How things have moved on

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by rugbywolf, Jan 2, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

I was parked up in a cul-de-sac the other day waiting for someone and looking round at the houses. I noticed that of the twenty three house all had Upvc windows. Different to when I started when it was all wood and putty!! This is why dog-earing, Wagtails and liquidators are so necessary today, to get that edge, and why, in the "olden days" an ordinary squeegee would be fine. Don't get me wrong... I'd rather have the Upvc!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Advertisement
  2. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Quite envy your upvc frames, over here its almost all wood, with som being aluminum and a rare upvc, i think thats also why you are able to get a rubber going for weeks, it doesent wear out as quick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Posh

Posh Hero

Funny that coz I prefer wood to upvc
    Find I don't have to detail at all on them where a few upvc I still have to.
    Strange that

4. David K

David K Forum Addict

Im wfp almost all kinds , in DK and Like Jacob Said we have a lot of wooden frames . But i envy your UK plastic windows ! :thumbs:

5. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

I don't detail at all, but I still have some wooden ones now, and I keep a traditional squeegee for them.

6. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Of course, today in modern wooden windows you get double glazed sealed units installed which will have a rubber seal, so not quite the same as it was.

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Bugger me, gonna que violins and get out the Kleenex for you lot! :gush:

8. TolishAPurd

I often find its the quality of the glass that makes for a better clean than the frames themselves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

Agree that the glass can make a big difference. Also some UPVC units seem to have a great edge profile for cleaning and never need detailing and some are awful, always need detailing and the worse ones snag the rubber especially if you try to dive bomb, almost have to run the squeegee at 90 degree to the frame to prevent the snag, total pia on narrow openers.

10. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

the old plate glass was very nce to trad dont c it mch now tho

Advertisement