Is There A Mechanic On This Forum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by mark m, Feb 20, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mark m

mark m Hero

Some of you might know i am going to employ my son this year and so it does don't cost me to much straight away i was going spread the start up cost over a long period anyway i see this van on ebay and at the moment it is £2000 below price but it needs work if you are a mechanic would you stay away from this van how much do you think it would cost to fix etc it is 15 mile up the road from me but it does not make any difference looking at it as i know bugger all about mechanics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-VAN-/221191824009?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5734046385984673462%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D221191824009%26

Advertisement
  2. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

If it's the cambelt had gone then it will be a pricey job, might even need new engine.

3. David Taylor

David Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn`t buy it sounds like you be buying a problem to me...

4. David Taylor

David Taylor Well-Known Member

says in the add it turns over so it can`t be the timing belt, it would just be dead

5. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

Didn't read that far down, had to many things to replace and sort so i stopped reading

6. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

avoid, there is stupid little things wrong with it, it has been trashed, needs a new engine at least, could of been sold at an auction, as a non runner and then (possible dodgy) mot and then sold on,

the mileage is too spot on for what the van would of been used for 10 year old van with 120k on clock 12k a year, yet was owned by a facility company,

7. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

some vehicles, will still turn over when timing gone,

look at it this way, just mot a van 2 miles down road, dies, aint bothering to get it looked at, just sell it

8. harunh

harunh Legend

dont look at stuff like these get a reliable van with 1/2 owners :) then u no its been looked after

9. CNS-southwest

CNS-southwest Grand Master

hey ....i know my ford diesels and i can tell you right now its been driven through a puddle....sadly they designed these and the mondeos with the pickup for the air filter very low down, and water gets sucked up and causes the piston rod to bend.

These run on chains and ford state they should outlive the van and never be replaced.

With ford diesels also the timing can be slightly out and it will still run, just rough as poop.

i think it will need:
    A new Fan control unit thing (cant remeber the name of it but common on fords for the fan to only work on high/med
    A new glove box lid
    Radio is probably the wrong one for the van, you could stick an aftermarket one cheap enough
    the engine is gona need at least one new rod.... not majorly costly if you have a mate, otherwise labour might be heavy.

massive plus that its had a new diesel pump.

10. mark m

mark m Hero

What a shame I think you all might be right when you think of it why after just getting it mot and going 2 mile up the road why would you not check it out .It is a shame the connect is a great little van I us to own one and thought I might get one cheap for about £1500 that is what i am thinking of spending

Advertisement