Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

VAT on domestic & commercial

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello,

After some advice. My business is growing and I'm approaching VAT. My issue is, I can add VAT to my commercial clients but I can't see my domestic customers paying it?

Someone has advised me that I can have two sole traders, one for domestic and one for commercial. I already run another business and that's separate so I know that technically it's correct. But has anyone got any actual experience?

Thanks

The other person is talking sh*te, if you set up two companies both owned by you then the tax man will apply the aggregation of businesses law and consider them as one entity and charge you VAT.

You say you are approaching VAT thresholds, you are aware that VAT is chargeable on £81000 turnover in any 12 month period, so if you have just had a good six month run you may well be liable for VAT on that as well.

Go talk to an accountant, that's the best advice you'll get not the chap at the bar with iffy advice. /emoticons/smile.png

The other person is talking sh*te, if you set up two companies both owned by you then the tax man will apply the aggregation of businesses law and consider them as one entity and charge you VAT.
You say you are approaching VAT thresholds, you are aware that VAT is chargeable on £81000 turnover in any 12 month period, so if you have just had a good six month run you may well be liable for VAT on that as well.

Go talk to an accountant, that's the best advice you'll get not the chap at the bar with iffy advice. /emoticons/smile.png
This is what I thought, think I will just have to stay under the VAT threshold. As something doing small like picking up a £15 customer would mean I have to collect/pay VAT on my previous 6 months work! Happy to pay the tax and then the VAT on commercial stuff, but just seems crazy that something like this can stop small businesses from growing. My accountant said to stay under the threshold

were abouts are you ?? if u r going to go over it u might aswell make it worth it by advertising and canvassing to get it well up

were abouts are you ?? if u r going to go over it u might aswell make it worth it by advertising and canvassing to get it well up
The problem is that I'd need an extra £20,000 worth of work straight away for it not to cripple my cash flow etc, so if I'm going to pass it, I'd have to get a lot bigger and I'm not sure that's what I want.

I am of the position where to expand my monthly I have decided to just shut down for September, this allows for a well stacked 11 months a year as well as a decent sized break each year for a recharge. /emoticons/smile.png

That's something I've been thinking about for the last few years. I think there will always be room for the smaller guys, but I don't think it will be long until the big boys push a lot of people out of business. "Nationwide Window Cleaning" are popping up all over the place and were given a £3,000,000.00 grant to grow and develop their business! Most window cleaners can't even get a business loan at first

people putting pics of national stores ie harveys and argos etc saying they lost this to a national company on the windie fb pages

Ah yeah, I have a restaurant chain, and they sacked me off a couple of years ago, the national company got in a bunch of idiots and I had the contract back inside three months

That's something I've been thinking about for the last few years. I think there will always be room for the smaller guys, but I don't think it will be long until the big boys push a lot of people out of business. "Nationwide Window Cleaning" are popping up all over the place and were given a £3,000,000.00 grant to grow and develop their business! Most window cleaners can't even get a business loan at first
Have a look into startup loans they are available for anyone trading less than 5 years I think.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Have a look into startup loans they are available for anyone trading less than 5 years I think.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app
The only ones I could find were less then 2 years, however there is a company called GLE that do loans for young businesses and if it's under 2500 they don't look too hard. My credit ratings shocking and I'm waiting for the outcome of my application as I need a works van as my cars taking a hammering of late

Back