Is this type of window much more time consuming?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Jimroot, Mar 15, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

image.jpg
    I'm going to quote where all the windows are this sort, many panels in sash wood frame. Plan to wfp top, but how much longer than upvc would they take by hand can anyone guess? And any hidden pitfalls to avoid? I've only done new style upvc to date.

The house I'm quoting has several windows twice or three times this size too. Ta

Advertisement
  2. Aqua-pure Portadown

Aqua-pure Portadown Active Member

Personally I would stay away ,they can be a real pane (no pun intended ) bad enough when pvc but timber frames if not in good nick can be a nightmare for WFP

3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Trad them with small applicator or end of big applicator and a 5-6 inch squeegee
    Then get balled up microfibre and rub over the glass instead of trying to detail the proper way and job done
    Couple of minutes per window if that size

4. cheapncheerful

#4 cheapncheerful, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    have you heard of scrim?:rofl:

a nice properly damp scrim...or spray and microfibre...dont have many these days..

used to have one house all georgian took me a day outside and a day inside...scary.

you do have to be careful as some of them type frames are not that strong..

anyway good luck and keep us informed..:D

and they dont take too long once you get into the swing of things.

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I wouldn't touch a window that antiquated without a liability waiver from the customer.

Even with insurance, one pane of glass £50, your insurance is always £200 + so you end could end up paying a fortune in replacing panes.

The pic you posted just looks like the frame is fooked. I would just say to them, sorry, not the job for us.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

try not to think about them, think about something else and hey presto you will be finished doin them before you know it

7. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I counted, 24 panes per big window x 2 plus door and small window front, haven't seen back yet.

They arnt exactly like my example pic, they might be better nic up close, will wait and see and discuss condition with the customer.

Glad I bought my 6" mop and squeegee !!

Thanks for replies btw it's all good, even 'avoid' (but I can't afford to follow that excellent advice;-))

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

For someone that don't like ladders much then I'm thinking will be a real challange to trad them.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

To trad them is no challenge..to trad them quickly but a good job is the challenge

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I can do a back door with 30 small panes in in about 3 minutes on a house i do
    It is all about having the right size tools for the job
    one hand is soaping a pane while one is squeegeeing the last one

Advertisement