Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers who talk.....and talk.......and talk.

mrtaytay

Customers. Bless em. I really do love them. We would certainly be lost without them, but some do seem to talk so much that it slows me down no end. I get given garden tours en mass. I am often sat down and fed tea and cakes and told of the latest gossip. I have people follow me round their properties whilst rabbiting on about the price of a pound of bananas or other such interesting subjects. I must have lost 60 minutes today through people wanting to have a chin wag.....sometimes its difficult to carry on working when they are talking to you. Dont get me wrong.....they are all lovely and I really appreciate their custom, but you cant seem to get away from some people.....they dont seem to realise that you have a job to do.......does anyone else find this and what are your tactics for getting away.

Got exactly the same problem (not really a problem, but you know what I mean). Its just the way the job is. I just try and carry on whilst chatting. When people try and give me 'the tour' I just say "I've got an appointment to keep in __minutes, sorry must dash today". A little bit of chit chat is good, but if its stopping you from earning a good wage then its something that needs to be subtly addressed.

It certainly is part of the job and dont get me wrong, I am not moaning about it.....some customers can almost become friends and its lovely to see them. Its just an occasional frustrating aspect.

Of all the trades I do, my window cleaning customers are my favourite. They never begrudge paying, I get loads of tea and biscuits, and they give plenty of tips. ...but sometimes I wish they would pi$$ off and let me get to my next job. /emoticons/biggrin.png

great post mr taytay as usual.....i had one yesterday...well it was my :eek:ldy: day on bungalows so you do expect it....i dodge around and have several methods for dodging them....if i get caught ...i get caught ...at the end of the day they pay my wages...and i always have the greatest respect for them...

i went to do one and she was reading the paper so i thought i will come back later and as i came out of the gate i could see one in the kitchen staring out....so i shot around the back as this one isnt very good on his pins....cruel ...but hey i gotta job to do....i finished around the back but left the kitchen window for later....

i came back to do it and he had gone so victory was mine....

not quite....i was doing the next window along and i heard a door squeak....

i thought he cant get me know im next door...but....oh how are you, i havent seen you for a while?....so i kinda edged towards him as you do being polite and off he went....but he made a mistake....and i was on form ....he said they have given rain for later.....i immediately said....oh have they i had better get a move on then....escaped...

i do feel sorry for a lot of them...as :eek:ldy: i am the highlight of thier day...but as you say....i need to work...and anyway how many cups of tea can one man have.?

any way due to my trip to the dentist....:love::love::love: i had to go back today to finish...something i hate....i like to get it finished the same day....but...i needed a resident to sign my paper to say i had been....i cant keep using the same two i normally do so i was actually looking to be caught....and no one was around....

then shuffling along came one and so i ended up having my chat....and cleaning the kitchen inside ....and then on to another one who caught me as well....she locks the gate and was a bit frightened as i climbed over...its okay so was i ...it was quite rotten....and there she was sat in the conservatory and i had to clean it with her staring straight at me...

and of course she started a conversation...through the double glazing...ahh but she is a dear...i call her manuka woman..as she swears by the honey and even bought me one for xmas....i have a tea spoon everyday as i leave for work....well she is nearly ninety so cant be bad..

sometimes you just have to gab....but that is why i have to go back tomorrow to finish off the area ....hmmmmmm:)

the funniest thing was when i pulled up yesterday one that likes a chat was at the bus stop.....so i shot off to do her windows....silly idiot here got the wrong oldie....she was in....ooops well they all kinda look alike....:whistle:

i have to tell a long story to get tuffers to sleep....:zzz::zzz::zzz:

I had this come through my site this evening for a job I did yesterday which was nice.

"My next door neighbour Val and myself would like to add our praise to your professionalism on the high standard of work you done on cleaning our combined block paving drives and they look as good as new.We would definately recommend to others."

However the chap can defo talk the pants off anyone as I must have lost at least two hours with him nattering... Bless him /emoticons/biggrin.png

That's one of reason why I only have a very select small window cleaning round as would do my head in.

think how much time is lost in a day...then same again collecting

I bet tradesmen who need to call on cnc try dodge him like the plague now too. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Maybe we should have a comp to see how long we can keep others chatting? I bet my missus would win hands down :rolleyes:

Sorry cnc, couldn't resist reading that before :zzz:
Another great post :thumbsup:

I bet tradesmen who need to call on cnc try dodge him like the plague now too. /emoticons/biggrin.png
Maybe we should have a comp to see how long we can keep others chatting? I bet my missus would win hands down :rolleyes:
I want his original avatar back. That was quality /emoticons/biggrin.png

It's called selective hearing @Tuffers. For example I bet when she says you’re on a promise tonight you will hear that for sure /emoticons/biggrin.png

My Mrs says I don't listen to her. At least I thinks that's what she said.

ive got a few who dont stop chatting then they wana c my dog or show u something grrrr i go flat out every day now swetting my ars off an hope people think im to bizzy to stop lol one lady asked me if i can do inside windows i said yea any time she then said i was afrade to ask as u all ways look to bizzy:D u get to no the ones that will keep u there for ages so i try an avoied asking any questions /emoticons/wink.png but some u just cant get away frm no mater how hard u try:rolleyes::zzz: but its just the way this job is i sapose u just have to try an b a :ninja: an duck an dive to avoide them:cool:/emoticons/biggrin.png

Made a nice change to be able to just get on with my work the last couple of days. However I was busting for a pee today and noticed an old boy next door to where I was working so tried to call his attention. Sadly I was ignored as he was probably stone deaf anyway. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back