Insurance!!! hehe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Ken, Jul 6, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Ken

Ken Guest

Ok guys here is the crack:

The ONE thing that confuses me the most in business is insurance, what do I need and what may I want.
    I'm UK based and comply with what I know, but as I am striving to expand my window cleaning into a wider market which (if things go ahead) will mean cleaning maybe supermarkets, hotels, and office buildings I am hoping someone who is a industrial/commercial/residential window cleaner can explain to me what different types of insurance I NEED, and also what health and safety courses would be advisable.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I sound stupid I hope you can understand my weird conversational type-style.

K.

:)

p.s the more comments the better, I really am hopeless when it comes to researching insurance.

Advertisement
  2. You deifnatley need public liability insurance usually at least 5 million worth in case you inadvertantly hurt a member of the public and if you employ anyone you need to have employers liability insurance incase one of your guys hurts themselves and decides to take you to court for damages, there are many companies out there that will do both however alot of them won't touch you until you have a minimum of 2 years experience, try simply business they do an all in one package and you can display a certificate of insurance on your website/facebook etc.

col :)

3. kars

kars Guest

im like you so i left it in the hands of my solicitor... got public and employers with one company. make sure ur covered for equipment left in ur van/car as well

4. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Even if you employ sub contractors who work for themselves it is well worth getting employers liability.

At the moment I have 2 x part timers on the books, but only have to have employers liability for one employee as they dont work at the same time. (Worth checking the wording of your policy though, as they all vary slightly)

5. I was an insurance broker for 22 years in Lloyd's of London so can help.

Firstly, one of the best companies that I know of for this online is called Hiscox. They are a Lloyd's insurer and are ussually helpful. (I have no connection at all).

You need a minimum of £1m of PL (Public Liability) ut if you are tendering commercial then dependant on who the firm is you may need up to £10M (check with each company). This will cover you if you damage others property.

You then need EL Employers Liability if you employ staff. If not then ignore.

Van insurance. be careful because if you have a tank in your van you must tell the insurer as they will almost always invalidate your cover if they find out after a claim as they class this as a modification.

I also take out tool insurance which covers my pumps etc (I had to specify each item.

PL cost roughly £13 per month per million pounds of cover.

EL - not sure as do not need it.

Van - bloody expensive

Tool - about £7 per month

6. kars

kars Guest

Lol... thats who im with and have to say between me and the solicitor they seem to have it pretty much covered :)

7. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Nice summary Window Washer - will have a look at Hiscox when renewal time comes round.

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

I think I used Hiscox

Advertisement