I met an old guy today...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by laddergarder, Oct 12, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. laddergarder

.. while working on a customers house. He was well into his 60's, well dressed, slim, and had plenty of buzz about him. He drove a nice estate car, and had his mobile holstered on to his trousers belt. Getting ready to go with a hefty lawn mower and blower.

I wasn't sure if he was a family member, or worker, so asked if this was what he does. He said yes, I come round and cut the grass and do the odd bit of other gardening jobs. So I asked how long he had been doing it for. Well, he said. Ohh I have been cutting the grass at this house for about 40 years.

I was job smacked by this guy. He was the fittest old guy I have ever seen. I don't know how long I could keep window cleaning for. It has never really been something I seen myself doing into my 50's and onwards. But who knows.

What do you all think you will do later in life. Can you see yourself continuing to do this?

If you are 50+ and still at going, whats your story, and how are your keeping up with the job?

Advertisement
  2. Max

Max Member

I started cleaning windows in Feb this year at the age of 51. Before that I had spent 22 years sat behind a desk moving a pen around.
    I felt young until I read the above post.

3. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

I am always walking over to craftsmen and introduce myself when I see some around when I am working or canvasing - quick chat, we exchange cards or numbers and good luck!

I thing craftsman are the happiest people of them all. Always happy! Probably just here in Dublin. Probably it is something to do with Guinness..

Oh I will continue. Just started and some 13 years to go to get to 50+

4. Cghwindowcleaning

Cghwindowcleaning Well-Known Member

I know two window cleaners in my area that are still working in their 70's.
    One of them is still up ladders daily.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I will be doing this the rest of my life until i retire which i don't think i will ever do fully as I will still have a business to keep an eye on
    This and pressure washing/softwash
    Easy job and will keep you fit in your later years
    I will eventually slow down when i have built my empire but will still keep my hand in
    25 years so far and am 41 now so probably another 25 years on the glass

6. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

I'm 50 and still banging out the work. I've cut out Saturdays now (unless its a quick pressure washing job) and sold off all my trad work to make life easier.
    Told myself I'd go 4 days a week once the mortgage has finished. The mortgage has finished but I'm still 5 days a week, simply because I like my social life, I like my holidays, but frankly, I like my job :)

7. Damo

Damo Guru

My dad is 66 and works full time.

WFP and uses trolley system.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Damo your old man is a lot fitter than me lol

9. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

well i,m 53 now and still knocking out the graft,hope to be off the poles 4yrs then just manage the business

10. Neilmnwc

Neilmnwc Member

I hope I can keep going into my 60's. Maybe taper it off a bit as the years go on, I'm only 41 now & coming up to three years doing wfp with a bit of trad love the work.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Advertisement