How To Save Fuel.

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by Gmeister, Jan 30, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Hi there,

I thought it would be a good idea to post this, as fuel prices are going up, more of our hard earned cash is going out of our pockets!

It is not very comprehensive, alot of it is commen sencse, but do we all do them?

Here is a list if things we should get into a habit, of which I do EVERY time I go to fill up!

• Fill your tyres with air to the right PSI, How often do you check this!? (you can get your tyres filled with nitrogen, not sure if worth the £4 though)
    • Check your oil level by checking your dipstick, again how often do you do this? If it is on MIN then it takes a litre of oil to reach max mark
    • I always check other levels like screen wash and coolant/antifreeze etc etc
    Other things we can do to save fuel.
    • Drive at the correct speed will help (ahem :p ) and think of the rev as ££(pound) signs
    • Slow down along time before a red light, that way you have some momentum, when it changes to green rather then brake lats minute.
    • Turn that air con off! this uses alot of fuel! and so does having heating on full wack, puts stress on your engine
    • Keep your windows up, and if your going to use air con, use it sparengly
    • Empty your boot, if your car is full of stuff like its your office, full of stuff your carrying around you no longer need there then take out of your car!
    • We are all window cleaners so we need a roof rack, but if your planning a long journey, take that roof rack off!
    Having your car serviced regulary helps too!

For me personally I service my car myself and use a decant oil not skimping on the £10 cheap oil, and every nown again use the more expensive fuel to keep my engine at its best.

Also use the correct oil grade if your doing the oil change yourself

Advertisement
  2. A.K WINDOWS

i just coast it everywere and keep me windows up works wonders :lol:

3. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

any think that saves a few quid is worth a rep point

4. Newbie123

Newbie123 Forum Addict

That's what's happening with service engineers round the country all fleet now up 20mpg takes ages to get to jobs but its big savings on fleets

5. harunh

harunh Legend

Good post i always have my heating on full wack lol

6. JDMW

JDMW Guru

on hills i just roll and on straights, ill pick up speed then roll till i get down to 50mph and do the same again, thats keepin the revs down lol if you run a diesel put cooking oil in, my uncle does this, he goes to the local chippy and they give him used oil which he strains and filters out. makes u feel hungry tho stood behind him

7. harunh

harunh Legend

Jdmw its messy as that but cheap mark on here done it

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

Cheap as chips the oil from the chippy. Great advise. The slowing down and not braking suddenly at lights is a real fuel saver and getting the car oil changed.

9. OoO

OoO Guest

When approaching zebra crossings, close eyes and beep horn. That way you don't have to stop, and you can save a bit more fuel*

*Please don't actually try this!

10. monika527

monika527 Guest

There are so many way to save fuel for example use the air-con sparingly,don't let your engine idle,minimise airodynamice drag etc

Advertisement