Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

MY WATER PRESSURE

this seems very low. Could i get a plumber to raise my water pressure coming into house, ive looked on youtube but dont seem to have a pressure regulator to practise on.

measured my pressure direct from my outside tap and its 65 psI, I can be easily correct but I think yours looks quite poor.

why not go and get a tap pressure gauge any plumbing centre will have them, screw it to your outside tap, turn on tap and thats your pressure.

this is taken with a 1/4 RO tubing, does it make any difference from 1/2 inch hosecant work out my exact pressure. can you
Pressure will be the same irrespective of pipe size. Its flow rate that makes a difference with hose size.

If that's at the tap then its low at just 25psi.( 1kg/cm2 = 1 bar = 14.2psi - all approx. The gauge is slightly below 2. Was there any other taps running when you took that reading, ie toilet filling up etc?)

(One of the water authorities down south suggests the 1 bar is enough pressure for household use.)

If you want a bigger r/o you need a higher pressure than that so you will need a booster pump.

Can you connect a 1/2" hose to one of the taps and fill a known size container with water with the cold tap fully open. You want to try to find out how much water (how many liters) your tap provides a minute with its pressure.

[media]

[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
ill contact a few plumbers to see if i can raise my home watr pressure, if its too much hasstle its a bigger booster pump.
They won't be able to help you. The problem is with Northumbrian Water. It could be that the pressure is low because that's their way of dealing with leaks. You need to contact the supplier and complain.

Have you checked you water inline valve maybe you I can turn the pressure up from there.

especially if im thinking about getting a 4040, i was hoping it would be aroundplumber said a booster pump is the only solution
You can still produce pure even without a booster pump etc via the 4040 method it will just take ages till fill a 1000L ibc if thats how your goin to do it i have a booster pump but sometime i just let it feed in without depends if i can be assed messing with my extension and stuff lol

this wouldnt be any quicker than i can do now with a 300 RO surelly. if just left on overnite or daily. it wouldnt go through a 4040 quicker , would it ? i dont know 100%

i will know if i get a 4040 RO, i will need a booster pump.

ive just emailed PureFreedom with my dielema to see what they can offer me. They seem to have more RO systems to offer.

You can change your household flow rate from your main household tap but not your pressure. You need a booster pump fitted to your RO. They're about the £100-130 mark I think.Search results for: 'booster pump'

Some people just don't understand the difference between flow and pressure and how they interrelate.

We found exactly the same in the air tool industry. 100psi was enough pressure to run everything. Then why do the need a big diesel engined compressor to run a jack hammer on?

A booster pump for a 4040 is around £320 - £360 including vat.

PureFreedom sell a nice looking booster pump, but the output pressure is manually adjusted via a by pass valve. The units Gardiners and Machine Mart sell are electronically controlled. As they are programmed to cut off at a certain pressure they are more user friendly. I like the idea of being able to manually regulate your pressure to what you want, but you need to know what you are doing.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd put up a link to a water genie booster pump although it doesn't have the by pass valve. It looked similar to the PureFreedom one but I don't know where he bought it from.

Demonstration of difference when using a booster pump to fill.

this wouldnt be any quicker than i can do now with a 300 RO surelly. if just left on overnite or daily. it wouldnt go through a 4040 quicker , would it ? i dont know 100%
I'm not sure me sen lol think it takes about 7 8hrs for a ibc to fill when I've my booster on running at 80psi it's around 4hrs to 4 and half.if I remember right

is there much difference in production from a 300 to a 450 RO , ATM I JUST NEED ENOUGH FOR A 1 MAN SETUP, , the odd day there will be 2 of us.
You already have the r/o with booster pump. What you need to sort out is storage. You don't have enough storage at the moment.

Once you have a decent backup supply of water you will have enough. If you don't have enough storage like now then you want a faster r/o to process water directly into your van tank and top up the water butts you have if you need a little more that day. Added to this is that you need to sort out a controller that will switch both your water supply and your r/o pump off at the same time when your storage tank is full.

Yes, replacing 100GPD membranes with 150GPD membranes will improve your situation. When a 300 GPD has processed 1 liter a 450GPD has processed 1 & 1/2 liters under identical situations. So theoretically its 50% faster.

Our 450 without a booster took around 28 hours to fill a 1000 litre storage tank which had around 200 liters in the bottom to start off with. (We had 200 liters left as the transfer pump couldn't completely empty the storage tank.) At that figure the r/o was producing about 28 liters of pure an hour.

Lets say that the storage tank was full and I drew 600 liters off on Monday morning. To fill the storage tank back up to full will take 21+1/2 hours. So if I filled up at 8.00 on Monday morning the storage tank will be full at 4.30am on Tuesday morning. If you did this though the week you would have enough water for the week.

If you decided to fill up on Sunday morning rather than Monday morning you will start the week with a full van and a full storage tank on Monday morning. But if you only used 500 liters a day once or twice a week then your storage tank would be full sooner.

You know roughly how much water you use a day. You also know the size of the tank in your van. You can also time how long it takes to fill a 1 liter container with pure. So using your figures you can easily work out where you would be each working day of the week using those figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked my pure sped today, 1 litre took 215 seconds. with my 300RO + booster pump on.

i know windies who just leave there RO on all day without a booster pump on. . i may try this. may get a 450 RO , see how i get on, you never know i may get lucky and see one for sale 4040 hf5, try it out then.

With all your help ive learned a lot about costs to upgrade, also helped a lot of thread watchers seeking advice hopefully

Back