Inventing a WFP cantilever

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by window washer, Jul 13, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. I have been giving an idea some thought for a while now.

When cleaning 1st floor windows and higher, ussually above conservatories or hard to reach places, sometimes I am holding 20 odd foot of pole exended outwards as well us upwards which causes a massive strain on the neck and back if there is nothing to rest the ploe on.
    I have been wondering whether anyone has made a type of cantilever for their pole. I suppose I am thinking of a metal pole which extends which would need some sort of base to keep the metal pole upright. At the tope of the pole would need to be a clamp (to hold the pole) probably on a ball joint. You could then place your WFP in the clamp halfway and then direct the pole without any strain or without causing any damage to property.

I am pretty sure Flipfast will get this but wondered if anyone has come accross anything similar.

Advertisement
  2. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Hi window washer,
    Do you mean something like this:
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Aircraft_alloy_water_fed_pole.html

(Last item at bottom of page)

Looks really good - been meaning to get one for a while now, but the price is a bit prohibitive.

Will give it some serious thought.

Thinking of something like a washing line prop.

dave

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

you would need to use a universal ball joint similar to this http://www.h2o-sports.co.uk/item.asp?P_ID=388&PT_ID=206&name=Pro-limit-windsurfing-UJ-Deck-Plate
    or fishing pole rest but maybe best investing the lightest equipment you can afford as weight and stiffness is a big factor in causing strain to the body when reaching out at awkward angles.

4. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

I have a carbon fibre modular pole, but it's not so much the weight, but the control that I want to assist.

Fair point about the weight, but I have a few properties that have 20ft extensions that are a real pain.

I was thinking more along the lines of how you use a cue rest when playing snooker - to save over reaching.

Dave

5. And I thought it was just me that pops the veins out of my neck with those huge extensions/ conservatories.
    That pole from Cleaning spot is a ridiculous price.
    In basic terms how about an umbrella weight (like those plasticthings or ornate metal ones) with a lightweight ali pole and a universal all joint.
    The reality is though it needs to be compact and light as it is another thing to clogg up the van!!!
    Worth some thought though.

Advertisement