Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ivy… Vile Stuff…..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Trev81

Well, had a good challenge yesterday with some old ivy that had literally become part of the Upvc window frames, even grown into the window seals, quite amazing just how bad this stuff sets in if left to do it's thing! The house was recently bought by a friend of mine who asked me if I could have a go at restoring them, think the last owner was a old chap who just left nature work it's magic as the place is in need of a mass of work inside and out, the worst windows were on the side of the garage and at the back. Spent about 90 minutes there yesterday and managed to get 3 windows and a door done, if anybody comes across this stuff, my method was to soak it all down with a strong UBIK solution and let it nearly soak in and dry, then just before it does soak it down with some water and a UPVC cleaner spray, then very gently blade the chucky bits off that started to sofen a bit and cut out the stuff in the seals as best as I could, then plenty of elbow grease with a sill cloth to get the rest off, then a scub with a medium/stiff brush and a final rinse with some hot pure. Buff up once nearly dry and think they came up quite good. Only took before pics of one window but they were all just as ming!

View attachment 4757

View attachment 4751

View attachment 4752

View attachment 4753

View attachment 4754

View attachment 4755

View attachment 4756

It's hard work for sure

When i had a job like that i soaked with strong flash solution several times

while doing 1 window i went back and soaked the others again

It eventually comes off but that is a job i would say is easier trad as had to scrape the fascias with a paint scraper while wet and soft

Tbf neither wfp/trad methods come into play on those type jobs, it's mostly a restoration jobby, once all off either style of final clean would suffice, quite satisfying to do mind, just takes quite a while to do, but far cheaper to the custy than replacing windows!

Awful stuff, got some affected windows on my regular cleans. Unless the customer tells me they want it removed and they're prepared to pay for half a days work the stuffs not coming off. It's their fault for growing the **** in the first place.

yep awful stuff..

used to have to remove some twice a year and got covered in sticky bits..yukky thankfully the custy got rid and alls well now.

very time consuming jobs like that which is why I do a runner..

lovely end job trev81 must make you proud at the end.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Back