Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ppads52

1.jpg

ive mucked this post up completely.

i was wondering if anyone has used a TICKNERS TRAILER for window cleaning, im intending carrying a 500 ltr baffled tank in it with poles etc, are these trailers sturdy enough? how would i secure the tank inside also? im open to ideas 

No. Its not sturdy enough.

The ECO Value Box Trailer only has an MGW of 500kgs. That including all the materials the trailer is made from. The specs say payloads from 360kgs.

A 500 liter tank full with frame will probably be close to 600kgs. Then there is the rest of your equipment. Your equipment will probably settle in at around 700 to 800kgs for the basics.

The GP Single Axle Box trailer is MGW of 750kgs.  Payloads from 490kgs. See above.

IMHO if you are going for a 500 liter tank you need a single axle braked box trailer. Twin axle would be more stable when towing. You need to look for a box trailer with a roller shutter rear door. A single opening door may work but it needs to fold back through 270 degrees and lock in that position. Forget a ramp rear door. You need a suitable tow vehicle and you need to consider your round.

If your area covers hilly streets and cul de sacs consider that reversing a small trailer is a challenge. You never want to be unhitching a heavy trailer on a hill to turn it around.

One of the local lads uses a trolley and has an open trailer with about 10 to 12 x 25litre plastic containers. He tows it with his Ford Mondeo hatch TDCI.

Here's any example of what I mean,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-box-trailer-8ft-2-5m-x1-5m-x-1-5m-1350kg-braked-with-shock-absorbers-/401349262056?hash=item5d7247bae8:g:2tUAAOSw9N1V0KX9

It has 2 rear barn doors which hopefully will lock back against the mudguards.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No. Its not sturdy enough.

The ECO Value Box Trailer only has an MGW of 500kgs. That including all the materials the trailer is made from. The specs say payloads from 360kgs.
A 500 liter tank full with frame will probably be close to 600kgs. Then there is the rest of your equipment. Your equipment will probably settle in at around 700 to 800kgs for the basics.

The GP Single Axle Box trailer is MGW of 750kgs.  Payloads from 490kgs. See above.

IMHO if you are going for a 500 liter tank you need a single axle braked box trailer. Twin axle would be more stable when towing. You need to look for a box trailer with a roller shutter rear door. A single opening door may work but it needs to fold back through 270 degrees and lock in that position. Forget a ramp rear door. You need a suitable tow vehicle and you need to consider your round.

If your area covers hilly streets and cul de sacs consider that reversing a small trailer is a challenge. You never want to be unhitching a heavy trailer on a hill to turn it around.

One of the local lads uses a trolley and has an open trailer with about 10 to 12 x 25litre plastic containers. He tows it with his Ford Mondeo hatch TDCI.

Here's any example of what I mean,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-box-trailer-8ft-2-5m-x1-5m-x-1-5m-1350kg-braked-with-shock-absorbers-/401349262056?hash=item5d7247bae8:g:2tUAAOSw9N1V0KX9

It has 2 rear barn doors which hopefully will lock back against the mudguards.

Thank you so much for your detailed information, it is very helpful, Thank you so much Spruce

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I once considered a trailer and thought better of it over 7 years ago, Parking can become a real issue consider the length of a trailer and a car and you will need to almost park outside 2 houses at once plus getting turned around is another issue. 

Depending on your personal situation have you not considered getting a double cab pick-up, Payload on most is over 1000kg and very easy to set up a diy system in the loadbed and have a 5 seats as a family vehicle if that's what is needed.

also remember that license laws regarding trailer are complex if you don't have +e on your license. Last time I checked it was trailer mgw of 750kg OR a combined mgw of 3500kg including vehicle (a van with a mgw of 2000 can pull a 1500kg trailer) without +e. Then you have too look at the maximum towing weight of the vehicle too. Too much hassle imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure trailer towing restrictions are only regarding commercial vehicles.

Anyone can tow a trailer or caravan with a car. I have a pickup and past my driving test in 2001 so would have to pass a trailer test before being able to tow anything.

Pretty sure trailer towing restrictions are only regarding commercial vehicles.

Anyone can tow a trailer or caravan with a car. I have a pickup and past my driving test in 2001 so would have to pass a trailer test before being able to tow anything.

any car/van is restricted. You can tow a caravan as long as the total combined mgw is 3500kg or less. As a car usually weighs no more then 2000kg it gives you a limit of at least 1500kg for a caravan. As a van usually sits at 3500kg mgw you limited to 750kg. It's a right mare to work out. I believe pickups are considerably heavier then cars, hence needing the +e to tow one.

Back