Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

buying pure water v making own water cost

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jay198127

wondered if any of you guys could let me know idea of cost setting up to make own water..

at the moment due to getting busier to near maxed out, I am currently buying in approx 1500ltrs-1700ltrs+ a week from local place near me at a cost of £2.50 per 100 ltrs so roughly £40 a week.

I live in essex which I believe is hard water area I think tds is around 270 on tap water.

also I am on a water meter which probably don't help. and bill for my home water currently is around £40mth for water coming in and £40 for waste.

how fast do you go through your resin and filters and cost of these also...

wear I get water from i don't really do a lot around that area as my customer Base is in other towns.. so have fuel to factor in to price as well probably around £10 diesel for 2 trips a week as I hold 850ltrs in my van.

am I better off carrying on this way as I have done since starting...

also heard making own water not as straight forward as you think...

I know the water I buy is guaranteed tds 0000 every time...and I never had any complaints of spotting etc...

basically is it worth it....

thanks for any advice guys.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hey mate,

Hmm a real dilemma but at least in a good way as work has picked up hey??

I live in Bournemouth which is a hard water area too around 250-280ppm. Fortunately I'm not on a water meter, but a close mate of mine is who is a window cleaner too. We have exactly the same R.O system. He had his 4 monthly water bill in about 2 weeks ago, it was £600!! For 4 months! Crazy. It's just him & his wife, who are out of the house most of the time so 75% of that is just pure water making.

He makes his own water and only uses about 1000-1500L a week of pure water. And he has good water pressure (60psi which is pretty good& important) on his R.O system.

So for a fairly good R.O system will be £300-£500 (+£ booster pump if your water pressure is below 35psi in my opinion)

Di vessel= £50.00

Bag of resin= £70.00 (which lasts me 12 months and I use 1500L a week on average)

Then £50-£100+ a year on filters for R.O

long, long term you'll be better off making your water just for the sake of traveling out of your way etc, but have you thought about rain harvesting? Is it possible on your property?

You have to weigh it up 2.5 p a litre isn't that bad.

We have a unit near me that sells for 5p a litre a so a 400 litre tank cost £20 a fill use that amount a day and your soon paying the price of a small mortgage a month on water.

I have a 40/40 static unit with booster in my garage I am on a metre and having only just installed the unit this year I am still waiting on my first bill but it will still be cheaper than buying it in for me and a lot more convenient.

I estimate the price of a cubic metre of water including sewage costs of my water company to be around £4 - £4.50 my system will roughly use 3000 litre to make a 1000 of pure so the price of water will be around £13.50 factor in filters and resin and it probably cost me £16-£18 to make a 1000 litres of pure if I was to buy a 1000 litres of my old supplier it would be £50.

It was a no brainier for me it worked out massively cheaper and a lot more convenient.

Keeping on top of maintance like back flushing,changing pre filters regular etc isn't hard and it is important to look after it.

wondered if any of you guys could let me know idea of cost setting up to make own water..at the moment due to getting busier to near maxed out, I am currently buying in approx 1500ltrs-1700ltrs+ a week from local place near me at a cost of £2.50 per 100 ltrs so roughly £40 a week.

I live in essex which I believe is hard water area I think tds is around 270 on tap water.

also I am on a water meter which probably don't help. and bill for my home water currently is around £40mth for water coming in and £40 for waste.

how fast do you go through your resin and filters and cost of these also...

wear I get water from i don't really do a lot around that area as my customer Base is in other towns.. so have fuel to factor in to price as well probably around £10 diesel for 2 trips a week as I hold 850ltrs in my van.

am I better off carrying on this way as I have done since starting...

also heard making own water not as straight forward as you think...

I know the water I buy is guaranteed tds 0000 every time...and I never had any complaints of spotting etc...

basically is it worth it....

thanks for any advice guys.

Where about is your work Jay I'm sure someone mentioned on here before that Basildon or local to Basildon sold pure water.

I used to buy my water from the same place as cgh window cleaning but it became expensive to do..just after i stopped he put his prices up from 4p to 5p a litre which makes a big difference..i know a penny doesn't sound a lot but that is a 25% difference in your water bill

Got an ro and stuff for a couple hundred quid and use 3 water butts joined to store my water

Not on a meter here so i only pay the cost of resin which i reckon will be about a year from 1 bag and odds n sods like filters

Makes a big difference from being on a meter

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a place in horndon also I used to go to can't think of the name of it but exp Ltd are a good price and I think that have 3 or 4 ibc tanks on the go all the time

Thank God we don't pay for water. I wouldn't entertain wfp with them sort of bills. I'd be tradding all the way

"Ryan O'Grady said:
He had his 4 monthly water bill in about 2 weeks ago, it was £600!! For 4 months!
Do the math - you say this mate is using about 1500L per week x 4 weeks = 6000 litres x 4 months = 24000 litres so £600 / 24000 = £0.025 per litre.

