Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ignore me if you like.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

.....but I will write about this now as hopefully it might cause you to pay it the consideration and respect it deserves.

About 3 weeks ago I was hypo cleaning a roof. I wear a full face visor when I hypo anything.

Somehow I accidentally hit the lances trigger on my lance and fired a stream of quite weak solution in front of me.

A drop, literally no more than that hit the rung on my ladder, bounced off and under my visor and hit me in the face litrerally in the center of my left lower eyelid.

I wiped it off thought no more of it. Within the hour it had swollen to the size of a large grape. A trip to the medics and shed loads of clean and rinse later he advised me if it had been 3mm higher he would be concerned that I would have done long term damage.

It remained swollen and painful for about 3 days and I do mean painful (a continual burning feeling)

Will I still hypo? Yep but not without my fully sealed goggles under my visor.

Many here dish out the advice 'just hypo it' 'chuck some bio on it' etc etc.... and for those with any experience it is easy to spot those that are dishing out regurgitated words they read somewhere with no actual experience of practical use of this stuff so if you dont have the experience in using this stuff please dont advise others on how to use it.

I will not be writing much if anything on the topics of softwash for the foreseable future as I would honestly hate myself if I caused someone harm by sounding flippant or making it sound safe to do.

So please, heed these words and don't f♡ck about with these chems unless you have the right PPE and someone to help you learn how to apply it properly as it can bite even the most experienced user on the a$$!

Lecture over.

Last edited by a moderator:
.....but I will write about this now as hopefully it might cause you to pay it the consideration and respect it deserves.
About 3 weeks ago I was hypo cleaning a roof. I wear a full face visor when I hypo anything.

Somehow I accidentally hit the lances trigger on my lance and fired a stream of quite weak solution in front of me.

A drop, literally no more than that hit the rung on my ladder, bounced off and under my visor and hit me in the face litrerally in the center of my left lower eyelid.

I wiped it off thought no more of it. Within the hour it had swollen to the size of a large grape. A trip to the medics and shed loads of clean and rinse later he advised me if it had been 3mm higher he would be concerned that I would have done long term damage.

It remained swollen and painful for about 3 days and I do mean painful (a continual burning feeling)

Many here dish out the advice 'just hypo it' 'chuck some bio on it' etc etc.... and for those with any experience it is easy to spot those that are dishing out regurgitated words they read somewhere with no actual experience of practical use of this stuff so if you dont have the experience in using this stuff please dont advise others on how to use it.

I will not be writing much if anything on the topics of softwash for the foreseable future as I would honestly hate myself if I caused someone harm by sounding flippant or making it sound safe to do.

So please, heed these words and don't f♡ck about with these chems unless you have the right PPE and someone to help you learn how to apply it properly as it can bite even the most experienced user on the a$$!

Lecture over.
I do agree with what you are saying but surely this is the same way that ss reacted he wouldn't post how to clean panels safely if those in the know freely share there knowledge with others on here it will benefit all and hopefully make all of us safer using these chemicals surely that's what this forum is all about ???please don't take this the wrong way it's not a criticism but if ones like your self who clearly do a lot of this type of work help others we all benefit , I've been using hypo for over 10 years but am still prepared to listen and learn from ones with more experience and luckily haven't had a bad experience like you have just described, maybe I've been fortunate as accidents do happen but you are in a good position to offer advice on how to do it safely . As far as Ime aware there is very limited training training available on this subject only a couple of firms that want to promote there own products ???? If you Google soft washing most of the info comes from America from what I've seen they all spray hypo with clouds of it going everywhere with no ppe at all , knowing what the yanks are like for suing people Ime surprised there aren't nemourous law suites going on ?? But there doesn't seam to be any , surprisingly

There is one small difference between this and Mr SS.

This happened and when I can prize her phone from hands I can show you photographic proof.

All we wanted from SS was a shred of proof as to his claims.

As for training this is something I do actually offer (see my web site) and I will continue to train lads (and lasses if they ask) What I am saying though is I feel it a bit irresponsible to simply write about how to use it without practical demonstration and hands on teaching so to speak.

Would you hand the keys to an airplane to someone with a written guide or would you want to be there in person to ensure they do it safely and dont repeat any mistakes you may have made?

Hope i'm making sense.

There is one small difference between this and Mr SS.
This happened and when I can prize her phone from hands I can show you photographic proof.

All we wanted from SS was a shred of proof as to his claims.

As for training this is something I do actually offer (see my web site) and I will continue to train lads (and lasses if they ask) What I am saying though is I feel it a bit irresponsible to simply write about how to use it without practical demonstration and hands on teaching so to speak.

Would you hand the keys to an airplane to someone with a written guide or would you want to be there in person to ensure they do it safely and dont repeat any mistakes you may have made?

Hope i'm making sense.
No I do understand exactly what you are saying but surely if the dangers are explained to all don't do this or make sure you do that it will help all of us weather new to the job or been using the stuff for years . I openly admit I have had no formal training for hypo the way I use it is from reasearch on the internet and trial and error Ime happy to learn new , better,safer ways to use it I think it would be good to be able to learn about it somehow , it seams to be a bit of a black art with many not wanting to offer help and advice almost afrade that they will loose work to someone else that's certainly how it is where I live . Ime not having a go at you and do understand what you are saying some people are not hands on types and would be a danger to themselves and others with water let alone hypo !!! I do think though the more info that's openly available to all the safer it should be to use , when I started it was virtually impossible to get any info In this country , how did you learn out of interest ?

Hi Guys

Would any of you be interested in being taught SoftWashing by Mr AC Lockyer April 24th and 25th?

I will place a paid for advertisement on here giving full details later on...(when I figure out how)

Hi GuysWould any of you be interested in being taught SoftWashing by Mr AC Lockyer April 24th and 25th?

