Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help Needed The *** Freezer.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Goldoak

Apart from bringing in poles and hose with manifolds. .how can I keep my van itself warm..pumps and connection points..ro membranes from freezing..I use blankets over the top it works just worried it might get colder and damage the above. ..thanks..plug in a heater is not an option. As it will cost a damn fortune. .

Thanks

i have a immersion heater fitted to my tank it cost around £2 a day .Its gives me warm water during the day which stops everything freezzing and also it works as a large radiator day and night

You have many options, it's been done to death this subject really and there should be loads of info if you use the search function.

The immersion heater is a very good option if you have a bit of basic DIY knowledge as it gives warm water in the day for cleaning etc

Some are using greenhouse heaters which are very low power (50- a few hundred watts) and can be left on all night at very minimal cost, pennies really.

I personally use http://www.johnlewis.com/230856015/Product.aspx which is a oil filled radiator. It's only 500 watts and costs maybe 5-7p an hour to run. It really throws out the heat, many use them to heat small rooms in the house. the heat hits me when i open the van door in the morning (i have insulated my van also) I got this in a sale and had a couple of vouchers so it only cost me £17. eBay have very similar low wattage ones for around £20.

Whatever option you use you need to think in terms of what it costs you missing a few hours or even the day if you can't work due to letting things freeze. The cost of heating the van is very small...for me it's maybe 70p max per night ( turn heater on at 9 and off at 7) £4.90 a week max, £20 a month, £80 for a full winter of 4 months, heater on every single night. Realistically it may be on for half that time, if that. Plus it will cut in and out during the night so will be less money...you get the idea.

A warm van with equipment ready to work every morning or save myself 70p and find I can't work the next day, it's a no brainer really.

The costs can seem daunting at first but do a bit of research and you'll find very low cost options.

Regards,

Lee

Ihaveallofyourhair covered it really. Cost is not a problem to me. Whatever you earn outweighs the expense of heating the van. plus, if using electric, you can claim some of your monthly bill back. I think i currently claim 15% over the whole year.

My van is like a sauna when I open the door. I didn't lose a single days work over the last 2 winters due to frozen stuff. Usually, it gets warm enough to work by 10am even after a bad frost. But if your stuff freezes, it doesn't matter what happens at 10am, cos you are still defrosting your van.

Use WHATEVER it takes to heat your van cos we all have different circumstances and blow the cost, you will gain it back.

Ihaveallofyourhair covered it really. Cost is not a problem to me. Whatever you earn outweighs the expense of heating the van. plus, if using electric, you can claim some of your monthly bill back. I think i currently claim 15% over the whole year.

My van is like a sauna when I open the door. I didn't lose a single days work over the last 2 winters due to frozen stuff. Usually, it gets warm enough to work by 10am even after a bad frost. But if your stuff freezes, it doesn't matter what happens at 10am, cos you are still defrosting your van.

Use WHATEVER it takes to heat your van cos we all have different circumstances and blow the cost, you will gain it back.
i agree, just look at the cost of what you have in the van, thats a lot of money in there!

Back