insulating van

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by steve hawing, Sep 25, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. steve hawing

steve hawing Active Member

do many of you insulate the van at all? or whats best way to keep the whole system freezing up? i dont really wanna leave a heater going all night for safety and cost

last thing i need to wake up to a frozen system in van with parts broke and that, i know it aint freezing yet but it aint far off

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Very low freezing point and at correct dilutions it will still allow your water to read zero ppm.

3. steve hawing

Just run that through the whole system and ya wont have any issues with freezing at all?

4. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I'm not offering any written guarantee :p but it has worked just fine for me.

5. spruce

spruce Grand Master

I have a Citroen Relay SWB and have never had a frozen van yet. I usually fill the van in the evening so we start with a tank of water that is at about 5 or 6 degrees. I have a large duvet which I have over the tank. As the pumps are mounted on the side of the tank they are covered as well. The duvet also covers the hose reels.

I put an 800 watt wall heater in the back which has a frostat set at about 2 degrees. I have no insulation in the roof (although I would like to do this), ply sides and bare metal floor. We have only had once time when we set out and the rear van ports froze up on the way to our first customer.
    We drove straight home again.

My son in law doesn't heat his van. He switches the water off at the tank, unscrews the pump filter and switches the pump on. It sucks in air and pushes the water out at his van port. Any remaining droplets freeze but aren't an issue.

We have only once had to spent time thawing the iced up tap and pipe to the pump's filter. We got water flowing in about 1/2 an hour. When its very cold, he takes his hose reel and pole inside.

6. steve hawing

Id rather be prepared than face the issues of stuff alll frozen up plus im sure it can damage the pump and wreck hoses etc

dont know what kind of insulation to even consider or is a heat sure a better option

7. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I whack an oil filled radiator in the back, I got caught out a couple of times last winter when I forgot to switch it on. I tend to have sleepless nights when the rad is turned on over night :confused:

8. steve hawing

does that not cost a small fortune to keep on all night?

9. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Even if it cost a tenner (probably no where near as much, but you get my drift) in electric and you could work all day it would have paid off. An electric bill of a tenner compared to whatever you earn in a day. No brainer, you just have to ride the winters out.

10. steve hawing

Oh i get that but 60 quid extra cost a week sounds a bit much, i dunno maybe not, do you end up with condesation all over the van?

Advertisement