Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

old person old ways

slipknot

i work with a partner who is almost 70 years old, i do all the tops ect, anyway a women asked us to do her house that we used to do and 3 years ago it was done for £6. so my partner said to me "£10 first and £8 therefor after" so i said ill go round and have a chat, anyway this women had a nice new BMW, and she told me she was renting the place for 6 months and the windows had not been done for 3 years. so i said here is what ill do for you call it £12 first time and £10 afterwards".

and she turns around and i thought she was going to blow a gasket but she said "oh thats a lot cheaper than i expected" im sorry but am i being to nice with the price ? there are about 10 windows on the whole house, no conservatory

If that's what you're happy earning then that is the correct price

That works out to £1 per window which is how a lot seem to price up work

If you are happy with the price you get then that is what matters.

In my opinion £1 a window is a dated method people were pricing like this 10-15 years ago and we all know how much things have gone up since then.

It also depends what part of the country your in.

I do think you should charge more for a first clean a house that hasn't been cleaned for 3 years will take a lot longer add a least 50% of the regular price if not more this higher first clean price will also cover you if they only want a one off which this sounds like it was.

You just never know how people are going to react to price. It can be hard to get it right especially when you have identical houses in the same street and both people have different views on price.

I do 4 terraced in the same street for 8 quid. Some have laughed at me in that street wanting to pay a fiver and other day I picked up one and she thought I was cheap at 8 quid. It's always frustrating when they say oh that's cheap and you realise you could have got more.

Sometimes what I do is add a couple of quid in to what I want then judge their reaction if there's a sense of hesitation from them I'll sat well actually I do your neighbours and looking again yours is similar so I could do it 2 quod cheaper. This seems to work. Not so easy when quoting blind like fb as they just won't reply if you're too pricey

I never count windows just judge how long it's gonna take and take into consideration how close it is to other work.

The first clean has to be double and even then my hourly rate would suffer on that first clean. I have a good chat with any new customers regarding wether the job is a one off or are they committing to a regular clean, a lot of 'one off' merchants will keep their mouths shut if they're not asked the question directly. My new policy for the one off is X3, seems about right.

If you are happy with the price you get then that is what matters.
In my opinion £1 a window is a dated method people were pricing like this 10-15 years ago and we all know how much things have gone up since then.

It also depends what part of the country your in.

I do think you should charge more for a first clean a house that hasn't been cleaned for 3 years will take a lot longer add a least 50% of the regular price if not more this higher first clean price will also cover you if they only want a one off which this sounds like it was.
Totally agree, I had a yoo hoo, how much to clean my windows from one of our barterer friends today. I asked when they were last cleaned. Oh about 6 months ago she says. Bull:turd: were they cleaned 6 months ago as she asked me for a quote about 2 years ago and they ain't been cleaned since. Then she says that her last windy stopped coming, he went on holiday and never came back to her. He was charging £12 she said. That's why he hasn't been back I said. My price will be £20 4 weekly with a first clean price of £35. I'll let you know she said. I couldn't give a :turd: TBH.

Back