I will place a paid for advertisement on here giving full details later on...(when I figure out how)
You would have to speak to Gav

I covered myself with hypo before when a connector failed under pressure and i got showered in it

No ppe as i was in my own garden sorting a home made delivery system for a job the next morning and testing it on a dirty wall

I am lucky i was at home as i literally chucked my clothes off and ran to the shower and that was already stinging

Was it plain hypo or u have stuff mixed in ? I accidentally got hypo and biocide on my hand at one time. Not good. Lol I now have a skin condition

Sounds like a sore one Green. Thanks for the info, as I'm going to offer the service, but this makes you think is it worth it. My wife calls me Mr.health n safety so I do have an acute awareness of working safe. I recently took my wife to the hospital n saw a van, all signed up to do softwashing, it was parked outside the a&e department, I did wonder if they had an accident? If you do have an accident with these chemicals it can be life changing, so have to weigh up the costs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It's easy to be flippant until something goes wrong.

I once sanded down a lot filler in my house walls in my house. I did use a mask but it quickly became clogged up and I didn't bother changing it.

Over the next couple of days my throat and lungs got increasingly painfull. Ended up going to hospital with breathing difficulties. It turned out ok and eventually cleared up on its own but who knows what damage it did to my lungs.

Just an example of doing anything and thinking it'll be alright.

afrade that they will loose work to someone else
More afraid they will do themselves harm. I do not fear competition, I welcome it, keeps me on my toes.

I do think though the more info that's openly available to all the safer it should be to use
Not really. Theory is one thing practice is another. I dont want to simply say 'this is how to do it 'without being sure you've comprehended what I am saying.

how did you learn out of interest ?
I first came across it when living in the U.S. back in the early 2000s was watching some guys doing houses on the estate where we lived and got chatting with them just out of curiosity. No intent to enter the trade.

When i came home in 2008 I was asking all the big suppliers here what they knew aboit softwashing and the answer was a generic 'you wahhhh?? Errmmmm??' Now they all think they're experts. So I have spent the past decade getting on with it. Trial and error and yes I have made errors but these made me better.

I think it would be good to be able to learn about it somehow ,
Ask and you shall receive. Watch this space. We will be adding a one day course to our services very soon but wont say any more till paid @Gav some advertising dollars this week.

More afraid they will do themselves harm. I do not fear competition, I welcome it, keeps me on my toes.

Not really. Theory is one thing practice is another. I dont want to simply say 'this is how to do it 'without being sure you've comprehended what I am saying.

I first came across it when living in the U.S. back in the early 2000s was watching some guys doing houses on the estate where we lived and got chatting with them just out of curiosity. No intent to enter the trade.

When i came home in 2008 I was asking all the big suppliers here what they knew aboit softwashing and the answer was a generic 'you wahhhh?? Errmmmm??' Now they all think they're experts. So I have spent the past decade getting on with it. Trial and error and yes I have made errors but these made me better.

Ask and you shall receive. Watch this space. We will be adding a one day course to our services very soon but wont say any more till paid @Gav some advertising dollars this week.
Thanks for your thoughts I do agree with what you are saying ,most of the research I did cane from the states they seam to have no comprehension of h&s at all stood on top of roofs with no fall arrest , spraying hypo everywhere with clouds of it drifting everywhere, I for one would be very intrested in doing a course with you at some point always willing to learn any find safer ways of doing the job ,can you pm me at some point about this please ? I did have a look on your site but was a bit confused about courses all I need is the soft wash part to be fair for up to 4 people probably only two at a time as cannot afford to all be off at the same time thanks for your help Paul

I work with hypo every day, I never give advice out on how to use it because of the above. I used to spout on about reading COSHH sheets and the like but I'm afraid most would just care to ignore the simple things that could potentially save there eyesight or a severe chemical burn. I'm fully trained in the use of swimming pool chemicals which includes hypo, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and when I teach pool plant training no one leaves without a full bag of PPE that must be worn EVERY time the chemicals are handled. This includes a p3 mask with replaceable filters. Great post green, and I applaud your stance on this.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I work with hypo every day, I never give advice out on how to use it because of the above. I used to spout on about reading COSHH sheets and the like but I'm afraid most would just care to ignore the simple things that could potentially save there eyesight or a severe chemical burn. I'm fully trained in the use of swimming pool chemicals which includes hypo, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and when I teach pool plant training no one leaves without a full bag of PPE that must be worn EVERY time the chemicals are handled. This includes a p3 mask with replaceable filters. Great post green, and I applaud your stance on this.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I hear what you are saying and do agree but there are a lot of chemicals that we all use everyday , I just thought rightly or wrongly that sharing my experience might help people use it safely rather than experiment and cause harm , ime a great believer in sharing knowledge sorry if I've offended ones that wasn't my intention

I hear what you are saying and do agree but there are a lot of chemicals that we all use everyday , I just thought rightly or wrongly that sharing my experience might help people use it safely rather than experiment and cause harm , ime a great believer in sharing knowledge sorry if I've offended ones that wasn't my intention
I don't believe anyone is offended mate and if they are I don't see why. :confused:

Lecture over.
what goggles do you use ?

i would be intersted in this course.

what would you teach in addition to h&s in regards to softwashing?

I was working on a conservatory job last week which involved conny roof ladders and cleaning all upvc to sparkling condition

Anyway i was scrubbing the outside of the gutters with a bronze wool pad and a mix of chems i use containing some degreaser and other secret ingredients (none of them hypo or anything caustic) and as it ran down my arm it left burn marks all over it which needed rinsing for a while with garden tap and stayed for ages

Just shows that even what you think is safe may not be as when you mix stuff that should be harmless you actually are creating a different beast altogether due to chemical reactions

Back