Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

650 litre tank big enough

WCF

Help Support WCF:

In the early days both the lads had 500 liter tanks in their vans. There was the option of fitting 400 liter tanks but others experiences indicated that these were occasionally a tad too small for a days work . So a larger tank was fitted to account for any abnormal use.
For example; we have a large commercial job that comprises of one window after another. Its done once a year and we will empty a 500 liter tank a day with one operator as the pump is running most of the time. Last year we used about 900 liters a day for 5 days just working off my van.

So the size of tank fitted and where you work will have a profound effect on the amount of water you use a day. We find we use much more water when we clean windows on the coast than when we clean a little inland which is not directly effected by the salty sea spray. We also only have one IBC tank as storage so the lads couldn't fill their vans at the same time. A bigger tank gave us the option to be more flexible with fill times as they would have a little in reserve.

What I don't understand is why you think that cleaner is lying and then express it in expletives when you don't know who he is or why he said that. I personally don't think there is any need for that. If someone asked me for advise on what size tank they should fit, I would recommend the biggest they can. The model and payload of the van are important factors to consider. If the van will 'support' a 500 liter tank I will recommend that. There isn't much of a price difference between the cost of a 400 and 500 liter plastic Wyedale tank. So having a larger tank with a DIY fitted system makes sense to me.

If you have a van with a payload of 600kgs then you need to look at smaller tanks as a 500 liter tank will full will overload the van.

My son and I mainly work off my van these days @leeroy711. We don't work long hours due to my health and his responsibilities picking our grandson up from school. We probably use 350 to 400 liters a day on average between us.

There are several other 2 man teams that use 650 liters tanks in our area quite successfully. On occasion they may have to top up during the day, but they know which days these are.

The recommendation is to plan your route and then start at the furthest point and work back toward your water source. If you have to top up then it will be toward the end of the day so you won't have too far to travel back to base. If you pop home for lunch/coffee then take the opportunity to top the tank up.

As @luca says, tradding some windows will reduce your daily water usage. As in my cases, you cut you cloth accordingly as the saying goes.

I don't feel that comment needs justification as I stand by it, the fella he was talking about obviously had the same facts we did and to give advice to a guy just starting that one man does 500L a day (no mention of commercial) to me was absurd. I have commercial contracts where I send 6 guys 2000L and it's possible to run out out of water but to state that one man does 500L a day on residential EVERY day is a bit far fetched or can't be fun... my expletives just sounded better [emoji6][emoji1303]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

In the early days both the lads had 500 liter tanks in their vans. There was the option of fitting 400 liter tanks but others experiences indicated that these were occasionally a tad too small for a days work . So a larger tank was fitted to account for any abnormal use.
For example; we have a large commercial job that comprises of one window after another. Its done once a year and we will empty a 500 liter tank a day with one operator as the pump is running most of the time. Last year we used about 900 liters a day for 5 days just working off my van.

So the size of tank fitted and where you work will have a profound effect on the amount of water you use a day. We find we use much more water when we clean windows on the coast than when we clean a little inland which is not directly effected by the salty sea spray. We also only have one IBC tank as storage so the lads couldn't fill their vans at the same time. A bigger tank gave us the option to be more flexible with fill times as they would have a little in reserve.

What I don't understand is why you think that cleaner is lying and then express it in expletives when you don't know who he is or why he said that. I personally don't think there is any need for that. If someone asked me for advise on what size tank they should fit, I would recommend the biggest they can. The model and payload of the van are important factors to consider. If the van will 'support' a 500 liter tank I will recommend that. There isn't much of a price difference between the cost of a 400 and 500 liter plastic Wyedale tank. So having a larger tank with a DIY fitted system makes sense to me.

If you have a van with a payload of 600kgs then you need to look at smaller tanks as a 500 liter tank will full will overload the van.

My son and I mainly work off my van these days @leeroy711. We don't work long hours due to my health and his responsibilities picking our grandson up from school. We probably use 350 to 400 liters a day on average between us.

There are several other 2 man teams that use 650 liters tanks in our area quite successfully. On occasion they may have to top up during the day, but they know which days these are.

The recommendation is to plan your route and then start at the furthest point and work back toward your water source. If you have to top up then it will be toward the end of the day so you won't have too far to travel back to base. If you pop home for lunch/coffee then take the opportunity to top the tank up.

As @luca says, tradding some windows will reduce your daily water usage. As in my cases, you cut you cloth accordingly as the saying goes.

Thanks for that spruce, we live up it the North Yorkshire dales so our work is mostly villages as is the cleaner who Iv been talking to a bit lately so a bit of our time is in the van from village to village, witch is why I first thought 500L on his own was a lot. We have no big commercials here where you on the glass none stop.

Hey Lee, I've been in business 20 years this year an done all mostly by trad up til bout 8 years ago when got a static tank in me garage an did a few tops by trolley an pole. But changed fully over to van mounted Wfd system early last year, best thing I ever did mate!!! You will never look back, I'm telling ya. It's so much better and the results are amazing every time. Just remember bud it's all about the rinse an you won't go far wrong. Make that move soon an good luck m8 [emoji846][emoji106]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app[/quote

Thanks mate really looking forward it especially the thought of no more ladders!! My dad took some talking round as he's a bit old fashioned but got there in the end and I can tell he can't wait either now haha

Get a univalve not the trigger same price or less and it's inside the pole not stuck on the outside. It is possible for the other feller to be using that much water every day he may not be very savey on water saving. Learning how to work smarter easier and water saving is better than water wastage and buying a bigger tank and carring more water to compinsate.

My water shoots out on full bore but i rinse on the glass and is actually more efficient with water usage as i scrub and rinse so quick but i do see guys with full flow rinsing off the glass making a mess everywhere not actually knowing what they are doing

There is no right or wrong in this game if it is effective but that is counterintuitive and just causes spotting and streaks with water going everywhere it shouldn't

Back