back to about 4 hours a day, i constantly changed my lealfet until i was getting the best results, i still put out an average of 600 lealfets a week it ongoing always, as you pick up more and more customers you'll get more through word of mouth and people stopping you in the street, every area is different sometimes offering the first clean free or a free inside window clean free helps, sometime putting an approx. price on your leaflet helps (not including conservatory's) just keep trying something new until you get it right, it worth it in the end

7. A.K WINDOWS

sorry to hijack the thread but col how many people was ringing you when you 1st put leaflets out when you started?

8. between 10-20 per week i started at the end of february just beofre spring

9. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

thanks for the advice col ill keep on with the leaflets ive got a few ideas i want to change on my next batch did you buy high quality gloss ones or just the plain one colour leaflets? what did you find worked best?

10. i tried all the glossy ones but simple black and white printed on a4 at home works best for me by far

Advertisement