Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tds Is 100.....

Hi All,

My water coming out the tap is at 100 on the TDS I've got a 25L DI and using it to fill up my Trolly system at the minute!!

Am about to buy a Van system but am not sure if I should get a RO??

Is it going to cost me lots more money without one??

Obversely it depends on how much water I use!! I don't like the sound of using an RO and throwing lots of water down the drain every night. I have seen I video on you tube of people using two DI vessels?

100 ppm is very good, mine is 250 ppm in my area hence we use a RO. Although 100ppm is good it is still quite high and your resin will degrade very quickly, You will spend roughly 60 to 80 pound a month on resin although that is depending how much water a day you are using. You will be better running two DI vessels if you go that route as you can switch between the two, so when one vessels degrades that one vessel becomes your first vessel so you can always cut down on ppm going into the second vessel. Then when second vessel degrades you use that one as your first vessel. This will help you cut down on half your resin costs, only ever change the resin in one vessel at a time!

But from personal experience i would NEVER use just DI vessels, The ppm will jump up VERY quickly if you dont check it daily!

I would never trust using just DI resin on customers windows alone.

My system runs at 240 litres an hour an i supply for 4 people, i use only 12-13 litres of resin every 7-8 weeks using my trick mentioned above and thats for 4 people! An RO is very cost effective and will save you a fortune long term!

Need to know your water usage really.

But RO all the way for me, as if for some reason DI's went wrong or broke, at least you can make usable water with RO. You can always use some of the waste water as well /emoticons/smile.png

starting out am not going to be using much water to be honest but am sure it will build up.

so sounds like an RO is going to be the best option even if it will cost me more money to start with.

ive got room for a RO unit and a large tank in my garage so might go down that route.....

If you dont get an RO you will regret it trust me! Dont go for a cheap low flow rate either the better and faster one you can afford the better it will be for you in the long run. End of the day it all depends how you want to run your business, how much water you will be using etc or wether you end up supplying water for anyone else.

Thanks for that Damo.....

When I start getting more work it's going to cost me a lot of money in resin....

Looks like a will get an RO system!! Maybe one that is built into the van, I will plug into the main water every night and let it fill up!! My Pressure at home isn't amazing......Hopefully I don't need a RO pump too

My water is 270ppm and I use just twin di. I have to change the resin every 6weeks. I use around 100-200ltrs a day. I have storage problems (live in a flat) and I'm on a water metre so for di works great for me.

If I was in your situation though I'd get an ro because you have the space even though the initial outlay if a lot more.

it lasts me for a good while to be honest /emoticons/smile.png

I spend like 80 quid every 5/6 weeks

I earn about £1400 before having to buy a new one /emoticons/smile.png

and i use loads of water /emoticons/smile.png

my average job price is 7 pound mate and my prices are very low for wfp cos im up north u see /emoticons/smile.png a 4 bedroomed big house id do for like 8 quidish

so i use loads of water i use like 350 a day and i work 10 days out of 28 days /emoticons/smile.png

Am going for the RO system ive been speaking to a local windy and that's what he uses /emoticons/smile.png it will save me money and hassle in the long run!!

I can use my DI vessel for emergencys or to quickly top up on my lunch!!

At first think how much water you are going to use a week then it should make it easy to decide using twin di with a 100ppm you will get 11,000 lts of water

I use twin 21 inch ro's plus sediment filter and carbon block plus 2 DI's. My TDS IS 468 which I believe is pretty much on the legal limit. We glow at night in the south east!

Yeah, it's a nightmare, I have a water softner vessel (10 litre) which is connected to the tap and that has lime scale all over it where our water is so hard.

I flush my RO every night for 10 minutes just to give it a chance and my TDS after softner, two filters and two RO units is 26 so I still use 5 litres of resin every 2 weeks.

Vyair do some good ro's for not much money and i see wintecs are doing some deals at the moment.

I have 400 gpd twin pumped ro from vyair and does 25 litres in half a hour,Paid £240 including vat and delivery!

get yourself a 1000 litre ibc tank,about £50 on ebay and just keep filling it!

Transfer hose and sub pump straight into your tank jobs a good un!

Back