Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Introduction and progression

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Is it Richard or Sam you're dealing with? Be very careful what you put on the internet, especially potential customers asking for a quote. 

Just be honest and tell them you're a newbie but you'd very much appreciate the opportunity to quote when you're capable of doing so.
It's Donna 

Thanks for the advise 

Chris

If you price them right 1 clean could almost cover the cost of a basic trolley / backpack + pole set up and just buy the pure water from Spotless or similar company.

You don't need to spend a fortune on kit while you establish yourself and don't want to be turning down work unless you really have to.

Keep it basic and functional and you can get the tools to do the job and upgrade as you go when you can afford to. Customers don't care what brand of pole you're using or what it's made of, as long as it does the job, But if you want more and better jobs you've got to spend some money ......or get some big ladders and/or be good with a squeegee on a pole

I’m tempted to say Be Bold here. 

Price it well. If you get it you’ll be able to afford a basic wfp setup. If you don’t , then you’re lost nothing.  

I think he's right in turning it down, there are some windows , especially on the new build, that would be very awkward for an experienced WFP user, let alone a newbie. He's never used a WFP and people are advising him to buy cheap gear to do a window 35'ish high on an angle and others that you'd need to do with the pole virtually at shoulder height.

I think he's right in turning it down, there are some windows , especially on the new build, that would be very awkward for an experienced WFP user, let alone a newbie. He's never used a WFP and people are advising him to buy cheap gear to do a window 35'ish high on an angle and others that you'd need to do with the pole virtually at shoulder height.
I understand where you're coming from and I have a great deal of respect for what you have to say, and yes, these are very valid points you make ( I do hope that doesn't sound condescending because definitely not meant to).

But it's not every day where window cleaning is concerned that a job comes along that will in itself virtually pay for the cost of new  equipment. And the sort of kit the cost of which might otherwise be out of reach. When times are hard people haven't necessarily got a few hundred quid to spare. And as @Jaygtisays, "be bold". I agree. Seize the opportunity, invest in the business and practice with the new kit before using it professionally, and use tap water for practising while he gets the hang of it.

There's a first time for everything and sometimes you've just got to be as prepared as you can be then go out and do it.

I don't advocate people taking on work when they've got no idea how to do it but this is perfectly doable. A challenging job yes but not impossible at all.

Also I'm not advising cheap gear per se but being realistic and buying what you can afford. My point is that cheap poles/trolley's are available and will suffice to start with. Better, lighter poles can be bought at a later date but for now cheap and cheerful will be good enough - and if it can pay for itself straight away then go for it. He might not get such an opportunity again....and whoever has asked him to quote might have more work for him but they won't put it his way if he knocks them back. Be bold, I totally agree.

I understand where you're coming from and I have a great deal of respect for what you have to say, and yes, these are very valid points you make ( I do hope that doesn't sound condescending because definitely not meant to).

But it's not every day where window cleaning is concerned that a job comes along that will in itself virtually pay for the cost of new  equipment. And the sort of kit the cost of which might otherwise be out of reach. When times are hard people haven't necessarily got a few hundred quid to spare. And as @Jaygtisays, "be bold". I agree. Seize the opportunity, invest in the business and practice with the new kit before using it professionally, and use tap water for practising while he gets the hang of it.

There's a first time for everything and sometimes you've just got to be as prepared as you can be then go out and do it.

I don't advocate people taking on work when they've got no idea how to do it but this is perfectly doable. A challenging job yes but not impossible at all.

Also I'm not advising cheap gear per se but being realistic and buying what you can afford. My point is that cheap poles/trolley's are available and will suffice to start with. Better, lighter poles can be bought at a later date but for now cheap and cheerful will be good enough - and if it can pay for itself straight away then go for it. He might not get such an opportunity again....and whoever has asked him to quote might have more work for him but they won't put it his way if he knocks them back. Be bold, I totally agree.
There's not many more gung ho on here then me. I have just taken on a big national contract and haven't even seen half the sites. However I'm fairly experienced, and will make it work, the OP on a previous post, I think, said he'd only done 4 houses traditionally.

I think you'd need a 35' pole to do the old property and without checking would think that's circa £350 for a pole. You then have the technical aspect, the window on the side would be a beast for a SLX pole for someone like me, let alone a newbie. You then have the window in the alley above the door on the new build. I doubt you could get that even with the longest gooseneck you can buy, another £100. He's therefore into it for £600ish, without water costs, to do a job I'd think twice about.

If it was 4 blocks of flats at 35' with 40 flats in each block and straight up and down windows I'd be the loudest on here telling to go for it but this isn't  the right job for a new newbie to jump into.

There's not many more gung ho on here then me. I have just taken on a big national contract and haven't even seen half the sites. However I'm fairly experienced, and will make it work, the OP on a previous post, I think, said he'd only done 4 houses traditionally.

