Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi All New Boy From The Isle Of Wight!

Gushysfella

Hi all, new to site joined a few days ago so I could read some of your posts and get a feel for how you chaps get on and from what I see you a good bunch of lads!

Bit about me………..well I fell into window cleaning, traditional, with my current job. I’m a maintenance man and a part of my job is organising contractors, one problem I had was finding a good window cleaner! So bought a starter kit and started doing it myself. Then after a while started doing my own windows at home as I realised how much better I could do windows with a mop and squeegee than a spray and have slowly been asked by all the people in our cul-de-sack to do there’s. After having a good look around there just isn’t a window cleaner in our area so done a quick leaflet drop and in two months I got 103 homes asking me to clean their windows!!

Question, I can make more money window cleaning then my full time job, and I’ve worked before for myself so I know the pit falls and some people may think I’m mad leaving a good job in the current climate to start out a new business on my own but it’s a bit of a no brainer with little or no competition……..I'm going traditional as more bungalows then houses in my area so height not an issue but kit, can anyone tell me from their professional opinion, is there a better brand, type of squeegee and mops? Speed not an issue it takes as long as it takes, I want to offer the best service I can so want the best kit I can get but looking at whole sales web sites all the right ups make every make sound the best!!

Any help really appreciated many thanks /emoticons/biggrin.png

Welcome buddy. Sounds like you've made a great start.

IMO I like the Unger Ergo Tech range. Very good quality and you can get the applicators and blades in a good variety of sizes. /emoticons/smile.png

Sounds good looks like your going to be very successfull..... Unger is the top brand i believe.

Welcome to the forum mate, what a lovely place to live in the isle of wright i worked in wotton about 20 years ago loved it .I think you cant beat unger

Hi all, thanks for your very quick replies lol

Unger starter kit is what I am using at present, but on a need to know basses with the boss!! Get on really well with it so I’ll stick with it thanks lads!

Suppose the next question should be 103 houses in 2 months, is it because I’m too cheap? Been asking a pound a window, including plastics and just as a keep in with the customer quick wipe down of the front door, just as I ring the bell for the cash!! To cheap or going rate?

Welcome mate, Unger definitely although I'm tempted by sorbo for my next lot and a quid a window sounds fair.

U wont be cheap... im cheap for wfp my average job price is 7 quid ! and thats very cheap ! but enough to survive /emoticons/tongue.png

U wont be cheap... im cheap for wfp my average job price is 7 quid ! and thats very cheap ! but enough to survive /emoticons/tongue.png
I really wish I could swap places with some of you, My prices are way low. In my village price for a house is about 3.00/3.60 for a house. If I leave the vilage prices are about 4.00.5.00 for council house. I can still make 20+ per hour. Imagine if my prices were at some of the prices yo guys are at, Id be rolling in it lol

yeha but mk your trad mate /emoticons/smile.png u got no overheads /emoticons/smile.png so not to much to worry about plus 20+ is great... i average about £15.00 per hour mate

I really wish I could swap places with some of you, My prices are way low. In my village price for a house is about 3.00/3.60 for a house. If I leave the vilage prices are about 4.00.5.00 for council house. I can still make 20+ per hour. Imagine if my prices were at some of the prices yo guys are at, Id be rolling in it lol
Crikey I thought I had to price low Marc, my minimum is £6 now although the ones I already got at £5 I'll put up next year and I try for £7-10 now depending on weather they got a connie or not.

yeha but mk your trad mate /emoticons/smile.png u got no overheads /emoticons/smile.png so not to much to worry about plus 20+ is great... i average about £15.00 per hour mate
Not all of it is 20+ but a good part of it is

Crikey I thought I had to price low Marc, my minimum is £6 now although the ones I already got at £5 I'll put up next year and I try for £7-10 now depending on weather they got a connie or not.
Theres no way I could do that, lol. To many cowboys about here.

Hi and welcome.

103 customers in 2 months is excellent! Well done!

If you are happy with what you are earning and the customers are happy to pay what you ask I would say you have got the balance right.

Best wishes,

John

Hi chaps thanks for the help and feed back reading all your posts I've realised I'm just really lucky to have no competition in the area! £1 a window average house paying £9 on the day of clean and picked up a further 6 houses this evening. But I'm going to need some ladders sooner or later, a frame ordered this evening but any better brands out there for second story??? Thanks again for all the comments GF

Back