I keep leaving lines on the ends of my rubbers?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by slippy, Feb 1, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

no lines in the middle of my squeegee's rubbers but two on either end if it, this means there aren't any niks or whatever, but what's wrong with the ends of the rubber?

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

You've caught them on a rough edge and got nicks. Get some scissors and slice a bit off the offending end.

3. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Usually get that when they are wearing out. Do you buy cut lengths, or the 36 inch ones and cut them down? how often do you change them?

4. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

I buy a long reel.

So it's ok to cut the ends with scissor ? (I heard 2mm from the end!) I was told cut with a stanley knife by a guy in the store, scissors would be easier. So basically you think I a nic right at the end where the rubber sticks out? I should just trim that off with scissors?

5. RiceRocket

RiceRocket Well-Known Member

Best way is to use a scraper (kept only for this) & the rubber placed on a soft wood base.

6. norm

norm Grand Master

do you mean out past the edge of the rubber or where the rubber has squeegeed?

7. Posh

Posh Hero

I find mine wear out on the edges. Always cut mine with scissors. Soon as I see the lines ill turn em round(after about 2 weeks) then when worn that side I cut them down for my 6 inch squeegee. Never get lines in the middle. Be careful when walking past walls & things as one scrape can cause this. Also have you dog eared??? This may help them last a bit longer as you get extra pressure.

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

What type of squeegee are you using, I know my mate had this problem with ettore quick release squeegee. It was clamping down tight and loosed it off a bit.

9. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Are you doing vertical or horizontal pulls?. If so, do you wipe your blade after each pull. If not then you may be pulling down lines of water from the edge of your rubber. I always cut my rubber with a extra sharp blade. Havent used scissors so cant comment. A nice clean cut is essential.

10. Posh

Posh Hero

If you do pull down try to tilt the squeegee slightly.

Advertisement