Is your van worth what you're paying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Green Pro Clean Ltd, Dec 4, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Green Pro Clean Ltd

This thread is just for personal opinions not hard core fact.

Now we all know that a used van is only worth whatever you can get for it on the day but what is the true value of a new van?
    I will state that I have never yet bought (or leased) a new van I have only ever had the budget (means) to get used equipment.

Now a bit of browsing shows that most small large vans such as Transits, Vivaros, Trrafics in the SWB can be had fully loaded with all the goddies for around £20'000
    Over a finance period of 4 years (as long as you get a super good rate) then you are looking at less than £20 per day for a brand new wagon. Not only that but over this period you will most likely come away with free service, free warranty and a few other goodies like free road side assistance etc.
    Now at the end of this period you own the van free and clear, you will have some service costs and maintenance expenses but that's true of any vehicle.

At the end of this you own the motor outright, a quick search shows that a 4 year old good nick transit can fetch £6-£7K so you have lost £13K off the purchase. Should you keep it longer, lets say 10 years, you can still get £3K back for it in top nick so it will have ended up costing you £1700 per year over the decade (£141 per month for the life of the van)

Now the lease a new Transit can be had for just £250 per month, you get all the servicing etc thrown in as part of the bargain. You get a new motor every 4 years so your work motor always looks tip top.

Downside, you never actually own the vehicle and most of the contract limit you to 10'000 miles per year.

So to those lads driving swish new vans, do you recommend it, to buy or to lease? Do you think your choice was value for money and why?

Advertisement
  2. SPCleaning

SPCleaning Guru

I looked at leasing but if you drill holes in it (for tanks etc) then you get heavily penalised when you trade it back. Higher purchase appeared to be best because you do own it. If I went down this route I would trade in as soon as it was paid for. So you would be continually paying to ensure the best trade in price.

At the moment I will continue to use my 15 year old transit, but sooner or later I will have to change it.

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

^^ good post. I'd like a brand spanking new van but I'd wreck it. Another point is how would customers perceive it?

4. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

I would personally never lease a van
    Finance yes but I haven't even done that but would
    I always consider keeping one of the newer vans I get but and up selling on
    I like to keep it simples less overheads more profit!!!

5. Markyboy 50

Customers always think you're earning to much if u pull up in a new van. I always buy a 3 or 4 year old one outright and change it after 3 or so years

6. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

My customers must think I'm absolutely skint :rof:

7. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Green Pro Clean Ltd i say talk to the accountant now being a ltd he willl fill u in on the pros of hiring snd leasing i know a guy who runs a delivery business and all vans and lorries is leased

8. David K

David K Forum Addict

They Will consider you a true professional ! Not just another "one season guy" , sorry for my bad english . :whistle:

9. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Very interesting thread green as I am looking at new vans
    But I just seen a tidy old Dispatch for 2k which I think suits me better as I don't look after them
    At the end of the day you still earn same money as someone in a flash van

10. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

Why does having a van make you a true professional?do these new vans clean the windows to??lol

Advertisement