I can easily do 25 houses (standard semi types) off of my 500L tank - so 50 houses per 1000L = 1200 houses per 2400 litres.

1200 houses (even if your mean average is say £12 per house) is £14'400 and you seem surprised that the water board want £600 of this?

Sorry lads but for me I don't even think of the water any more as I had it calculated (by severn trent) that to produce 1000L of pure (and 1/1 on the RO so 2000L total) cost me £4.86 per 1000L. That 1000L at a mean average of £12 per clean is £600 so I am happy with a mere £595.34p per 1000L on top.

Hope the math helps.

Do the math - you say this mate is using about 1500L per week x 4 weeks = 6000 litres x 4 months = 24000 litres so £600 / 24000 = £0.025 per litre.
I can easily do 25 houses (standard semi types) off of my 500L tank - so 50 houses per 1000L = 1200 houses per 2400 litres.

1200 houses (even if your mean average is say £12 per house) is £14'400 and you seem surprised that the water board want £600 of this?

Sorry lads but for me I don't even think of the water any more as I had it calculated (by severn trent) that to produce 1000L of pure (and 1/1 on the RO so 2000L total) cost me £4.86 per 1000L. That 1000L at a mean average of £12 per clean is £600 so I am happy with a mere £595.34p per 1000L on top.

Hope the math helps.
Unfortunately green you wouldn't be left with that much.

It would only be £595.14.

of thays right for amount of water he producing and his bill was £600 for 4 months surely it's cheaper the way I'm doing and buying it in isn't it ?? perhaps I'm better ringing my water board and giving them calculations of how much water I use to how much they think it will cost me..to make a accurate calculation

we use 3000 liters aday i too looked at buying it from the same place as the others on here , but the guys a total jocky and every thing he sells is cheap rubbish and top prices so i just make my own

my trusty merlin 720 that's turned on 24/7 and does me well hoe ever i am ringing gaps water on Monday as i will need more water soon so it looks like a full new 40/40 set up i worked out it would cost me 80 pounds aday to buy water and its getting it when i needed it so making your own is the way forward

Hope the math helps.

I agree.

The OP needs to find out how much his local water authority charges for water.

I'm not on a meter but I could easily get an idea of what my costs would be.

Here is the website of Northumbrian Water (see metered charges).

Northumbrian Water - Tariffs and charges

In our instance we use approx 75,000 liters of water over a 4 months period using the r/o. I know this as we have a water meter on the r/o system. That includes both waste and pure at 50/50 ratio.

The water charges are made up of 2 parts;

• a fixed charge

• a charge for the amount we use, measured in cubic metres (m³). A cubic metre is 1,000 litres or 220 gallons.

For water you pay:

A fixed charge of £42.10 + A charge of 121.05p per cubic metre

For sewerage you pay:

A fixed charge of £88.00* + A charge of 116.39p per cubic metre

* This charge is reduced to £33.35 if you are not connected for surface water drainage.

In the worst case scenario you are going to pay 237.44p per cubic meter (1000 litres) or £2.3744 per cubic meter.

Over 4 months we use 75,000 litres (waste + pure.) That will cost us £178.08 to produce the water we need to clean windows. £178.08 / 4 = £44.52 per month.

I doubt we would even be considered for a sewage water rebate. We live on the coast and our surface water off the roof all goes into the main sewage system. It could be worth a go if I lived inland as the sewage has to be treated before it gets put back into the stream/river/water course.

I haven't included the standing charge per year as you would have to pay that on your household water bill anyway.

On a meter you will need to add an addition sub meter so you can claim sewage rebate (if applicable) and business expenses against tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
i,m using RO but when you are using large volumes of water there must be away to use the waste water back into the system

i,m not on a meter but so much waste going down the drain is not the best

we use 3000 liters aday i too looked at buying it from the same place as the others on here , but the guys a total jocky and every thing he sells is cheap rubbish and top prices so i just make my own
my trusty merlin 720 that's turned on 24/7 and does me well hoe ever i am ringing gaps water on Monday as i will need more water soon so it looks like a full new 40/40 set up i worked out it would cost me 80 pounds aday to buy water and its getting it when i needed it so making your own is the way forward
3000l is that your waste also

Back