Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Inside Job

Gleam123

Got my first request for an inside clean this week, how do you guys normally do it?

Im wfp so was thinking perhaps a spray bottle with pure water in it?

I'm trad and do it the same as I do outside but with a little more care. Don't forget to charge a bit more coz altho it's the same number of windows it does take longer. Cannot splash water everywhere and always remember to take your shoes off. Also the window cleaning warehouse do a good interior cleaning kit for about £60 which may help you if yer not confident doing it trad way. Don't know about pure water and a cloth. Hope this helps.

If I was doing inside but wasn't using my squeegee I would use astonish tile and window cleaner which I use for leaded windows and leaves no smears. Put on with a microfibre cloth and wipe off with a micro window micro cloth. Another way is dampen a scrim and clean and buff up with a dry scrim. Either way could take you a while so price it right. Practice on yer own windows first.

I do it exactly the same way as trad cleaning the outside.

However, I do these things:

1. Lie a towel down on the floor to catch the drips running down the window.

2. When T-barring the window make sure to shake off as much excess water as you can reducing the risk of splashing water everywhere.

3. Pay attention to detail. Most people don't clean the inside windows of their houses very often, so therefor there is a higher risk of dirt in the seals etc.

4. When squeegeeing the water off try not to just brush it straight down the window. Go from one side to the other and work your way downwards. This also reduces the ammount of water flying onto the floor.

5. Always microfibre around the edges to give the windows that perfect finish. There's nothing worse than wet edges ruining a good clean inside.

Hope these points help.

James.

Exactly right. As you said James exactly as doing outside. Forgot about the towel. Glad you got that point in. ALWAYS lay a towel down.

You could charge the same as the outside, however, I'm fully WFP so when someone asks me can I do an inside job for them I always say: "Well inside jobs normally take abit longer so I normally charge a little extra". This has always worked everytime (so far).

I did an inside job yesterday for a nice customer of mine. I charge him £8 for the outside clean but I charged £13 for the inside clean and he was perfectly happy with this.

Everyone is different, it's just finding out what they are willing to pay for the service you are offering them.

James.

Out of interest I do a large pub inside and out and it's those little square windows - I WFP outside and inside just use a scrim and pure water in spray bottle - comes up perfect

if you dont have any trad gear at all, put pure in a spray bottle as you said, a drop of fairy liquid - spray the glass & rub with a microfibre cloth . tidy job & no drips( a scrims better if you can get one) you can get overshoes from a builders supply for about £3 a pack. always ask them to move any valuables/breakables away for you & deff charge x1.5 if your not sure try at home you'll shock the missus

i've been using the spray bottle for 3 yrs now & its brilliant - i blade & scrim though

It is going to take you ages to use a cloth and microfibre or scrim, to clean the inside of someone's windows, and to be perfectly honest, although it will do a good job, I think it be look unprofessional to the customer.

My advice would be to go to Homebase or something and buy a squeegee and applicator set, and put some practice in. If you can't wait then go with the spray bottle, but for future jobs, I would definitely learn trad. You wont have to charge so much either, we just price the insides, the same as the outsides.

Deffinately invest in a squeegee & app set. Will look very unprofessional using a microfibre/scrim with no T-Bar and Squeegee.

They are relatively cheap in shops and even cheaper online (Ebay etc). Practice makes perfect in the end so it's worth learning.

James.

If you do buy one don't get a Swear word!py 1 from tescos or asda. At least at homebase they are unger and are fairly decent. I started off with them and still use one now. Asda or tescos have Swear word!py rubber in them which you will end up changing. One more thing take somet in with you that you can rest your aplicator on. Belt bucket or if not got one I rest mine on a bucket lid. You wet the window and then go to squeegee it off you can guarentee your applicator will drip while your holding it. You can while squeegeeing have your applicator underneath to catch the water.

Yeah that's a good point from Posh, I bought a Tesco squeegee and the rubber ended up starting to split on the left side. It was so cheap you couldn't even replace it because It was glue'd on. Deffinately DO NOT go to Tesco.

James.

Don't mess about with cheapo kit from tesco, homebase etc the customer could do that. You're professionals, get professional kit - Unger, Ettore or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Doing inside ALWAYS takes longer especially if you are using wfp outside (don't be tempted to use it inside. It'll only upset the customer). It takes longer because o f taking extra care with their stuff etc. Also handles get in the way as well.

If they are a slave to the demon weed (smokers) try a bit of household ammonia in the water as it will cut through tobacco that ordinary soap won't touch. The brown goo that can come off has to be seen to be believed!!

Back