Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Subzero temps

David K

we are looking forward to subzero over here in dk , its the only situation that i really hate about being a WFP cleaner . Heather in van and so on ..:mad:What do you guys do ? You trad em , or just wait it Out !?.. :rolleyes:

Errmmm,,, nope, don't trad em, just go to work as usual.

The way some harp on on here about 'freezing' conditions, 'sub-zero' temperatures anyone would think you were working Barrow Alaska.

A £20 oil filled rad from any store will prevent your water from freezing, even if it cost you £20 to run it for one night surely that's worth it so you can earn tomorrow. Also 'Pure' water has a lower freezing temp than tap waters.

I am sorry David but it seems the mentality is very defeatist, you are preparing and excuse to not to have to work before the event even happens.

So what if it's cold out? Put on some long johns (thermals for the non English here) and just man up.

I aint trying to have a go but it would take a damn site more of an act of God than the weather getting a bit cold to stop me doing my job.

If you don't like the cold I'm sure there's a position somewhere in McDonalds right next to the fryer that you could apply for instead?

A quick P.S. on 'acts of god'

To all my counterparts North of me from Shefffield to the Highlands, that are losing work and unable to get to work due to the flooding and awful weather, you do truly have my sympathy and if I can offer any assistance (not cash but assistance) with whatever you need then please don't hesitate to ask!

Well thanks green for the hint about MC Donalds , in all my 16 years on the job i have Been trying to qualify for the academy.. But ronny donny dont want me . Been doin fine in all my years , including about 4 years ago when it hit -19 degrees in dk . Worked all 8 hrs with my buddy . If you read my post , this is about the fact that water ( not me ) do freeze . Law of physics . And when it reaches about -3 , its game over ! And thats a fact . So i was simply asking what you other wfp guys do then . ? Its has nothing to do with anxiety of cold Weather as im fine aware after 16 years on the job . If im tradding it dont matter how cold it is , i dont Care . We are simply talking wfp. But it sounds to me that you have some kind of water that allows you to do ,what mine Wont ..

pipe insualtion and water tank silver foil wrap around tank

i carry a pouch od grit with me when it really bad and grit round the house but some on here will say u shudn do tht /emoticons/ohmy.png

The only waterfed i do is with a backpack from time to time, i fill it up with warm water in the morning then down in the car where i stay warm for some hours.

I have seen van mounted system that simply have a heater installed into the tank, dont remeber the name but similar to the ones in a water boiler. It should keep the water warm all day.

Sounds good ! Just went Out to my newly installer 1000 L rainwater harvest tank and looked at 1000l of ice-chunk :confused:

I def gonna insulate that !

In van i have Oil radiator so thats good . Actually i know a few tht also spreads salt around houses after work in subtemps .

Been thinking about it , and the lawsuit that i could get on my tail if someone slipped in an icepool that i made .. Good idea mate !:thumbsup:

pipe insualtion and water tank silver foil wrap around tank
i carry a pouch od grit with me when it really bad and grit round the house but some on here will say u shudn do tht /emoticons/ohmy.png
ound

The only waterfed i do is with a backpack from time to time, i fill it up with warm water in the morning then down in the car where i stay warm for some hours.I have seen van mounted system that simply have a heater installed into the tank, dont remeber the name but similar to the ones in a water boiler. It should keep the water warm all day.
Yeah , ive heard about such a system . Would be great to have Jacob !/emoticons/smile.png

Yes just plug it in over night.

Think it must be the cheapest option if you look away from electricity cost

Lucky guy ! We had about -3 and still all week plus a psyco blizzard on the Way . Then id have my Oil radiator on and when leaving my car on full heat all the time . Then id Think i just try one custy , at the time midday it was -1 , and the Water turned Into slushice instantly !! To the story is Also that we have very high chillfactor , about -15 and it just froze that window up .

-3 no prob tradding /emoticons/biggrin.png i have been doing well today and yesterday. And if i am luckly I in the north avoid the snowstorm, and i am happy cause it looks nasty!

Latest Posts

Back