I'm new to the game- starting out end of january

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by dave83, Dec 3, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. dave83

dave83 Member

Hi everyone,
    Going to start out window cleaning end of january- my thoughts- everyone will be either spending for xmas or skint after- 20 jan is start off day.
    I'm going to canvass the hell out of a small town of 7500 properties.
    Location- Suffolk- Bungalow City to be precise.
    Competition- After reading the forum, they are not my customers, if they approach me and already have a windy then fine but won't be looking to poach anyone.
    Bungalows- not sure what to charge, surely it's easy for people to do there selves if they have a bungalow, although this is a retirement, pretty sleepy suffolk market town. Any help on pricing would be much appreciated.
    Pricing model:- if i secure 3 properties along the same street at £10, to get the next two would you drop to £9 and to get the next five drop to £8?
    Equipment- I'm going to buy a 25 litre trolley and buy a pole. This is to stop buying a van so early. This leaves me with lack of presence- i.e a visual sign of a van but will wear uniform with name of business etc. R/O system already present.
    Payment:- I will eventually setup a website- I have done this before for other businesses, i will make sure paypal is an option of payment to avoid the dreaded knock on the door when no one is ever in.
    Added Services- I was thinking of cleaning the wheelie bin whilst at the address. This is to add value. My background is chemicals so the idea would be to use a seperate brush for the bin and then leave lemon/bubblegum/vanilla. This is an added value service so i'm thinking of doing this for a low price of £3, if they dont want there windows cleaned then it's £6.
    I appreciate any advise, i've done the university, couldn't do the office- surrounded by vipers, and slit your throat in your sleep individuals!

Thanks

Dave.

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#2 boarcity, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    heya fella. wherebouts in suffolk are you ,i might be able to slide some work your way purely cos ur on this forum ,as im in suffolk too. with a few exceptions,suffolk windies are a bunch of cooonts who wont help you but Will hinder you.

heres my thoughts on your post

dont delay starting ,or doubts creep in . start today! There can be a lot of hostility to WFP especially if youre following in the tracks of a flash harry water guy . you will need charm to get a toehold and u will need to work a squeegee cos theyll want insides doing . make em laugh ,if you can, do handstands a chuckle goes a long way i promise you

bungalows, they wont come easy ,sure theyre the cream dead easy to do but in my opinion go for the houses first or you might get despondent with the results of canvassing . Suffolk prices , dont go below a pound per window or you will regret it.
    wheelie bin clean well uv got to be followin the binman , not a day later

just my opinion.

3. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

4. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Charge the same always. Your time is the same so the price is the same.

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Nope. Bit daft that idea ( in my mind)

When you go back month 2 the first three say ' well you only charge that end of the street £8' and you look like you're trying to pull a fast one.
    Same size house = same price.

You will get them say. Oh well you are on this road already so you can do a better price.

Sky TV - Virgin etc are on that road already but they aren't going to lower their price.

6. Simply Business

Simply Business Well-Known Member
    Supplier

7. Cookie

Cookie Member

The best of luck to you. I do a lot of bungalows in my area and use a smaller/lighter pole for them (Gardiners CLX-10). Bungalows are somewhat easier than houses however in my experience you are more likely to get obstacles in the way such as gardens pots/gnomes etc... which means the job can take a little longer and you therefore need to charge more. As far as add-on services are concerned I like the idea of wheelie bin cleaning but you'll most likely also get asked to clean conservatories, fascias, gutters (inside & outside) as well ...

8. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

9. Posh

Posh Hero

First 2 bungalows £10
    Next 3 are £9
    Next 3 are £8

Lady of the 1st talks to lady of the eighth & just mentions in conversation what a bargain we get for our windows at £8.
    Lady of 1st says but ours are £10. Why??

10. Posh

Posh Hero

Stick to the same prices or your get in a muddle.

Good luck to you

Advertisement