Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Internal window cleaning.

I charge an extra 10%-20% generally. If it’s regular. So for a £20 house I would charge £22 -£24   for the inside. Might be more if it’s a one off though.  
Helps if you can trad well though. 
If it’s Georgian or lead it will be a lot more, as I don’t like doing them. 

Ask them to clear the sills first too. 

It also gives you a chance to inspect the quality of you wfp work too??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to do them charge 1.5 to 2x exterior, you have to be so careful not to break anything or make a mess. Even if you ask them to move stuff there will always be something in the way. I don't usually do them.

I’m trying to get out of internal window cleaning. I’ve taken it off my invoice slips that I put though the door after I’ve cleaned which lists all the services I offer, I won’t get it written on my next van or cards either.

The only reason why I do it is so they don’t attempt themselves (if they’re old etc) or if I think they’d get someone else instead of me.

I did my first internal yesterday for the first time since September funny enough. And the September job was the first one since March last year. 2 a year is ok for me I suppose. 

Regarding charges, whatever you think really, if they’re not too bad, but obviously need doing, 25ish % extra of outside is ok for me So £25 for internals on a £20 external clean. If it’s absolutely filthy then I have charged double the outside. But even then it’s paid per hour less than external work.
But one thing I always ask, and do the same if you don’t, is ask before hand for them to to clear any sills, take off any net curtains/pull up any blinds etc. I Never used to, ended up dragging sofas, taking down curtains, moving chest of draws ??? lol 

What are the pros and cons of doing internal window cleaning and can you charge premium rates for doing so.? 
pros.....you might get a cuppa

cons.....the customer has to be home and you have to pre book the job in.....its easy to knock something over or break something when moving stuff/junk out of the way...you might get accused of stealing(it happened to me once!).....you ll probably get too hot and you ll be itching to get outside again(even if its cold outside!)......you could end up hearing ALL your customers life story.....georgian panes are just that(a pain to clean inside trad esp if you need a small ladder/step or trad pole to reach the top ones)...itll take you twice as long at least than the outsides as the customer will have more internal glass and will probably want extra work cleaned too like mirrors.....

dont offer to clean them or put it on your business cards/leaflets,etc as when you get busy with other outside work (you dont have to book in) you wont want to clean them!

I try to avoid, other than the odd pensioners kitchen window above a sink. And have been citing Covid as to avoiding them since lockdown. Indoors are simply a hassle.

I’m shocked by the answers here. 
I’d be literally 10s of £1000s down if I didn’t do internal cleaning. 
my biggest and most lucrative contract involves between 1-2hrs of internal squeegee work ever two weeks. It pays far better than any external domestic  I do. 

I also work for a property developer, where I do a full external and internal clean (not a builders clean) before each house  goes on the market. also a good payer.

I have 5 domestic customers where I do inside and out every month, plus   1 where a do a run of bifold doors. I like to keep my work compact so this works well , no traveling ,only one invoice for twice the work..

As for one offs I treat them like any other. Price it right and it’s fine. If I don’t like the look of it , I’ll decline or overprice. 

I must say, I haven’t been asked to do any extra internal work for ages now, I’m guessing that’s because of Covid. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started I was happy to do it as an extra revenue and did get a lot of people asking for it. I have always priced as double the outside so a 20 quid house becomes an extra 40 for the insides. But as I got busier I started turning them down cos it's so much easier to earn money with extra window cleans or even more so gutters etc. Covid has been the perfect excuse for me to say I'm not going in properties and I wont restart now except one massive place that I do a complete clean for once a year bit that only cos its financially well worth it. 

If I do it (which is rarely), I charge twice the outside price. If they're filthy and haven't been done in years i.e. mould build up, then I charge 3 or 4 times the exterior price.

i lost my only internal clean that i had left(a £70 job)a few years ago now....she was a pain and was often out when id pre booked it in so i was waiting around for her (after cleaning the outsides!)....i vowed to always refuse insides from then on.i cant be doing with them.....

when you ve been window cleaning for 28 years you learn what jobs you really dont want to do...insides and gutter clearing are the 2 i dont offer anymore and feel much better for it!i also dont take on any work that requires a ladder to access a flat roof anymore...im nearly 50 and still refining my work....i leave the awkward jobs to the younger lads!ive served my time!(17 years trad)?

I don’t mind doing insides. But most of my work is commercial so that often comes with insides. I’ve an old people’s home ( block of flats) that I do the inside of the public areas. Quite a few offices that are in and out. Also shops. Rarely do any domestics inside tho

..you could end up hearing ALL your customers life story
Why would ALL my customers be in that one house ??

I charge double, say exterior is $75 i would charge $150 for inside/out. 

Schedule becomes a pain after awhile on domestic interior work, commercial/shop fronts are a different story that work is simple and most want inside/outside. 

Pro for domestic interiors easy money at first. As @Part Timersaid its another revenue stream that's already built into your round all you have to do is turn on the tap and revenue stream flows $$/££ .

What are the pros and cons of doing internal window cleaning and can you charge premium rates for doing so.? 
You can't use a wfp haha 

It's all in the level of skill speed and standards 

Not every window sill is free from lots of cluttery crud and it's up to you if you want to take it on

I’m shocked by the answers here. 
I’d be literally 10s of £1000s down if I didn’t do internal cleaning. 
my biggest and most lucrative contract involves between 1-2hrs of internal squeegee work ever two weeks. It pays far better than any external domestic  I do. 

I also work for a property developer, where I do a full external and internal clean (not a builders clean) before each house  goes on the market. also a good payer.

I have 5 domestic customers where I do inside and out every month, plus   1 where a do a run of bifold doors. I like to keep my work compact so this works well , no traveling ,only one invoice for twice the work..

As for one offs I treat them like any other. Price it right and it’s fine. If I don’t like the look of it , I’ll decline or overprice. 

I must say, I haven’t been asked to do any extra internal work for ages now, I’m guessing that’s because of Covid. ?
And your not standing in the rain........

Latest Posts

Back