Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Washing up liquid in seals

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Alex87

Basically I have picked up a few customers in one area and they all used to be done trad for years and years.

Noticed before cleaning one today washing up liquid or whatever he used along top of window.

I scrubbed the seal and gave a good rinse done rest of windows but when I returned I could see it with the sun shining on it.

Any suggestions how I prevent this please.

Thanks

Over the years the soap will have built up in the seals the same can happen with wooden frames.

You need to scrub and plenty of rinsing you need to flush the soap out.it can take a couple of cleans.

Over the years the soap will have built up in the seals the same can happen with wooden frames.You need to scrub and plenty of rinsing you need to flush the soap out.it can take a couple of cleans.
But it will eventually go.

They are anti wfp as it is and I try to explain why and they say can't you just get up a ladder and do them.

The one said earlier that when she notices it she goes out and cleans the top of window with washing up liquid. Silly bat. Just going around in circles.

WELL there nothing wrong with using fairy to clean windows mate

and second if you picked up from a trad cleaner expect the seals to hold it eventualy they will empty over time maybe 3 cleans in perfect finish

WELL there nothing wrong with using fairy to clean windows mate
and second if you picked up from a trad cleaner expect the seals to hold it eventualy they will empty over time maybe 3 cleans in perfect finish
Not saying anything wrong with it. Just the thought of me trying to clear it out the seals and her topping them back up.

Thanks for the info. At least I know what to say when they query it.

theres that famous water fed pole excuse!

it will be at least 3 cleans before its right!!!!

what a load of rubbish, scrub it better first time and it will be right first time.

it could even be water marks or small droplets of lime scale,

i find the trick is to clean them scrub them seals rinse the hell out of them then go bk to the first window and then just clean the glass only its idel on a warm day as if they dry quick thats best i think as when u go to do them again u get a perfect finish

what a load of rubbish, scrub it better first time and it will be right first time.

y'now rich i'm inclined to agree with you on this one,it can be done properly the first time regardless of rinsing and rinsing again

i offer a policy of a free re clean if there is a problem and in ten years i have had only eight complaints about runs etc

y'now rich i'm inclined to agree with you on this one,it can be done properly the first time regardless of rinsing and rinsing againi offer a policy of a free re clean if there is a problem and in ten years i have had only eight complaints about runs etc
I'm the same, I always say to them all our work is guaranteed so if there is any problems or any marks on the windows after they are dry, please call us or drop us a text and we will come back and put anything right again free of charge.

never had a call back or anyone say next time I'm there anything about marks being left.

take your time first time and all will be good!

First cleans are a nightmare especially if they have been trad for many years. When we change our houses from trad to Wfp first cleans can sometimes take up 10 times longer than usual if seals are full of detergents/chemicals. I agree with rcproperty you need to do first cleans properly imo, you want the customer to believe in the system so they need to see it for themselves from their very first clean.

When we change them over I'll give customer little leaflet that's explains Wfp how it works etc. If customer keeps putting cleaning g products on the Windows in between cleans you may have to spend abit longer on certain Windows (eventually you will get an eye for this)

On the other hand some people are so stuck in ways that there is no pleasing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

First cleans are a nightmare especially if they have been trad for many years. When we change our houses from trad to Wfp first cleans can sometimes take up 10 times longer than usual if seals are full of detergents/chemicals. I agree with rcproperty you need to do first cleans properly imo, you want the customer to believe in the system so they need to see it for themselves from their very first clean.When we change them over I'll give customer little leaflet that's explains Wfp how it works etc. If customer keeps putting cleaning g products on the Windows in between cleans you may have to spend abit longer on certain Windows (eventually you will get an eye for this)

On the other hand some people are so stuck in ways that there is no pleasing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Cheers. I far from rush at the moment as I am over scrubbing if anything. All a learning curve though as I'm only a few months in.

Thanks for all your advice.

Cheers. I far from rush at the moment as I am over scrubbing if anything. All a learning curve though as I'm only a few months in.
Thanks for all your advice.
every when you get a years in there is always things that you need to learn. always that one window or something that you have never come across that gets you thinking lol

I actually agree with you on that one... however, only once has this been a problem in over 12 years wfp and it's the instance I refer to above. The seals were made from a foam type material which had absorbed a couple of years worth of fairy from the previous trad cleaner. Two houses next to each other, one had had the windows cleaned regular trad and the other hadn't been cleaned since new (both houses were approx 2 to 3 years old). The one which hadn't been cleaned was absolutely filthy as you can imagine but it turned out to be the easiest first clean of the Two!! The other kept leaching soap from the foam seals, you could actually see the water foaming up as the soap came out of the foam!

i think a lot of newbies or splash and dashers use the excuse of it will be fine in 3 cleans time! just to make it sound like they know what they are doing and use it as an excuse for poor work.

no wonder wfp gets a bad rep from people and at times say they don't like the wfp system because joe blogs left all spots and runs on the windows etc.

i think a lot of newbies or splash and dashers use the excuse of it will be fine in 3 cleans time! just to make it sound like they know what they are doing and use it as an excuse for poor work.
no wonder wfp gets a bad rep from people and at times say they don't like the wfp system because joe blogs left all spots and runs on the windows etc.
It's probably come about for a number of reasons- firstly and foremost I would imagine is plain inexperience and then just accepted as par for the course- it seems a lot of things just get repeated on forums whether they're actually true or not. However, an experienced wfp'er shouldn't really be having issues on first cleans- nothing that takes Three cleans to eradicate anyway.

I've always said the same about wfp, it's not rocket science. A bit of knowledge, understanding and experience is all that's required to make it work great. Forget all the myths, once you understand how and what is happening then this is usually enough to cure any problem. It's like when someone gets a leak then changes all their fittings over to a different type, water-proofs the whole van etc etc etc... instead of actually curing the leak!/emoticons/biggrin.png As I've said before regarding myths- all my fittings are Hozelock type, I've never water-proofed a van to date, I have zero leaks, none of my connectors pop off, I don't even use jubilee clips on my pipes- just plastic cable ties suffice and still... no leaks. Yet look at the advice you see to anyone with a leak and the lengths they go to fix a problem that didn't always exist!

I know its all crazy.

I got all house grade plumbing in mine, only get the odd drip from the hoselock connector on the hose reel, but that's due to I use hot all the time and when its cold first thing it gives the odd drip, once the hot is running through all drips stop.

I must admit i am partial to the odd cable tie hose clip

I have been wfp since last june/july ish and have no problems with first cleans

I offer the same guarantee of any problems I'll be round to sort it and i have no problems to sort

You can't beat a good scrub and rinse

Doesn’t actually take too long to scrub the hell out of the rubbers

I use ubik/virosol on first cleans which strictly speaking isn't just using pure is it but it takes a lot of the effort out of removing all the built up muck from the rubbers and leaves a perfect finish with a good rinse

Basically I have picked up a few customers in one area and they all used to be done trad for years and years.
Noticed before cleaning one today washing up liquid or whatever he used along top of window.

I scrubbed the seal and gave a good rinse done rest of windows but when I returned I could see it with the sun shining on it.

Any suggestions how I prevent this please.

Thanks
It can take a couple of cleans to shift the old soap, as it seems to draw the soap out, soap has been in the seals for a while. Just do your your best and rinse and scrub alot move and do rest of windows and start again, say goodbye to all your pure water:gush:

Back