Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cancelling customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Williams Jet Wash

Williams jet wash Services
image.png Just wondering how you all deal with cancelling customers, just received a perfectly polite message from a window cleaning customer- do you say ok thanks very much- or do you ask why? Do you ask ok no problem just for my records can I ask why? As in feedback

Depends how I'm feeling at the time really. Sometimes you can feel it coming if you know what I mean. Single parent, low income, always slow with payment. Ones like that I'm half expecting and you know it's because they're skint. Ones that come out of the blue I normally ask about. Something like "thanks for letting me know and please feel free to contact me again in the future. In order to improve the service I give, can I ask the reason for cancelling the service?"

It feels like a kick in the teeth when this happens. Money is usually the factor, not worth asking why as you'll probably not get the truth anyway.

Depends how I'm feeling at the time really. Sometimes you can feel it coming if you know what I mean. Single parent, low income, always slow with payment. Ones like that I'm half expecting and you know it's because they're skint. Ones that come out of the blue I normally ask about. Something like "thanks for letting me know and please feel free to contact me again in the future. In order to improve the service I give, can I ask the reason for cancelling the service?"
Ok I'm going to ask the last piece you put its a shame she was a late online payer bit on same estate as about 6 others so was handy for me- probably money it's Jan I suppose

I'm guessing this is a fairly new customer? They're the ones you have to bed in and treat with kid gloves until they get to know you, trust you and get used to a regular service. Some of my newly canvassed work seem to think it's an ad hoc service. I'm starting to cull some after only a couple of cleans. You can mostly tell when a customer is going to be a 'stayer', some you have to cajole along until they get used to the service.

I'm guessing this is a fairly new customer? They're the ones you have to bed in and treat with kid gloves until they get to know you, trust you and get used to a regular service. Some of my newly canvassed work seem to think it's an ad hoc service. I'm starting to cull some after only a couple of cleans. You can mostly tell when a customer is going to be a 'stayer', some you have to cajole along until they get used to the service.
Well I've been going there monthly since September 2016 I was working at neighbours and she collared me they are normally food customers as have sought me out- as opposed to canvass- I know what you mean about getting used to you- people buy people and I'm learning that as I try to survive in this game!

Speaking of adhoc service, I had this enquiry the other day. She was really hard work and I lost patience with her in the end. I like the fact that I'm now in the position that I can be fussy about customers instead of having to grab any work that I can.

IMG_5302.PNG

Speaking of adhoc service, I had this enquiry the other day. She was really hard work and I lost patience with her in the end. I like the fact that I'm now in the position that I can be fussy about customers instead of having to grab any work that I can.View attachment 13375
It's a luxury service for some too. I was cleaning on an estate where I've moved to today. The amount of houses that have filthy windows is unreal. The estate has been up at least a year, I canvassed it about 4 months ago and got half a days work off it. I decided to drop some leaflets off while I was working today. The other problem is when the windows are filthy and you come along on the first clean and custy can now see the front garden out of the windows they can't grasp that you're maintaining their windows and think they need to be dirty for them to be cleaned again.

It's a luxury service for some too. I was cleaning on an estate where I've moved to today. The amount of houses that have filthy windows is unreal. The estate has been up at least a year, I canvassed it about 4 months ago and got half a days work off it. I decided to drop some leaflets off while I was working today. The other problem is when the windows are filthy and you come along on the first clean and custy can now see the front garden out of the windows they can't grasp that you're maintaining their windows and think they need to be dirty for them to be cleaned again.
I totally agree and come across that sort of thing fairly often. I've also had a few recently that have asked to change to a less frequent cleaning schedule. Frustrating but what can you do. I tend to educate my customers as I go along. Nothing major most of the time, just things dropped into conversation and steering them in the right direction. For example, if a customer starts making noises about wanting to drop off over winter, I'll start talking about the importance of keeping the frames and sills clean during the winter months and how I charge a first clean price when/if I start with them again in the spring. Occasionally I'll have to get a little bit firm but at the end of the day you can't force them to have them cleaned. Here's one from the other day. She's normally pretty good to be fair but has skipped a clean a few months back so I thought I'd better be a bit firmer with her. I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her though.

You_Doodle_2017-01-23T22_50_11Z.jpg

seems to be lose one gain one lately for me had a cracker the other day been cleaning there for about a year do a lot in same village said yeah we're desperate for cleaner brilliant initially a year later I think they were sick of the sight of me in the end and cancelled saying they were having new Windows fitted 8 weeks later as I drive by I notice no new Windows- you can't win your bang on to the day as agreed 4 weekly and they're sick to see you if your 4 days overdue a clean with other customers they've been known to text me saying when are you due next to clean?!

To try and avoid this I'm adding a terms of service sheet to all first clean tickets. IE payment expectation-and that text reminders will be sent, schedule, and such like.

Think it will help set the tone more; but when I get a cancellation I don't bother at all now. Better gone now than ending up messing us about later.

Due to the nature of the business I don't think you can ever have a perfect round where no one ever skips or cancels or turns bad.

You might be able to get it 95% Perfect but it's ever evolving.

I've lost 3 tonight this is a weird one clean her windows and her nana someone else has been there to clean and done a bad job and I'm getting blame? Confused her nana hasn't spoke to me about this?! image.png

I've lost 3 tonight this is a weird one clean her windows and her nana someone else has been there to clean and done a bad job and I'm getting blame? Confused her nana hasn't spoke to me about this?! View attachment 13377
I had a house where someone kept coming to clean them just before me. Funny because we must of been on the same 4 weekly schedule, sometimes we were minutes apart because the sills were still dripping with dirty water. They skipped windows too and never detailed...

Anyway, she was my customer and after explaining said that it was fine as long as I kept doing them amd she was only going to pay me - they're still getting done too!! :confused:

I had a house where someone kept coming to clean them just before me. Funny because we must of been on the same 4 weekly schedule, sometimes we were minutes apart because the sills were still dripping with dirty water. They skipped windows too and never detailed...
Anyway, she was my customer and after explaining said that it was fine as long as I kept doing them amd she was only going to pay me - they're still getting done too!! :confused:
Maybe she has told the other guy the se story and is too scared to say no to someone.

I'm at that stage where it's just part of the game now. When you hit certain capacity you will have a continuing flux of customers. Does not bother me in the least these days.

Nothing wrong with politely asking why as this will help you understand your geographics and demographics of clientelle better. Do bear in mind some would rathe lie to you than give you an honest response.

If got a black book with awkward customers that have or I have cancelled worth keeping as my canvasser can skip it when knocking . There's always going to be odd customers that don't want it done . Just chin up and crack on . And I find if one cancels you pick up two

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back