Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Microbore vs minibore

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@spruce wjat I mean is, if I use 6mm microbore, I'm concerned I'll get lots of after 'dribble' when I click the one shot, cos the 6mm hose is surely gonna be more pressureised than 8mm minibore I currently use,
Also, I'm a bit confused as to weather or not the 6mm will reduce flow, and will it mean I need to up the flow on the controller? I don't want to lose flow, as o already run high flow, and want it to remain high,

One of the reasons I went for 3mm jets is so i get maximum flow for rinsing, I don't want that to be compromised by the 6mm hose spruce? I've heard conflicting results, some say it makes no difference, but some say it reduces flow....

@Jake I don't know the answer to your question as I have never used microbore.

The boys from Aquadapter were experimenting with smaller diamt pole hose a few years ago.

I found this correspondence from June 2102 from Aquadapter that you may find interesting (albeit a smaller length of pole hose);

We have done some testing with it, however, we would also like some confidential feedback from more users before it goes on general sale. It is of the same materials and specification as our dark red hose (which some of you tested for us, thanks) but is 6mm Outside Diameter and 4mm Inside Diameter* (current hose 8mm ID/5.5mm ID).

Flow Controllers

These should work with a smaller bore hose with little issue.

You will need to recalibrate the controller DE setting after fitting the smaller bore hose.

Turn the flow rate down (see Pumps).

If possible, avoid any extra angle fittings on the hose which will increase pressure. Ideally there

should be a straight run from the pump to the Aqua-dapter / Brush Head.

Please let us know before using the hose with a Williamson Varistream.

Pumps

It is to be expected that a smaller bore hose will increase the pressure in a system giving a faster

jet at the brush head but reducing the speed of the pump.

In theory the pump works at a lower speed to generate the same flow at the brush (hence the

note above about turning down the flow rate on the controller).

Where no controller is used the effect of the smaller bore hose may be to increase the pressure in

the system. With the pump working 'flat out' the effect of temperature and hose wall expansion

(see below) could put additional strain on the pump as it has to work harder to generate the

pressure and force the slow moving water.

Hose Wall Expansion / Ambient Air Temperature

Hose wall expansion can be dependant on the stiffness of the hose wall. A soft hose wall would

expand a lot so slowly building pressure whereas a hard wall (as our hose is) will build pressure

quickly. With a soft hose wall the water could take slightly longer to begin flowing.

Ambient temperature effects hose wall expansion and the viscosity of the water.

Cold water, near or at 0°C, flows more slowly than warm. Lower temperatures also effect hose

wall expansion rate as a cold hose expands more slowly. Our hoses should be more consistent in

warm and cold weather (or warm/cold water) due to the construction and materials used so,

although any hose will be affected to a certain extent, on our hose the effect should be minimal.

When using a flow controller re-setting the DE calibration should take care of both these effects.

Because I use a Varistream I was excluded from the test experiment.

In the early days when suppliers first started offering minbore and microbore hoses in place of 1/2" garden hose, Williamson pumps wouldn't guarantee their Shurflo pumps if we used those sizes. They said it created extra strain on the pump - they should know. We chose to go the minibore route as the hose wasn't as small as microbore and still easier to manage. I decided that we would bear the cost of our own pump failures as using minibore was a major step forward.

Alex Gardiner didn't rate Shurflo and sold Flojet which he maintained was a better pump. He believed that Microbore was the way to go from what i remember. With experience we never had issues with pump failure, only with pressure switch failure. The analogue controllers Varistream first introduced solved that problem and allowed us to regulate our water flow. I maybe wrong, but I don't think at one time Alex used to use a flow controller, so found the microbore restriction gave a good flow rate at the brush head which he was comfortable with.

Again, I maybe wrong, but Alex was never an advocator of 3mm jet sizes, he always recommended 2mm.

@spruce sinve I've used 3mm jets my work has sped up incredibly, the flow rate is better, the cascade effect on rinsing is soooo much better, I would 100% recommend 3mm jets,

But my issue is will the 6mm microbire be that bit too narrow to really produce enough volume of water... Difficult to know!