I think you'd need a 35' pole to do the old property and without checking would think that's circa £350 for a pole. You then have the technical aspect, the window on the side would be a beast for a SLX pole for someone like me, let alone a newbie. You then have the window in the alley above the door on the new build. I doubt you could get that even with the longest gooseneck you can buy, another £100. He's therefore into it for £600ish, without water costs, to do a job I'd think twice about.

If it was 4 blocks of flats at 35' with 40 flats in each block and straight up and down windows I'd be the loudest on here telling to go for it but this isn't  the right job for a new newbie to jump into.
This post got me to look again at the pictures and I have to say I agree I do think one or maybe two windows arnt doable from the ground , the job wouldn’t worry me as we are experienced in this type of thing but we do have all the kit needed to do the job but it’s not a job for someone inexperienced who has never used a pole using them at a shallow angle is hard work and takes some serious muscle power something that you build up over time ,light stiff poles would be needed for  some of those windows not some heavy cheap bendy  thing . 

I think tackling a job like that as a novice could put a new operator off for life. Especially with using trad but possibly even with wfp. Also, if the customer says they aren't happy with the result it could be very hard to satisfy them without the confidence and knowledge that only comes with experience. They may refuse to pay the full amount for the work done. Look hard enough and scrutinise a big job like that and I'm sure at least some imperfections could be found. Certainly in my work. I strive for excellence. I would not be able to achieve perfection, especially on a job of that size with so many complications. I'd start with manageable work and build on it but only the op can make the decision.

Good luck what ever the decision.

I think tackling a job like that as a novice could put a new operator off for life. Especially with using trad but possibly even with wfp. Also, if the customer says they aren't happy with the result it could be very hard to satisfy them without the confidence and knowledge that only comes with experience. They may refuse to pay the full amount for the work done. Look hard enough and scrutinise a big job like that and I'm sure at least some imperfections could be found. Certainly in my work. I strive for excellence. I would not be able to achieve perfection, especially on a job of that size with so many complications. I'd start with manageable work and build on it but only the op can make the decision.

Good luck what ever the decision.
To be fair as commercial work goes those two buildings are very small and would only take a maximum of around 3 hours to do allowing for the difficult windows , but I agree it would be better for someone who is experienced , I wouldn’t have wanted to jump in on theses when I first started , I suppose over the years you forget how daunting some jobs as you get more experienced, I remember doing this place for the first time with the pole 18 years ago I could only do one window at a time and had tk have a rest as my arms were not able to hold the pole for any longer now I di the whole building without stopping ???this is only a small section of it . 

798CA060-D9C6-49AE-B926-DCCC8879A155.jpeg

941DA40F-9CFE-4905-BC6C-20C9412CBC64.jpeg

7736970C-9603-4ADB-B2B0-9E63D3210F52.jpeg

To be fair as commercial work goes those two buildings are very small and would only take a maximum of around 3 hours to do allowing for the difficult windows , but I agree it would be better for someone who is experienced , I wouldn’t have wanted to jump in on theses when I first started , I suppose over the years you forget how daunting some jobs as you get more experienced, I remember doing this place for the first time with the pole 18 years ago I could only do one window at a time and had tk have a rest as my arms were not able to hold the pole for any longer now I di the whole building without stopping ???this is only a small section of it . 

View attachment 24643

View attachment 24644

View attachment 24645
I think I might have said before "I feel sick just looking at it!" ??

Part timer you seem to know who’s in charge of the buildings and are flat out saying turn it down ? 
I’d take that on you’ll learn a lot by doing by doing it. Add 25% on the time cus you will have some problems along the way

I’ve done some buildings similar ish when starting traditionally and daunting as they are they’re learning curves and character building 

I would invest in wfp knowing what I know now as it’ll take half the time and work

If you explain you have to miss 2/3 windows for a few months till you get the appropriate kit to do them it won’t make that much of a difference and you’ll get the job 

anyway isnt it illegal to clean 3 storey from a ladder as that’s what I’ve been told for a few years now 

Part timer you seem to know who’s in charge of the buildings and are flat out saying turn it down ? 
I’d take that on you’ll learn a lot by doing by doing it. Add 25% on the time cus you will have some problems along the way

I’ve done some buildings similar ish when starting traditionally and daunting as they are they’re learning curves and character building 

I would invest in wfp knowing what I know now as it’ll take half the time and work

If you explain you have to miss 2/3 windows for a few months till you get the appropriate kit to do them it won’t make that much of a difference and you’ll get the job 

anyway isnt it illegal to clean 3 storey from a ladder as that’s what I’ve been told for a few years now 
It's up to you what work you take on, all I'm saying is this job is a very hard job for someone that's been doing the job for a few years, let alone someone that's never picked a pole up and in my opinion the OP is correct in turning it down. He doesn't  even know if he's going to continue being a window cleaner.

