I need to drill holes in your wall mrs

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by Smurf, Jul 1, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I went to have a look at a gutter clearing job on a wide 2 storey terraced house.

Front as usual is full of sods but doable by ladder. Back entrance is via an overgrow path with a lot of overhanging tree so would be a pain to get the ladders around the back. That's not the worst of it though as the gutters are full of sods above the conservatory and lean-to which covers almost the full length of the wall. To try using a guttervac would be useless due to the gap between the tiles due to the amount of sods as has never been cleared. I would not be able to access the gutter from either side next door either as one has a pitched roof extension right across the back and the other a large shed in the way with a large canopy that is fixed on the house wall.

The only option would be to put a ladder up in a narrow gap between the end of the conservatory and fence. It's just about wide enough to fit a normal ladder in. Now my dilemma is my gutter clearing ladder setup I have has a stabiliser bar on the bottom of the ladder so it won't fit in the gap. Instead I will have to use a standard ladder without an ankalad but still use a microlite standoff on the roof tiles for easy access. I don't have a foot the ladder or want anyone footing the ladder when trying to work poling aprox 7m of gutter at that height. As cheapncheerful would say wiggling me stick about but I do have this but means drilling 2 holes in their wall as is safer than just using one strap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JSxy43fnPA
    I’m not going to risk my neck for a poxy £100 thats for sure:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I've also spoken with BPS that supplied my combi ladder and they do not recommend that the stabaliser bar is taken off their ladders as I asked if they did a conversion kit to use it as a standard ladder which they said no they don't.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Im talking to myself again...Oops!:rolleyes:

But at least I know what my little friend on my shoulder is going to say next.

Do you? :confused:

4. TolishAPurd

Oi oi smurf. The sky engineer that came round to fit my dish the other day drilled a hole in my wall. I was planning on posting about it but you beat me too it. His setup wasn't as elaborate with ropes/pulleys etc, but he had a webbing strap bolted in my wall. I was tempted to kick off as I think its a **** drilling into someones wall to steady a ladder when there are plenty of other methods available....I had just bought the ankalad myself that very week. I think they stuck a rubber bung in afterwards, so maybe they plan on using it as an anchor point again.

Listen to the voice in your head smurf, you know whats right and wrong.

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

It must be cheapncheerful side kick saying "bugger that just do a runner":D

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I turned down another job today as the chap lives in a mid terraced house with no back access. He wanted me to go next door and lift the ladders over a 6 foot fence. I'm getting way to old now to be messing about like that :rolleyes:

7. kahoona

kahoona Well-Known Member

This may sound a bit radical but is it feasible to remove a section of the lean to roof to gain access?

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Good point & not radical at all :thumbsup:

I already asked and the chap said no as it's lead flashed to the wall and he dosen't want to be messing about with the roof panels. Nor would I offer to take them out and put them back myself if the truth be known.

9. kahoona

kahoona Well-Known Member

shame, the only other suggestion i can thing of (& its far from ideal) is a couple of roofing ladders and go up and over from the front, making sure you harness up and tie yourself off, since you probably don't want to be doing a Tom Daily on to that lean to roof!

10. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I'm not that desperate to earn £100 and still would drill holes in their walls anyway but a lot more of them for each ladder set:D

Advertisement