Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on paving

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would give it a quick run over with a flat surface cleaner to get at least some of the **** off so there is less to fly everywhere. Then turbo nozzle all the joints.

I would give it a quick run over with a flat surface cleaner to get at least some of the **** off so there is less to fly everywhere. Then turbo nozzle all the joints.
And then when it's all blasted out ?

Wait for it to dry and re-sand using Kiln Dried Sand if that's what it was before.

If it is something else then find someone who knows what they are doing to fix it up. The number of builders I have seen that said re-pointing was easy to only have the pointing fall apart after less than a year later is crazy. There is a lot more to it than you would think.

If he doesn’t want you to use a pressure washer then another option is to use is a hypo chemical wash method.

1. Brush all the loose **** off it first.

2. Wet it down with a garden hose and give any run off areas like grass, plant/shrub boarders etc a good wetting too

3. Apply hypo at 7% mix. I tend to use a rectangular bucket and use a chepo car/truck brush on a harris pole to slap it on.

4. Let dwell for about 30-40 min best not to let the surface dry out

5. Scrub it if need be with a stiff brush

7. Hose it off.

6. Repeat process if need be.

The hypo will kill off the moss, weeds etc and will not disturb the mortar joints/sand too much unlike blasting it with a pressure washer.

When using hypo wear ppe and keep the area free from pets, children and other foot traffic until the area is dry as is lethal stuff to use.

For a better result you may still need to go over it with a pressure washer that's if you are allowed.

Or if he don't want you to use chems you could use/hire a doff type superheated water system instead. Which uses variable low pressure and steam upto 150 c which will not damage the subsrate and will kill off weeds, algae, lichen and moss.

[media]

[/media]

Or if he don't want you to use chems you could use/hire a doff type superheated water system instead. Which uses variable low pressure and steam upto 150 c which will not damage the subsrate and will kill off weeds, algae, lichen and moss.
[media]

Smurf - you da man - got gutters and windows and connie roofs on two big detached in private courtyard

If we can sort drives out too will look mint - all a smurf inspired job !

If he doesn’t want you to use a pressure washer then another option is to use is a hypo chemical wash method.
1. Brush all the loose **** off it first.

2. Wet it down with a garden hose and give any run off areas like grass, plant/shrub boarders etc a good wetting too

3. Apply hypo at 7% mix. I tend to use a rectangular bucket and use a chepo car/truck brush on a harris pole to slap it on.

4. Let dwell for about 30-40 min best not to let the surface dry out

5. Scrub it if need be with a stiff brush

7. Hose it off.

6. Repeat process if need be.

The hypo will kill off the moss, weeds etc and will not disturb the mortar joints/sand too much unlike blasting it with a pressure washer.

When using hypo wear ppe and keep the area free from pets, children and other foot traffic until the area is dry as is lethal stuff to use.

For a better result you may still need to go over it with a pressure washer that's if you are allowed.
Wot happens if it dries smurf I'm on the last patio of the house clean I posted about and I can't shift the black algae and dirt from the crazy paving even on full pressure so I'm going to use hypo in morning can you use neat as this is really hard not shift thanks

7% is normally fine I have been spraying it on with a cheap sprayer ( which has lasted nearly a month of using hypo a couple of times a week.) go at it with 7% leave it for 20 mins or so if you are concerned about the surface drying out then pressure wash off.

From my limited experience with it drying out ( I just let it dry out in a corner one day to see what would happen) on some brick paving not much happened. maybe a very slight difference where it dried vs not.

7% is normally fine I have been spraying it on with a cheap sprayer ( which has lasted nearly a month of using hypo a couple of times a week.) go at it with 7% leave it for 20 mins or so if you are concerned about the surface drying out then pressure wash off.
From my limited experience with it drying out ( I just let it dry out in a corner one day to see what would happen) on some brick paving not much happened. maybe a very slight difference where it dried vs not.
I've just finished putting hypo on some yellow crazy paving it got them clean but didn't touch the black algae and I done it twice

Have you got a pic of it? It has always worked for me.

I have loads of photos of places I have used hypo and it has worked great.

Just checking you do have Sodium Hypochlorite and not Calcium Hypochlorite? both are used for water treatment/ pools etc.

Only thing I would say is trying upping the strength by diluting it less.

Have you got a pic of it? It has always worked for me.
I have loads of photos of places I have used hypo and it has worked great.

Just checking you do have Sodium Hypochlorite and not Calcium Hypochlorite? both are used for water treatment/ pools etc.

Only thing I would say is trying upping the strength by diluting it less.
It was sod hypochlorite but I never took pics

Must have been very bad then as good fresh hypo 14-15% mixed 1:1 is very strong stuff. May help to pressure wash the surface afterwards then to finish off.

Must have been very bad then as good fresh hypo 14-15% mixed 1:1 is very strong stuff. May help to pressure wash the surface afterwards then to finish off.
Customer was happy with it but I wasn't will pressure wash after next time thanks for reply

Latest Posts

Back