It was a most profound statement...........

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Green Pro Clean Ltd, Aug 25, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Green Pro Clean Ltd

It goes a little like this........

I am just starting a new van build so today I am my supplier collecting all the parts I had ordered (including my special order tank in GREEN :)) )

My supplier was very thin on staff today so as Adam was checking over my gear making sure all the nuts, bolts, bits n bobs were there another windy walks into the store.

He's perusing the WFP setups on display when he eyeballs my gear being piled up. (for the sake of clarity I would say this fellow is in hiss mid to late 50s)

We get to chatting and he says he is looking for a trolley system to get into WFP as he has been trad for last 30 years and then asks if I am just getting into WFP as he gestures towards my pile of goodies.

So I tell him no, I have been a windy for 10 years now and been WFP for the last 5, and that this is just a new build as I have sold my old one.

Now I was spending an easy £2k today which for some (myself included) is a lot of money but as we all know in the world of WFP and the price of some setups it really is nothing much.

What he says next really threw me and actually left me speechless.....

He said 'I been cleaning windows for 30 years, you only been doing it for 10 years and you can afford to buy a system like that?'

My mind was like WTF? Did he perhaps perceive me to be spending many times what I actually was or did he after 30 years of graft honestly think a £2k setup should be unaffordable to someone that has only been at it for 10 years?

Really messed with my head.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Advertisement
  2. Damo

Damo Guru

Reminds me of when a local cleaner asked if I still had my shitty old van and I said nope it's that new one over there. As I pulled away "don't stop believing" came on radio. Always makes me laugh.

I don't get the whole mentality of window cleaners. Some people bang on about £400 days yet can't afford £5 postage.

The problem with window cleaning is getting constant decent money day in and day out. I have managed to achieve my weekly and month to target for nearly 3 years now (sept16 is 3 years).

It's all to easy to have a decent Monday. Good Tuesday. Ok Wednesday. Ok ish Thursday. Half day Friday.

That's when 2k will seem a lot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. RapidRyan

RapidRyan Newcomer

As long as you have enough work you can justify the outlay of new equipment then it's not a problem. With WFP you have the chance to get more work done and take on more work = more money. So any extra equipment you buy literally pays for itself. I'm not bashing people who do trad I was one of them for 10 years. But my eyes were opened when I switched to WFP to the potential of what you can earn if you set your mind to building your business.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

4. Solarpanelcleanington

Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict

Surely the price of the new kit just goes into your quotes? That's how it works isn't it? And fuel and days off and all overheads?

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

The cost of the gear was rather irrelevant.

What hit me was here was someone with 20 years seniority on me and he seemed to think buying equipment was an extravagance rather than an investment

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. chris clean

chris clean Active Member

I know i may be generalising a bit here and I have no intention of offending anyone but this is from my own experience in my area. I have found since setting up that it is the guys who have been around for a long tume that have a chip on there shoulders about modern kit and also competition. There are loads of windies here but in no time thanks to loads of canvassing and advertising I've built up a really nice round and seeing good returns so far. There are other quite new set ups also doing real well and aknowledge u and chat basically the attitude is there's more than enough work to go round. The guys who have been onnit forever and tradding seem to have a real issue with newbies around. I like it and laugh to myself. Especially when I know of one in particular who charges about 5-7 quid a house and I know I'm doing one house wfp and he needs to do 3 or 4 on same road to earn same. As I say I know this is just what I have experienced and I know many are not atallespecially all the great guys on here who share there experience and that's what I hope if I do this job for 20 -30 years I will be like passing a bit of wisdom to the new guys not being bitter and twisted

7. Cghwindowcleaning

Cghwindowcleaning Well-Known Member

I have a newish van with good equipment and like green it amazes me that some people think you must have one the lottery.
    Some window cleaners don"t see it as investment.
    A new van and decent set up aren't a luxury their tools for the job.

The other ones that make me laugh which i'm seeing more of lately are the ones who say they won't get out of bed for less than £500 a day just picked up a £20k contract while standing next to a van worth about a tenner and then complaining about the cost of a new brush.

8. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

He probably hasn't put his prices up in 20 of his 30 years. Maybe that's why :confused:

9. CHWS

CHWS Forum Addict

I question what some people say they earn on here, I can't see how anyone would begrudge spending money on gear etc. Makes me think a lot of people are full off poo

10. chris clean

chris clean Active Member

I think there is a lot of bull about how much people earn not just on here but out and about. for me personally I am earning more doing this job at moment than any other job I have had being paid by others if not much more. But what it does give me is freedom to pick when I work and to be home every night and see the Mrs and kiss my child goodnight. That to me is the real good bit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Advertisement