Going to a commercial customer and saying I cant do those windows but if I save up for a few months I will be able to would make it highly unlikely you'd get the job.

It's up to you what work you take on, all I'm saying is this job is a very hard job for someone that's been doing the job for a few years, let alone someone that's never picked a pole up and in my opinion the OP is correct in turning it down. He doesn't  even know if he's going to continue being a window cleaner.

Going to a commercial customer and saying I cant do those windows but if I save up for a few months I will be able to would make it highly unlikely you'd get the job.
And all I’m saying is he’ll learn from doing it. If he starts it and feels he’s out of his depth and has to walk away so be it

I’ve done a lot of commercial when trad and starting out and awkward windows being missed haven’t caused an issue ever. They want they’re windows cleaned to keep up an image they don’t care if the side 3 storey window that faces another big building isn’t cleaned as it’s rarely looked at

I have commercial jobs as regularly as today which was a pub that said don’t worry about them windows above the gazebos if they’re too awkward, I missed one but did the rest I said I’d do what I can, she didn’t ask if I could do them after that shows how bothered they are 

Back on point here’s what I’d do

Forget trad for this job

depending on your location buy a second hand system or get your water from a pure water outlet. I’ve been offered systems second hand for dirt cheap when people want rid. If you plan on continuing with windows think about researching and spending more on your pole 

Or buy second hand pole and reel pump battery . Read up on diy systems it isn’t hard . Can be bought for peanuts if you search hard enough. 
bar that high window on old building which id still suggest leaving, a 22/25foot pole will do the rest possibly needing stepladder can’t tell exactly 

second hand tank  around 100 quid or use 25litres drums which can be sourced for a few quid each if you search hard 

all in depending on if you need an ro etc looking at few hundred quid this job will pay for it in 2 cleans easily 

If you don’t want to keep doing it you can sell it for pretty much the same if you bought thriftily 

That’s what I’d do with hindsight?

Back on point here’s what I’d do

Forget trad for this job

depending on your location buy a second hand system or get your water from a pure water outlet. I’ve been offered systems second hand for dirt cheap when people want rid. If you plan on continuing with windows think about researching and spending more on your pole 

Or buy second hand pole and reel pump battery . Read up on diy systems it isn’t hard . Can be bought for peanuts if you search hard enough. 
bar that high window on old building which id still suggest leaving, a 22/25foot pole will do the rest possibly needing stepladder can’t tell exactly 

second hand tank  around 100 quid or use 25litres drums which can be sourced for a few quid each if you search hard 

all in depending on if you need an ro etc looking at few hundred quid this job will pay for it in 2 cleans easily 

If you don’t want to keep doing it you can sell it for pretty much the same if you bought thriftily 

That’s what I’d do with hindsight?
Lol with respect you cannot just buy a system and turn up and do a job like that never having used a pole before , I doubt the op would Evan get the brush on some of those windows , you need experience on easy stuff first 

So I decided to not take on the job and politely declined to quote. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on this job yet.

I has got me researching wfp a little more and the idea of a backpack. However I can't seem to find any pure water supply near me as yet. But I have been in contact with a company who may soon have a pure water supply on my doorstep.

So I decided to not take on the job and politely declined to quote. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on this job yet.

I has got me researching wfp a little more and the idea of a backpack. However I can't seem to find any pure water supply near me as yet. But I have been in contact with a company who may soon have a pure water supply on my doorstep.
Probably a wise decision unless you could do it with another cleaner who has the kit and experience, how ever don’t let this put you off get wfp then do a load of houses and get some experience using the pole it’s not difficult but like a lot of things an experienced person will make it look easy doing stuff at awkward angles takes a lot of strength and can cause back arm shoulder and Evan leg strain so you do need tk build up to jobs like this , you use a totally different set of muscles wfp to trad , you will find over 6 months wfp what ever Coller size you are it will increase by 1:5 inches maybe more as you develop more strength in your shoulders and neck  

Last edited by a moderator:

If that company is Spotless Water I wouldn't hold your breath, I've been waiting for one to open "soon" in Cambridge. 

been a while. 

I've quit my full time job and started to focus on the window cleaning. I've got 32 customers without doing a leaflet drop or any canvassing, found the app nextdoor really job as people love a local small business. I'm enjoying being out on my own books are ok to manage at the moment, will look at using an electronic system in the near future. customers are ranging from £8 - £90 per clean averaging £18 per clean.

I've been asked to quote on a bungalow which has a conservatory, the roof has an apex and i have no idea how i would get behind to clean (pics below) customer wouldn't want me standing on the roof. (also i'm still purely trad) an ideas would be very welcome.

Chris

conny 1.jpg

conny 2.jpg

Back