Jobs on the side?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Rob and Emma, Apr 23, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Rob and Emma

Rob and Emma Member

Been asked to do some gutters and clean fascias as well as windows, not a problem got ladders, tools and researched prices before we even started the business

However weve been asked to do some rubbish removals, weve got a car and prices in mind but does anyone do this and are their restrictions on having a license all I can find on internet is license needed if using a van, is this true? the car is a zafira tourer and know by doing our own tip runs we can fit a lot inside and weve used roof for shifting sofas (tied down on roof rack with ratchet belt thing)

Any restrictions on doing this ??

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

Where I am pick ups, vans etc need a ticket from the council, even if its domestic use, if its business use you have to pay.

Wish I had spare time for jobs on the side....... don't have time for my main jobs.

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

You mean eggstra jobs on the side?

Sorry, couldn't resist :rofl:

4. Rob and Emma

Rob and Emma Member

Easter was like 2 weeks ago:rolleyes:

5. Rob and Emma

Rob and Emma Member

sorry my mistake...4 weeks ago!! kids holidays mess with my head lol

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

WOOSH ------>

7. Rob and Emma

Rob and Emma Member

Anyway.... back to business, does anyone shift waste/rubbish or do tip runs
    "where there's muck theres money!" my granddads saying, we do clean windows afterall...

8. Rob and Emma

Rob and Emma Member

I do know what you mean :zipit:

9. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

I don't do rubbish clearance but sometimes find myself saying yes when I should be saying no...I've now got customers waiting on me to mow a back lawn, re-bead/restrain a couple of windows and yesterday agreed to build a gate to stop a dog escaping...the rubbish clearance I imagine you could get away with but technically you shouldn't be dropping trade waste at a residential council tip...if you became a regular visitor you might find questions get asked and without a waste operators licence what you would be doing is probably not lawful...if you only did a few per year you would probably fly under the radar though.

10. MJLwindowcleaning

Hey,
    This I what I used to do before getting this window cleaning bug!

As for the leagal side of things, you need to have an uper tier waste caries licence (£150 for 3 years I think),
    Provide a waste transfer note to the person you get the waste from and then pay to dispose of the waste at the local tip.

But saying all that, we got away without any of the above for 6-8 months doing waste removals.

As I one off, couple times a month and in a car at the tip you would totally get away without any of the above.

It's all just aimed at stoping the type of people that would just take waste and fly tip it.

As for pricing, don't be afraid to charge a really good amount for it, the only other two options people have are doing it themself (most too lazy) or to hire a skip, around here they start at about £170. Sell the fact that your doing all the loading too, so you can charge more than a skip.

We would often fill a lwb ford transit for £240, it's approx 12cu yards.

All the best with it :)

Advertisement