how many customers should i be aiming for

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Gav, Jan 2, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Just wondering what you would say is a good number to have to comfortably live on. Obviously this is very rough as different custys have different prices. How many do you have can you live comfortably? I need to earn after expenses etc around 1,700

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

I reckon 2-300 customers is a good number to aim for,if they average £10 obviously some would be more and some less,15 houses x 4 days x 5 weeks.I find 4 weeks too soon to repeat and you get the odd "is it that time again" February becomes a problem with only 4 weeks but some days you could 20+

3. Windowwhiz

Windowwhiz Guest

We don't work it out on customers we just try to do £2400 per van per month

4. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

2-300 is a good suggestion; 300 is the top end of customers, unless you have a compact round. Personally I would aim for 150 or less.

If you need £1,700 Gav plus business expenses - £400? That gives a minimum of £2,100 per month.

Add the amount you want onto this, for example £900, for convenience that gives a nice round figure of £3,000 and a turnover of £36,000

If you go for 300 customers each month, average price has to be £10, now look at the hours you window clean for each month if its 100 hours you need to have a round that enables you to clean 3 customers per hour.

Set your own figures it is your business

Richard

5. James

James Guru

I'm aiming for 350-400 customers, will fill me up nicely all through the week (as at the moment I'm working 7 days a week and really enjoying it).

400 customers at £20 a clean is a tidy £8k a month. I also like the sound of £96k turnover a year. Maybe it's just me :)

James.

6. laddergarder

I think you said on your previous post somewhere that your prices were between £5 and £15, so with an average of £7.50, and I think a reasonable expectation would be around £2000 a month, then you would be looking at around 270 customers, assuming they are all 4 weekly.

However based on that your expenditure would have to be small, based on what you are hoping to earn. Why do you need to achieve £1700, is there a personal reason, or do you just think that is what is achievable.

7. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

James, you’re not the only one I have many Tecbuk customers who keep asking me whether they should work less and not go VAT registered.

8. laddergarder

Lord Sugar want you to give him a call, if you've got the time :)

Based on working 8 hours a day 7 days a week, you would have to charge about £20 for a 20 min job, people would be calling rougue traders if I tried to charge that up here :)

9. James

James Guru

Haha Lord Sugar... yeah right ;)

It's getting the customers and keeping them that's the hardest part.

But if you could do 3 houses an hour at £20 each, based on working 8 hours a day you would make £480 a day. That is ridiculous money.

James.

10. laddergarder

If only, I know allot areas across the country are different, but that just would not be possible here. There is setup time, travel time, down time, if you van is off the road, etc, etc. I think if you can average £240 a day you are doing very well.

Plus up hear over winter, is sunrise about 9am and sun down about 4pm. As much as I have worked on in the past in the twilight hours, and try not to if I can avoid it.

Advertisement