is advertising on local papers waste of time?

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Amazin, Oct 13, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Amazin

Amazin Member

I been told that its completely waste of time. Its appealing to me because I know most people reading it will be locals but is it good for us? I don't know, what do you think?

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

We advertised in a local 'community magazine' earlier this year, it cost me £180 and they claimed they would deliver the magazine to 10'000 homes in my area.

I worked in print advertising in the early 90's and the rules are simple 1-2% response from a print advert is what you should expect. So I expected 100-200 potential leads.

I got 6! That's it!

I will let you translate that how you like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I've been in a parish mag three months, no enquiries.

4. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Had one enquiry, no work, from three shop front ads left for 2-3 months

5. Amazin

Amazin Member

I see, yeah other people also told me similar stuff. Thanks. I sometimes do wonder where people go when they want to find a window cleaner

6. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I think most people wait to see one on the street working. Try knocking around where you get one, or flyer if you can't face knocking hundreds of doors

7. Simply Business

Simply Business Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Out of interest Amazin have you ever seen an ad in a local paper and followed it up yourself? I suspect the answer is no...?

Interesting Jimroot, do you think this is still the most common way for customers? Over perhaps googling 'window cleaner in xxxx'?

8. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I guess it's dependent on area and the business approach, combined with the variying quality of the marketing material and opperators personality.

If I had to guess Simply Business it would be 50/50 being seen working and having a good Google SEO site. Having done little online but a lot of flyering, flyering is my preferred model as I know it works for me. I've got good flyers, and a poor unfindable website (currently). So that's a guess ultimately

I've found walk up 'self referrals' are fairly common and much appreciated, and they and flyer derived customers stick over canvassed ones who change their minds and drop out.

I've had walk up custom from people I've flyered previously and they dump the flyers! They must want to see some one at it rather than make contact with an unknown.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. noddy

noddy Well-Known Member

we have spent over 50k on free paper over the last 20 years , we use to have four credit card size ads going out every week in four different papers at 35/42 pounds each aweek let alone the half page deals we got

it was great for the first 20 years then died right off in 2008 / 2009 went two just two adds and in 2010 binned them off alltogather

save your money not worth it

• List
  10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Seems to be round this way people looking for a windy post on local facebook community pages
    Works well for me and Adams0211 who works in the same town who has a good round built from that and recommendations
    Maybe try that in your area and test the water

Advertisement