Is There Enough Work Out There!

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by steclowe, Jun 8, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. steclowe

steclowe Newcomer

I know this is a hell of a question, but you guys and gals who are out there cleaning will have a better idea than me!

Is there enough work out there??

Do those of you with established rounds still pick up plenty of extra work?

The reason I ask is that I am currently trapped in the rat race, I am a wagon a driver and would love to be in control of my own destiny and really fancy working for myself as a window cleaner, traditional because of the expense to set up and people I've spoken to seem to prefer it over WFP.

The problem is that I do not have the time to build anything up in my spare time as the hours as a truck driver are ridiculous, so it would be a case of quitting the job and going for it but, as I am sure you can appreciate I am worried that there will not be the work out there as, like all of you I will still have bills to pay.
    I have no objection to hard work and am quite prepared to get out there and canvass for work.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

Well, firstly the work is there, more though as an established cleaner, as for those who are at the top of their game as concerns quality and cost, will always be popular.

The question I can see you're really trying to ask is, if I start up and go for it, will I get enough work soon!

And we can't know for sure, all you can do is plan as much as you can to make your business a success and if you do make the leap do as much canvassing etc while you're still employed so you have the most work possible to start with, and practice practice practice cleaning windows lol.

3. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

I think there will always be work out there! there are plenty of houses for everyone. You need to have the right attitude. But you need to be prepared for the truth... the first year is the hardest.... (and that is any business not just ours)

I worked 2 jobs for 12 months - 14 days straight and then had 1 Sunday off and back to 14 days straight last year.

1 and a half years later I have 302 customers. My database shows I have got 422 in total but dropped or lost them for one reason or another and I still have to refine my round, which will take me the rest of the year or more.

Its DAM hard work but the rewards are that I am my own boss and I start work at 8 and finish at 4 or whenever I feel.

Good luck

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Work is out there the trick is getting enough quality work to pay the bills. Most don't make the first year as is not as easy as ppl think or everyone would be at it.

5. steclowe

steclowe Newcomer

Thanks for your honest replies, much appreciated and inspiring!!!

6. norm

norm Grand Master

I bought part of a round 3 months ago to start.Bought trad. gear cleaned my own house windows over and over again.Watched loads of videos and info[great place here].Went out with a window cleaner who carried me on my round for first 6 weeks.Soon realised how little I knew but watched and learnt from him.Be careful if buying a part of round as you might get what is not wanted e.g. awkward houses, bad payers,lead windows I got them all but lovin this job but it aint been easy Good luck

7. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

There is work out there, there is always new houses getting built, new commercial premises, moving etc etc, but you have to go look for it.. You can't depend on the work coming to you.. The quickest and best way to build a round is knocking doors. A lot of people are scared, and prefer to drop flyers.. I wasted too much time and money posting flyers then waiting for phone calls, that rarely happen..

As mentioned above, a good business plan is needed.. Cleaning windows is easy, anyone could do it, but being self employed and succesfull is the hard bit.. I would recommend a book called "winning at window cleaning" ALOT of info in their to help you..

8. Masons

Masons Guru

^ Yes, winning a window cleaning is a valuable tool and one which is well worth the money.

9. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Do some reasech and find out where the new build are going and future new builds. Canvass them hard. If you can get the first few you are more than likely to pick up the rest as there getting built. Ive done it on a number of occasions.

10. HotWash Window Cleaners

Just get seen doing the best job possible as at first you will have no need to rush around.
    Eyes watch from every where when you clean windows.
    Every time I am out working I always pick up more houses as people watch what you do.
    Be the most thorough to the point of being over fussy. Check your work and remember that customer service is as important as the cleaning.
    Decent window cleaners are hard to find.

Advertisement