Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do I Need To Scrim Every Window?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

M

Malone204

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.

I scrim almost every window, not always all the way around but i don't like leaving water and soap round the edges.

Some people don't use a scrim at all!

I was thinking that i could save a load of time by not scrimming all the windows but don't want to start getting complaints. On the other hand most of the customer might not even notice!

Any thoughts or tips from past experience

I have hardly any water on my mop and leave a 5m gap at top and bottom (so only really detail sides) works well for me

I sometimes find when mopping and leaving a small gap around edges, whenever I blade, you can still see dirt around where I never mopped, even if I pass over twice it dosent remove everything

Wash the whole window, blade it and wipe the edges every time, change your scrim regularly as you will end up leaving dirty lines around the edges. I don't use scrim myself, I use microfiber which I buy from Lee Burbidge from the 'Window Cleaning Magazine'

Leave a 5mm gap all the way round and push the water into the edges. Hardly any detailing. Also make sure you have a overhang of 2mm on yer rubber

Go down the edges at an angle works for me,hardly any detail to clean at all,if I do the scrim over my shoulder is always dry n clean.in my pouch I keep sill and frame cloths.

Most experienced tradders hardly have to do much detailing. Mainy on sealed units but even then not always. We cut our scrim into three and one or two pieces last all day.

Most experienced tradders hardly have to do much detailing. Mainy on sealed units but even then not always. We cut our scrim into three and one or two pieces last all day.
well said.

i barely detail on wooden frames as the wood tends to absorb the water at the edges anyway, but if its a upvc window then you will have to detail no matter what, you can dog-ear your squeegee, work the angles, leave a 5mm gap etc etc, but if you care about the quality of your work then id detail them all

i barely detail on wooden frames as the wood tends to absorb the water at the edges anyway, but if its a upvc window then you will have to detail no matter what, you can dog-ear your squeegee, work the angles, leave a 5mm gap etc etc, but if you care about the quality of your work then id detail them all
Yep true mate, well said!

Yep true mate, well said!
the thing is we as window cleaners get payed a bloody decent wage compared to most people, if you feel like you need to cut corners to increase speed and earn more then IMO your just being greedy, do the job your being paid for, and do it properly

I dont scrimm glazed bathroom windows too often, but the guys are right if you first leave a small gap while washing you can reduce the scriming...

the thing is we as window cleaners get payed a bloody decent wage compared to most people, if you feel like you need to cut corners to increase speed and earn more then IMO your just being greedy, do the job your being paid for, and do it properly
I totally agree with u GM obviously tho theres a few that dont, but i like to do things properly, much the same as u really.

I totally agree with u GM obviously tho theres a few that dont, but i like to do things properly, much the same as u really.
i make sure i put the effort in, clean every frame/sill, detail every edge etc, and doing it properly i still get 3 houses done an hour, thats £24ph for me, thats enough

Agreed

I heard a slogan once "We don't cut corners we clean them." If you think people don't notice I think they do. /emoticons/smile.png

Depends how much they pay.If good money detail if not don't bother
Don't agree with that. You set the price not the customer so it's not there fault it's not good money so if it needs scriming surely you do it.

Latest Posts

Back