Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you used google satellite map?

I do, very handy when you get an email and address is supplied. Just updated the Apple software to look at a house and it blanks it all out as you zoom in :mad:

I got a few jobs just checking out Google earth.I also had to turn down a few more when they wanted the inside roof cleaned which I always stay clear of.

Yeah I use it when I get an enquiry tp check where it is, what it looks like and get an idea before I go and quote.

You should get Google earth app on your phone. /emoticons/smile.png
Ah, this is where I fall short. You see, I'm old fashioned when it comes to phones, I can't stand touch screen phones, I need hard keys!! I had to ship my phone from China as it's not available new in this country anymore. I use a specific one, a Sony C905 slider. Still has GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI & 8.1MP camera with carl zeiss lense & xenon flash./emoticons/wink.png Maybe I'll catch up one day!!/emoticons/biggrin.png

Those images are quite old on google maps etc so a lot can change by then.

As for an example I looked at one house and was nothing like the house in real life as it had been extended considerably. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Still is a useful rough guide though but would need to ask a lot of question on the phone if you did not want to go and see it.

Good topic, I am just wanting to print som maps of areas I am to flyer and wondered if anyone knows of a god way to print locla maps with street names, as I am printing and its not capturing a big area and I do not want to print off loads and loads of pages for one town.

Great idea though to chekc for conservatory work, will be on this.

Good topic, I am just wanting to print som maps of areas I am to flyer and wondered if anyone knows of a god way to print locla maps with street names, as I am printing and its not capturing a big area and I do not want to print off loads and loads of pages for one town.
Great idea though to chekc for conservatory work, will be on this.
I don't know if it just me but I find flyers a waste of time.

If I was you I would look at the area you mostly work in on Google earth, find many conservatory you can see and write down the address and houses no.

Get door knocking. /emoticons/smile.png

Flyers are indeed a waste of time! I check google earth and street view , just to give me a rough idea of what I'll be quoting on.

I find people don't bothers with flyers, anybody can make fancy flyers these days but the things is they don't know who you are. You could some be pikey chav for all they know, you just need to look like a window cleaner when you knock on doors and be friendly as possible.

My tips are when go door knocking is take your wfp trolley with you or backpack on trolley and be like you are ready to clean their windows.

Once you are finish and confident you done a good job just say " would you like your windows cleans every six weeks" more often than not they will say yes.

Yes I agree, but flyers do work as well, followed up with a door knock. I am flyering my whole town and then start from where i started and then door knock. I agree door knocking is very good and will do that, With the conservatorys, yes, identify them and then door knock them, good idea. I will be on this.... I had two guys knock our house other day and "want your trees cut down, can do it now, but they seemed liked pikeys and really had a bad attitude, its all in the selling of yourself as you say.

Once your up and running with a full round i suppose you wil not have time to door knock and take on loads of conservatory work, unless doign on saturdays or sundays...

Whwn you guys door knock do you get alot of abuse? or lots of people ****** off as your knocking their door. This is my wrry as I am about to start my business, not so bothered about door knocking, just the reactions, still can not let it get you down, you just have to keep going.

Got all my work from flyers, facebook, website and word of mouth so far.

Though I do need to knock doors, just know I hate it when people knock on my own so puts me off.

Yeah, same here, lol, but we did take our windw claner on when he knocked, that kind of door knock i would not mind, its the religion stuff I dont like or charity ones, I pay enough charity anyway.

But yes, I think flyering is key, the details are there to hand and what you offer, if it is professional too it helps, facebook business page vital, web sites are ok, but whom would look at a web site of a window cleaner? 99% of people would not bother looking at one, it hold no inerest other than a number too call, facebook does this and more as you can hit target people. Door knocking I will do, but not looking forward to the abuse. What do you guys on here experience? is it ok or hell to do?

I only knock a door when new people have moved into a house that I already clean. Might knock on a new estate that's being built, got the first 2 houses, but it seems like other windys are muscling in on my patch already /emoticons/biggrin.png

Yes I agree, but flyers do work as well, followed up with a door knock. I am flyering my whole town and then start from where i started and then door knock. I agree door knocking is very good and will do that, With the conservatorys, yes, identify them and then door knock them, good idea. I will be on this.... I had two guys knock our house other day and "want your trees cut down, can do it now, but they seemed liked pikeys and really had a bad attitude, its all in the selling of yourself as you say.
Once your up and running with a full round i suppose you wil not have time to door knock and take on loads of conservatory work, unless doign on saturdays or sundays...

Whwn you guys door knock do you get alot of abuse? or lots of people ****** off as your knocking their door. This is my wrry as I am about to start my business, not so bothered about door knocking, just the reactions, still can not let it get you down, you just have to keep going.
I dont get any abuses, the worst I get is a few Sharp no but most are friendly and will say thanks but no thanks.

When they close their door that a different matter, they probs call me a fecking w####r behind my back but they wont be brave enough to say it to your face. I wouldn't be brave enough to give out abuses. I would worry they will come back and vandalised my property lol!

You will find once you get work knocking on doors it a confidence boosters to get more work.

Back