Mate I'm too impatient to be messing about with a trickle of water /emoticons/biggrin.png

I like it fast, it's so much quicker to rinse !

Have a look at this @Jake.

http://www.flourmilling.co.uk/water.html

I realise its steel pipe but I see the flow rate difference between 6 or 8mm bore steel pipe is considerable. 6mm 0.022 as opposed to 0.056 liters per sec 8mm. So a 6mm tube will only allow 1/2 the volume of water at 4 bar. Our hose coiled up around a hose reel will probably reduce those figures a bit.

Now all I need is a powerup, but annoyingly Jordan recommends 6mm hose as it has less chance of overlapping the reel...

Now all I need is a powerup, but annoyingly Jordan recommends 6mm hose as it has less chance of overlapping the reel...
That stopped my buying one as well tbh.

However, if you head into the warm water realm, then the 6mm bore hose should be enough as the water is thinner.

http://www.frca.co.uk/Documents/100308%20Physics%20of%20flowLR.pdf
Interesting read these 7 pages.

Look at the difference between Laminar flow and Turbulent flow. Once fluid in a tube reaches a certain speed it become turbulent. Once it becomes turbulent it requires 4 times the amount of pressure to double the flow rate. Fluid through hose coiled on hose reels won't be Laminar in flow but turbulent.
Looking at apps to translate this into English;)

Looking at apps to translate this into English;)
I read once that water flowing through a hose is much like water flowing in a river. It flows fastest in the center but behaves differently as it gets closer to the banks. It get slower the closer it gets to the side and curls in loops and may even be stationary in places. The shape of the river bank causes this turbulence at the edges.

What I found amazing is that this turbulence actually causes friction between the water 'streams' moving at different flow rates with the hose.

Friction causes heat - is this a form of cavitation heater?

[media]

[/media]

I read once that water flowing through a hose is much like water flowing in a river. It flows fastest in the center but behaves differently as it gets closer to the banks. It get slower the closer it gets to the side and curls in loops and may even be stationary in places. The shape of the river bank causes this turbulence at the edges.
What I found amazing is that this turbulence actually causes friction between the water 'streams' moving at different flow rates with the hose.

Friction causes heat - is this a form of cavitation heater?

[media]

Might get one fitted in my van :eek:

I think the best way to know whats best for you is to try it out for yourself. I know its a pain paying out £50/£60 but you will have had the experience of using 6mm hose.

It's not going to ruin your pump or anything, and I think you may be pleasantly surprised /emoticons/smile.png

I was using 30m of 6mm hose connected to 35foot of 5mm pole hose and the pump on lowest setting was a trickle

Now i am using jimmyboots method of rectus 21 connected to pole hose inside the pole the 5mm hose is only a few feet and the 6mm connects direct to that and my flow has practically doubled on lowest setting

Weird as it is still going through a few feet of 5mm but obviously makes a big difference from pushing water through 35 foot of 5mm so i reckon it must put more pressure on the pump to push through smaller diameter hose

I was using 30m of 6mm hose connected to 35foot of 5mm pole hose and the pump on lowest setting was a trickleNow i am using jimmyboots method of rectus 21 connected to pole hose inside the pole the 5mm hose is only a few feet and the 6mm connects direct to that and my flow has practically doubled on lowest setting

Weird as it is still going through a few feet of 5mm but obviously makes a big difference from pushing water through 35 foot of 5mm so i reckon it must put more pressure on the pump to push through smaller diameter hose
Yeah I think that's probably true Dave, I'm sticking with 8mm for now...

6mm is a big improvement from 5mm but how big do you need to go before it makes very little difference?

It may not effect it much Jake

6mm is a big improvement from 5mm but how big do you need to go before it makes very little difference?It may not effect it much Jake
I reckon 100metres of 6 will put a lot more stress on my pump than my 100m of 8mm Dave

Back