HSE confiscating ladders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by vito61, Nov 7, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

Hi All

Heard a rumor that some HSE guy in the Bristol area was visiting window cleaners at work and informing them that there was a safer alternative to the ladders they were using. They listened and (obviously) carried on with what they were doing. He called back couple of hours later when found them still using ladders proceeded to confiscate there equipment.

This is account I've heard 3rd hand or so. Anybody able to confirm (or deny)?

Advertisement
  2. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

If it was a Class III ladder then yeah, they have every right to do that

3. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

well lets hope it was this guy ha ha!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mLXJAf09w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4. A.K WINDOWS

that video is ace haha.

whats a class 3 ladder?

5. No matter what ladder you are using thay have no right to nor can they legally confiscate your ladder especially in England and Wales as there is no liceinsing requirements for being a window cleaner nor for what equipment you use. In Scotland we need to be licenced but they can't confiscate your ladder worst case scenario, your public liability insurance will not be valid so make sure you use a proper approved trade ladder but no one can confiscate your equipment that is theft.

6. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

It's to do with the label on the side..........don't use one with a yellow sticker coz that is for domestic use only

7. A.K WINDOWS

cool i got trade ladders.anyone tried taking my ladders better be hard lol.

them harneses are a waste of time why cant they see that.

8. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

Haven't used a ladder for months personally. Had more than my share of near misses where peoples gardens are covered in Swear word!. WFP is the way forward (although not good if you have had a whiplash injury)

9. laddergarder

You can use domestic ladders for window cleaning as long as you adhere to the weight ratings for the ladder, most domestics are 95kg which is about 15 stone.

This is an old subject that I have seen time and time again, most of the WFP guys will tell you ladders are banned. But that is just not true. Thousands and thousands of windows cleaners use ladders every day, including window cleaners with WFP's, because WFP's are not suitable for every job, the same way ladders aren't.

The health and safety legislation is not clear. But this is not just a window cleaning issue, paint and decorators, gutter cleaners, glaziers, joiners, roofers, and many more trades use ladders day in and day out. There is no way the government will ever out law ladders, and there is no reason they should, when used properly they are not a risk to health and safety.

10. A.K WINDOWS

domestic ladders are a no go for me im 16st 7lbs lol

Advertisement