Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HSE confiscating ladders?

vito61

Hi All

Heard a rumor that some HSE guy in the Bristol area was visiting window cleaners at work and informing them that there was a safer alternative to the ladders they were using. They listened and (obviously) carried on with what they were doing. He called back couple of hours later when found them still using ladders proceeded to confiscate there equipment.

This is account I've heard 3rd hand or so. Anybody able to confirm (or deny)?

cool i got trade ladders.anyone tried taking my ladders better be hard lol.

them harneses are a waste of time why cant they see that.

You can use domestic ladders for window cleaning as long as you adhere to the weight ratings for the ladder, most domestics are 95kg which is about 15 stone.

This is an old subject that I have seen time and time again, most of the WFP guys will tell you ladders are banned. But that is just not true. Thousands and thousands of windows cleaners use ladders every day, including window cleaners with WFP's, because WFP's are not suitable for every job, the same way ladders aren't.

The health and safety legislation is not clear. But this is not just a window cleaning issue, paint and decorators, gutter cleaners, glaziers, joiners, roofers, and many more trades use ladders day in and day out. There is no way the government will ever out law ladders, and there is no reason they should, when used properly they are not a risk to health and safety.

If the ladders look dangerous or in bad condition they can reccomend you get them destroyed,they tried to ban ladder use but realized this would impact some many trades so have come up with a compromise all the information is on the hse website,my view is it is only window cleaning and don't fancy falling off ladders but then I trip myself up a few times on my hose and landed on the floor but falling from 15 feet above the ground isn't my idea of finish the week :) if you can do the safely without the use of ladders then that has got to be the way to go

If ladders are in bad condition HSE inspectors do seem to have the power to confiscate them....

Regarding banning ladders you might find this vid informative

#!

If the ladders look dangerous or in bad condition they can reccomend you get them destroyed,they tried to ban ladder use but realized this would impact some many trades so have come up with a compromise all the information is on the hse website,my view is it is only window cleaning and don't fancy falling off ladders but then I trip myself up a few times on my hose and landed on the floor but falling from 15 feet above the ground isn't my idea of finish the week :) if you can do the safely without the use of ladders then that has got to be the way to go
even if only one rung has a dent on it, they can be classed as damaged and no good!

Just dont step on that one then...Simples /emoticons/biggrin.png
lol its not just that, that one dent in the rung could weaken the whole ladder! if it is the first one thats all the strength gone out of the ladder and could cause it to buckle and fall!

hse do not have the power to confiscate anything, fact!

ladders are not banned, fact,

im bored of stupid threads on the same topics, fact!

Latest Posts

Back