Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How Many....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've counted 22 house martins nests but after booking the work in for end of June I'm going to have to cancel after reading this....

House martins are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take an adult bird, or to take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a house martin whilst it is being built or in use.

The Act allows for fines of up to £5,000 for every bird, egg or nest destroyed, or even custodial sentences. If maintenance work that would affect either a natural or artificial house martin nest needs to be carried out, this should be scheduled for the autumn, winter or early spring when the birds are not in residence. At this time of the year one can remove the nests to carry out the work.

Lady wants to keep the house martin nests damo but wants me to clean the guttering in/out, fascia & soffits, window frames, sills & glass and a minging conservatory on the back....Oh deep joy :Image13:

/emoticons/sad.png I'd just do the job mate they don't really come out when ya working.

Maybe so Damo but using a guttervac, wfp & ladders with the bird nest being there is going to be a real pain in the **** to do the job.

Last thing I want to do is damage any nests and/or frighten the birds away with eggs/young in them as they are protected.

What do the rest of you think? :Image16:

just do it with ladders and charge acordingly due to the risk of harming the birds thats what id do....

I've counted 22 house martins nests but after booking the work in for end of June I'm going to have to cancel after reading this....

House martins are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take an adult bird, or to take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a house martin whilst it is being built or in use.

The Act allows for fines of up to £5,000 for every bird, egg or nest destroyed, or even custodial sentences. If maintenance work that would affect either a natural or artificial house martin nest needs to be carried out, this should be scheduled for the autumn, winter or early spring when the birds are not in residence. At this time of the year one can remove the nests to carry out the work.
I've had them feckers try and attack me, they all gang up and start dive bombing, specially if you're doing ladder work. I'm going to aim a bit of water from my hose when they start next time. That'll teach 'em!

Maybe so Damo but using a guttervac, wfp & ladders with the bird nest being there is going to be a real pain in the **** to do the job.
Last thing I want to do is damage any nests and/or frighten the birds away with eggs/young in them as they are protected.

What do the rest of you think? :Image16:
If that worried. Don't do it.

The birds film stprings to mind :Image13:

I've had them feckers try and attack me, they all gang up and start dive bombing, specially if you're doing ladder work. I'm going to aim a bit of water from my hose when they start next time. That'll teach 'em!

Will have another chat with the customer and if she still wants the work doing before September will get her to sign a bird wavier methinks :Image16:

If that worried. Don't do it.

Latest Posts

Back