Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Jobs on the side?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rob and Emma

Been asked to do some gutters and clean fascias as well as windows, not a problem got ladders, tools and researched prices before we even started the business

However weve been asked to do some rubbish removals, weve got a car and prices in mind but does anyone do this and are their restrictions on having a license all I can find on internet is license needed if using a van, is this true? the car is a zafira tourer and know by doing our own tip runs we can fit a lot inside and weve used roof for shifting sofas (tied down on roof rack with ratchet belt thing)

Any restrictions on doing this ??

Thanks

Where I am pick ups, vans etc need a ticket from the council, even if its domestic use, if its business use you have to pay.

Wish I had spare time for jobs on the side....... don't have time for my main jobs.

Been asked to do some gutters and clean fascias as well as windows, not a problem got ladders, tools and researched prices before we even started the business
However weve been asked to do some rubbish removals, weve got a car and prices in mind but does anyone do this and are their restrictions on having a license all I can find on internet is license needed if using a van, is this true? the car is a zafira tourer and know by doing our own tip runs we can fit a lot inside and weve used roof for shifting sofas (tied down on roof rack with ratchet belt thing)

Any restrictions on doing this ??

Thanks
You mean eggstra jobs on the side?

Sorry, couldn't resist :rofl:

Anyway.... back to business, does anyone shift waste/rubbish or do tip runs

"where there's muck theres money!" my granddads saying, we do clean windows afterall...

I don't do rubbish clearance but sometimes find myself saying yes when I should be saying no...I've now got customers waiting on me to mow a back lawn, re-bead/restrain a couple of windows and yesterday agreed to build a gate to stop a dog escaping...the rubbish clearance I imagine you could get away with but technically you shouldn't be dropping trade waste at a residential council tip...if you became a regular visitor you might find questions get asked and without a waste operators licence what you would be doing is probably not lawful...if you only did a few per year you would probably fly under the radar though.

Hey,

This I what I used to do before getting this window cleaning bug!

As for the leagal side of things, you need to have an uper tier waste caries licence (£150 for 3 years I think),

Provide a waste transfer note to the person you get the waste from and then pay to dispose of the waste at the local tip.

But saying all that, we got away without any of the above for 6-8 months doing waste removals.

As I one off, couple times a month and in a car at the tip you would totally get away without any of the above.

It's all just aimed at stoping the type of people that would just take waste and fly tip it.

As for pricing, don't be afraid to charge a really good amount for it, the only other two options people have are doing it themself (most too lazy) or to hire a skip, around here they start at about £170. Sell the fact that your doing all the loading too, so you can charge more than a skip.

We would often fill a lwb ford transit for £240, it's approx 12cu yards.

All the best with it /emoticons/smile.png

£150 for 3 years is not bad at all considering the prices were gonna charge

rather be doing it legally tbh, odd jobs not a problem especially as were still not quite upto a full round of customers, mentioned in a previous thread that we are at 204 houses since we started trading in October, lots of customers seem to be decorating, spring cleaning and that rubbish is just piling up just feel like we could turn their trash into our cash /emoticons/wink.png

Yes you sure can, we have had about 25 enquires this last week, due to the sun and people wanting to get sorted out for summer.

Best thing to do is email Sita uk for pricing of disposal.

/emoticons/smile.png

Will get on with that asap, have designed some leaflets already for rubbish removals, basically general household items, garden waste and other items that they allow into the tip. only have a car so not going for massive jobs just a few car fulls at most couple of hours work types of jobs really see how it goes and if its gonna get big then looking into buying a van and tap into house moves but priority still being window cleaning round as the sun is coming out people need a window cleaner lol

ages ago someone asked me to cart away a big armchair, i thought i will break this up in no time and cart it away over a few trips. but turns out this thing is metal framed ! my next thought was can i/dare i dump this piece of crup on one of my ex customers front lawn

Not sure how hot your local council are on this sort of thing but i know in this area they can hand out hefty fines. You could easily get away with it taking the cash and going down dump as long as its not too many times that you get noticed. But as soon as you have flyers advertising it you will draw attention to yourself. Check out the fines for unlicensed waste carrying!!!

Not sure how hot your local council are on this sort of thing but i know in this area they can hand out hefty fines. You could easily get away with it taking the cash and going down dump as long as its not too many times that you get noticed. But as soon as you have flyers advertising it you will draw attention to yourself. Check out the fines for unlicensed waste carrying!!!
I'm getting the license, for the cost of it its not worth not having to be honest flyers will go out after that's a certainty, just like I wouldn't have started window cleaning without registering with hmrc. jobs on the side doesn't mean fiddle jobs just odd jobs I can fill in when not window cleaning

Slightly un/related but...

Was asked to paint some rendering. When quoted for it, it became apparent they'd only asked me cos they figured it would be dirt cheap 'since i was up there anyway ' haha.

May not always be the same, but people do chance it. Rather than call a specific tradesman.

I'm getting the license, for the cost of it its not worth not having to be honest flyers will go out after that's a certainty, just like I wouldn't have started window cleaning without registering with hmrc. jobs on the side doesn't mean fiddle jobs just odd jobs I can fill in when not window cleaning
Yeah fair one sorry I misinterpreted some of earlier stuff. Good luck with it let us know how its going

Back